What's up with all the militaristic stuff at games?

khaake

My wife and I were lucky enough to attend the Minnesota game last night. Had fun. But I have to say... what is up with all of the militaristic stuff at the stadium? Given that the university is an institution of learning and not a military base, doesn't it seem over-the-top?

This spills over into the B1G televised games as well. Advertising, USMC Leaders of the Week series, etc.

I just find it odd, and a little off-putting.

Yesterday was Veteran's day. You know the guys and gals, that have since the country was born, put their lives on the line, so you could be put off a little. So sorry it offended you. But of course all those people doing this off putting job support the right for you to have your asinine opinion.

• Fire 5

You do know that the name of the stadium is Memorial Stadium?

It's in memory of the fallen soldiers of WWI.

I grew up in the 60s, Vietnam War. Wasn't too enamored with the military then, facing the draft. I have come to appreciate and respect what the military has done for our country. Maybe you can just pretend the things that bother you are commercials and zone out. While it might annoy you, it doesn't really hurt you either.

I respect your feelings.

• Fire 1

My wife and I were lucky enough to attend the Minnesota game last night. Had fun. But I have to say... what is up with all of the militaristic stuff at the stadium? Given that the university is an institution of learning and not a military base, doesn't it seem over-the-top?

This spills over into the B1G televised games as well. Advertising, USMC Leaders of the Week series, etc.

I just find it odd, and a little off-putting.

Is this your first time watching a football game since 9/11? I'm being mostly sarcastic but reserving 1-2% in case you don't regularly watch football games. Methinks you're getting your troll on tho.

No, it was a serious question. I guess I just don't see the need for the BTN or the university to participate in such rituals, It wasn't just the game yesterday, I've been at games in the past that were similar. As xmas32 alluded to, these public rituals are pretty common anymore at sporting events of all types.

No, it was a serious question. I guess I just don't see the need for the BTN or the university to participate in such rituals, It wasn't just the game yesterday, I've been at games in the past that were similar. As xmas32 alluded to, these public rituals are pretty common anymore at sporting events of all types.

What "rituals" are you referring to? If you let us know what you are so bothered, we might be able to offer clearer commentary.

There has been a long established link between football and the military. I'm not a huge fan of the forced patriotism that seems to occur at football games personally but I certainly understand the reasons behind it. During Veterans Day weekend, it was certainly tuned up, that's for sure.

Sorry, 26 years in the Marine Corps, hard to believe that todays youth has so little knowledge of what has been given them by people dying for them. Freedom is not free. I joined the Marine Corps in September of 1965, two tours in Viet Nam and scars to prove it. Very proud of my service and of every single young man and lady that have served.

Most are not willing to put their life on the line for their country.

Thank you Marine, I appreciate your service.

What "rituals" are you referring to? If you let us know what you are so bothered, we might be able to offer clearer commentary.

What rituals is a fair question, CH, and one I don't really have an answer to. There just seems to be a cumulative effect where it's almost like such things are an unstated religion or something. As such I don't see the need for BTN or the University to participate in it to the degree that they do.

There has been a long established link between football and the military. I'm not a huge fan of the forced patriotism that seems to occur at football games personally but I certainly understand the reasons behind it. During Veterans Day weekend, it was certainly tuned up, that's for sure.

Yeah, it could be that things being amped up for Veterans Day weekend might be clouding my judgement somewhat.