What's up with all the militaristic stuff at games?

khaake

Quit beating around the bush. Call it like it is. It's part of the anti-Americana disease that is sweeping our country. any sort of "America first" mindset, because of Trump, is quickly perceived by many as racist or whatever the hell it is. Kneeling for the anthem instead of being able to be discussed with any sort of two-way intelligence, quickly transpires into discussions as to why we do the anthem to begin with. it's absolutely ridiculous. This is the road we're heading down. Now we got ppl actually questioning the honoring of people who's kind are the reason we have the freedom to do what we're doing to begin with. it's bullsh#t.

I went to the game saturday night. I voted for Trump. I am not happy by the unreasonable and straight up stupid responses, violent and not, by both sides, going on across our country. I was concerned Saturday. I was taking my young kids. I was nervous about what we might come across. Would there be a group of a couple hundred around doing some stupid little protest of the election? Would there be some trouble makers heckling folks about trump? Well, shame on me for doubting the good people of this state. I walked around for about 3 hours before kickoff with my kids. making the rounds. Doin the fun PG family stuff. I never saw a thing. I guess the only thing i saw were the abundance of Jesus signs at Stadium and T.

Im a very prideful American. I have friends and relatives that have served. My high school mascot was Patriots. I have a sh#t ton of faith in this nation that regardless what we encounter in the near future and far, we will prevail. Regardless what you are politically or morally, the American spirit will fight on.

khaake. i pity you. I really do. Full blown condolences. Your lack of education or lack of understanding of these concepts is really sad. You would do yourself a favor to get it right.

well said.
Agreed.

While I haven't posted here much, I've lurked here and on quite a few different message boards for quite some time.

This has to be one of, if not the worst threads ever.

Thanks to all of you who have served. You don't get near the recognition you deserve.

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line..

George Carlin,

• Fire 1

Quit beating around the bush. Call it like it is. It's part of the anti-Americana disease that is sweeping our country. any sort of "America first" mindset, because of Trump, is quickly perceived by many as racist or whatever the hell it is. Kneeling for the anthem instead of being able to be discussed with any sort of two-way intelligence, quickly transpires into discussions as to why we do the anthem to begin with. it's absolutely ridiculous. This is the road we're heading down. Now we got ppl actually questioning the honoring of people who's kind are the reason we have the freedom to do what we're doing to begin with. it's bullsh#t.

I went to the game saturday night. I voted for Trump. I am not happy by the unreasonable and straight up stupid responses, violent and not, by both sides, going on across our country. I was concerned Saturday. I was taking my young kids. I was nervous about what we might come across. Would there be a group of a couple hundred around doing some stupid little protest of the election? Would there be some trouble makers heckling folks about trump? Well, shame on me for doubting the good people of this state. I walked around for about 3 hours before kickoff with my kids. making the rounds. Doin the fun PG family stuff. I never saw a thing. I guess the only thing i saw were the abundance of Jesus signs at Stadium and T.

Im a very prideful American. I have friends and relatives that have served. My high school mascot was Patriots. I have a sh#t ton of faith in this nation that regardless what we encounter in the near future and far, we will prevail. Regardless what you are politically or morally, the American spirit will fight on.

khaake. i pity you. I really do. Full blown condolences. Your lack of education or lack of understanding of these concepts is really sad. You would do yourself a favor to get it right.

train_derails.jpg.size_.xxlarge.letterbo

Count, it is quite a leap to go from somebody questioning why militarism is a sizable part of a college football stadium experience (or BTN presentation), to claiming that such a question is part of an anti-american disease that is sweeping the country.

The reason I brought up the question to begin with does not stem from who won the presidential election or who you may have supported or who I may have supported. The reason instead is that I question whether it is in the best interest of the nation, long-term, to continue to stir up emotions which have led us down a path to fifteen years of war (and counting). I am not saying that veterans should not be honored, but we seem to be caught in a loop to outdo each other in acts and shows of so-called patriotism, and historically speaking that has not always ended well. For the university to voluntarily insert itself into this loop seems largely unnecessary and unwise.

I, too, have friends, neighbors, and family members who have served and are serving in the armed forced. I, too, went to a school whose mascot was the Patriots. I, too, have tremendous faith in our nation's ability to meet the challenges before us. But it does not follow that it is the place of the university to be an active participant in militarism. It simply isn't.

It can't be that big of a deal at the Stadium, you couldn't name more than a couple of things you saw there, and that's after people reminded you.

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line..

George Carlin, [/size]

I miss George.

My wife and I were lucky enough to attend the Minnesota game last night. Had fun. But I have to say... what is up with all of the militaristic stuff at the stadium? Given that the university is an institution of learning and not a military base, doesn't it seem over-the-top?

This spills over into the B1G televised games as well. Advertising, USMC Leaders of the Week series, etc.

I do understand your point of view. Everyone evaluates what they see through a lens of what they've experienced. I'm sure you know, but at my age I hate to make assumptions, so I'm going to make my point anyway. Regardless of any "militaristic stuff" on display, every time I hear the national anthem, and see the flag on prominent display, I choke back the emotion of men I knew and served with and called brothers, that signed on the line and said "I'll go"....then didn't come back home to their families. And those that did, and came back, but not as themselves, either physically or mentally or emotionally. I think of my grandfather, and uncles and cousins and son that did the same thing...said "I'll go". And then the overwhelming number of those that did the same, came back and picked up life without a hitch, many of whom are likely standing within arm's reach of you where ever you stand in the stadium. I think of them and say to myself, this is a great place to be and a great time to be here. That's what I think, based on the lens of my life.

