Dems Rebuild

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

If Biden wants to guarantee a Democrat loss in 2022 and Kamala’s loss for President in 2024, forgiving student loans will pretty much do it.  

Think again bucko

There are these things called polls. They are the things that told us Biden would win months ago. Maybe you should follow them and you will see the progressive agenda not only polls well, but well over 50% on most issues. 

3 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Think again bucko

There are these things called polls. They are the things that told us Biden would win months ago. Maybe you should follow them and you will see the progressive agenda not only polls well, but well over 50% on most issues. 

I guess we shall see.  

Thank you for letting me know about polls.  I believe they also said Biden would win Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin by 13, Collins would lose by 6, Ernst would lose, Graham race would be close, TX was a swing state.  
I will pass on the polls. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I guess we shall see.  

Thank you for letting me know about polls.  I believe they also said Biden would win Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin by 13, Collins would lose by 6, Ernst would lose, Graham race would be close, TX was a swing state.  
I will pass on the polls. 

No, you probably wont see because he wont do it. And for your sake thats a good thing because if he enacted even a little amount of these popular policies the republicans would never win again. Remember the last actual progressive president we had, FDR, won four times and after he died republicans had to make term limits. FDR won 48 states in one of those elections. 

I cant for the life of me understand why people think eliminating student loans wouldnt be an amazing thing for this economy. We would have job growth and spending like never before and home ownership would skyrocket. What happens when the boomers die off and the rest of the generations are saddled with crazy amounts of debt mister economic genius?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

No, you probably wont see because he wont do it. And for your sake thats a good thing because if he enacted even a little amount of these popular policies the republicans would never win again. Remember the last actual progressive president we had, FDR, won four times and after he died republicans had to make term limits. FDR won 48 states in one of those elections. 

I cant for the life of me understand why people think eliminating student loans wouldnt be an amazing thing for this economy. We would have job growth and spending like never before and home ownership would skyrocket. What happens when the boomers die off and the rest of the generations are saddled with crazy amounts of debt mister economic genius?

And my question always goes back to this:  if eliminating the debt is going to so great for the long term future, then why not just eliminate all debt and take the economy to the moon?  Think of how much money people will have to spend if they don’t have to make car or house or credit card payments anymore!   It would be awesome sauce.  

have the Gov privatize all the car loans and then forgive those too.  That would free up almost the same amount of money as student loans.

We are a nation of consumers, not really savers.  Those same financial geniuses who took out way more debt than they should have will most likely do it again in some other form of debt because they got reward for their idiocy the first time.  Do we forgive that debt too?  

News flash, we are already saddled with Crazy amounts of debt as a nation. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Here’s a real life scenario I am going through right now so you know I truly believe what I say about this subject:

I have a senior in HS (my #2) and #2 just received two red envelopes today from UNL.  One was a notification of a $60K scholarship and the other was notification of a $20K scholarship.  I’m sure #2 can get a few more private scholly’s also and go to school debt free even  paying the out-of-state costs.  
#2 is also waiting for December Acceptance letters from MIT and Chicago.  Much much costlier schools but #2 dreams of working on Wall Street and graduating MIT or Chicago virtually guarantees that with a starting salary of over $150,000.  

Free school with a slower career path, or quite a bit of debt with an accelerated career path.  Whichever way #2 chooses, (hoping #2  gets accepted and gets a choice) we have had many discussions about what those loans will cost on a monthly basis and don’t take that lightly because they would be #2’s to pay off come hell or high water.  
I would not expect anyone to flip the bill for #2 for choosing a more expensive option. Just like I wouldn’t want to pay for others who choose expensive options and then can’t make them work.  Examples that happen tens of thousands of times a year are when kids forgo CC/JUCO and in-state options to attend a private liberal arts college and get a non marketable degree!  Or go that same route for a teaching degree!?!?  Everyone knows what teachers make, so why not go the cheapest route?  Art History majors, Mid Century English Lit majors, 19th century Native American studies major, etc...All cool things to learn about I’m sure, but very few marketable jobs.  Those people knew the loan amounts and knew the job prospects.  

people have choices, they aren’t forced at gun point to max out the loans available to them.  

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

And my question always goes back to this:  if eliminating the debt is going to so great for the long term future, then why not just eliminate all debt and take the economy to the moon?  Think of how much money people will have to spend if they don’t have to make car or house or credit card payments anymore!   It would be awesome sauce.  

have the Gov privatize all the car loans and then forgive those too.  That would free up almost the same amount of money as student loans.

We are a nation of consumers, not really savers.  Those same financial geniuses who took out way more debt than they should have will most likely do it again in some other form of debt because they got reward for their idiocy the first time.  Do we forgive that debt too?  

Ill respond to this in more detail when I have time but I have to get on the road to Denver for the holidays. But for now I will respond with, people can eliminate that debt. Its called bankruptcy. So they do have that option. Students dont have that option thanks to...wait for it...Joe Biden. See its not hard to criticize “your side” whatever my side is as Im progressive in some areas and conservative in others as are most people. 

Have a happy Thanksgiving. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Ill respond to this in more detail when I have time but I have to get on the road to Denver for the holidays. But for now I will respond with, people can eliminate that debt. Its called bankruptcy. So they do have that option. Students dont have that option thanks to...wait for it...Joe Biden. See its not hard to criticize “your side” whatever my side is as Im progressive in some areas and conservative in others as are most people. 

Have a happy Thanksgiving. 

I have already stated that in previous messages I have said the BK laws should be revised. 

• Plus1 2
On 11/25/2020 at 10:13 PM, Archy1221 said:

Here's a thought: maybe we should hold the lenders to account instead of only talking about the borrowers. Every single one of those car or house or credit card debts can only happen if some lender allows it to happen. We've protected those lenders over and over again and indeed given them free (or nearly free) money to lend. But when there's talk of bailing out the borrowers, then the fiscal responsibility argument comes out.

And yes, I'd be fine with debating if and how to forgive some or all of the loans of regular Americans. However, the government doesn't hold those loans like it does for student loans, which is why student loans would be so easy for the government to forgive.

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Here's a thought: maybe we should hold the lenders to account instead of only talking about the borrowers. Every single one of those car or house or credit card debts can only happen if some lender allows it to happen. We've protected those lenders over and over again and indeed given them free (or nearly free) money to lend. But when there's talk of bailing out the borrowers, then the fiscal responsibility argument comes out.

And yes, I'd be fine with debating if and how to forgive some or all of the loans of regular Americans. However, the government doesn't hold those loans like it does for student loans, which is why student loans would be so easy for the government to forgive.

Another thought to add onto your first paragraph.  Let’s hold the educational institutions to account for taking all this loan money.  How about we hold them accountable instead of making Joe and Jane, who never went to college, pay for the mistakes of those that did.  

Government should have never take. Over the student loan industry IMO but that is probably a seperate discussion. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Another thought to add onto your first paragraph.  Let’s hold the educational institutions to account for taking all this loan money.  How about we hold them accountable instead of making Joe and Jane, who never went to college, pay for the mistakes of those that did.  

Government should have never take. Over the student loan industry IMO but that is probably a seperate discussion. 

Sounds good. And let's fund the educational system with the same level of funding that it received when the previous generations went to school.