And I do truly hope you enjoyed the game. It's a great place to be on a Saturday!

• Fire 2

I believe the number is less than 2% of our population defend this country. that 2% gives about 99.9% of their time and their families time to that effort. That is 365 days a year, 7 days a week and 24 hours a day on call. It seems to me you could withstand a fly over, the National Anthem for them. I know it would be wasting a couple of minutes of your day.

Many come home unable to live a normal life, paralyzed, brain injuries, missing limbs. And some pay the ultimate price for you to be free to make your ridiculous comments. Those are the people we honor.

I truly believe every single person at the age of 18 years, should serve this country, be it military, or not, but service to the country, so you might begin to appreciate what thousands have died for, that thousands are in harms way this very second. Life truly is not about a football game, where the participants like to call themselves warriors. Life is caring more about your fellow man and his safety, his welfare. The people we honor are not making the decisions to go to war normally. They are following orders as a sense of duty. Loyalty, honor, pride and love of this country. As another stated, if you have not served, you really have no idea what these young men and women give up for everyone.

Less than 1% of the country is dedicated to creating electricity. We all use electricity every day, it's deadly important, so let's celebrate electricians before every game.

Less than 0.05% of the country are doctors. Doctors are something that we all need, and nobody else can do, so let's celebrate doctors before every game.

I mean... right? There are 100 professions, between soldiers and high-rise riveters and mine diggers and aircraft pilots and loggers and every other job that is utterly crucial to the day-to-day function of this country.

Without doctors those soldiers can't keep fighting. Without oilmen those soldiers can't get to their battle. Without farmers they can't eat. Without moms those soldiers never get born.

So let's celebrate every one of them before every game. Let's spend an hour before the game starts. We can sing the Anthem. We can watch a surgeon perform. We can watch a chef make dinner. We can drive tractors in formation across the field.

Right?

Tell me which of those we shouldn't honor - doctors, moms, farmers, construction workers, miners... whatever. Let's do 'em all, every game, because they're important.

Not joking, not exaggerating.

Or, let's understand that this is entertainment, a game, and we don't have to glom on anything on top of that.

Just let the game be the game. Stop with all the extra stuff.

Honor moms on Mothers Day.

Honor Veterans on Veteran's Day.

Honor doctors on... whoops - there is no Doctor's Day. No Farmer's Day. No Miner's day.

Don't tell me it's "pathetic." It's simple practicality.

I'll be thinking of this on Saturday when I have my cap off, hand over heart, singing the National Anthem as best I can with my crummy voice. I'll be honoring the country, our Veterans, and thankful for their service. But that doesn't mean that Anthem belongs there, before that GAME.

We cheapen the Anthem every time we sing it before a sports event. It's a wrong-minded tradition that needs to stop.

• Fire 3

Well said knapp.

I'll share another semi-related perspective.

I took 3 foreigners to watch UNL's graduation ceremony because their friend/relative was graduating and she was my roommate. There was a girl there with really good grades who graduated from the ROTC. I think she had a 4.0 and did something else special academically. This was all announced by whoever was announcing that the diplomas were about to be handed out. There was a long standing ovation for her while she stood up. I didn't have a problem with any of this.

But the 3 asked me afterwards what it was all about and it was really difficult for me to explain it to them. Even after I did they didn't really understand why it elicited that response. They didn't have a problem with it. They were just confused. That kind of thing doesn't happen near as much other places. (and actually, they don't have graduation ceremonies like ours either - people graduate and get their diplomas. The End).

Of course, there's nothing wrong with being proud of this fact. But it also isn't at all weird that some people think all of the patriotic/military stuff before a game where men beat each other up seems out of place sometimes.

Knapp, maybe you're right. The anthem doesn't HAVE to be played before games. But it is, and rightfully so, and it should be respected as long as it is played. Not trying to bring the MRI thread back, but that's how I view it. Nothing is a better American pastime than football, and I feel like it should be honored as such.

It shouldn't be played before games, but it is, and although it isn't right, it should be respected as long as it's played. And I will continue to do that, every game for the rest of my life, as long as it's played.

Football can be honored for what it is, just fine, on its own. It doesn't need to be wrapped in patriotism to be special, and patriotism doesn't need football to be special. Both are fine on their own.

I know this is an unpopular stance and I know I'll never affect any kind of change. I'm completely fine with that, and I'll still look askance at anyone who doesn't sing, or doff their cap, or put their hand over their heart during the Anthem. But that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about the crossing of these streams.

I don't understand. We all love America here. We all appreciate our military and the sacrifices they make - past and present servicemen and servicewomen.

Why do we have suspicions about each other on this count? Why do we engage in the practice of telling one another off? Do we imagine it's on others' behalf that we do this? I struggle to see how it could be.

I don't understand. We all love America here. We all appreciate our military and the sacrifices they make - past and present servicemen and servicewomen.

Why do we have suspicions about each other on this count? Why do we engage in the practice of telling one another off? Do we imagine it's on others' behalf that we do this? I struggle to see how it could be.

How dare you assume I don't have an agenda!

Knapp, maybe you're right. The anthem doesn't HAVE to be played before games. But it is, and rightfully so, and it should be respected as long as it is played. Not trying to bring the MRI thread back, but that's how I view it. Nothing is a better American pastime than football, and I feel like it should be honored as such.

It shouldn't be played before games, but it is, and although it isn't right, it should be respected as long as it's played. And I will continue to do that, every game for the rest of my life, as long as it's played.

Football can be honored for what it is, just fine, on its own. It doesn't need to be wrapped in patriotism to be special, and patriotism doesn't need football to be special. Both are fine on their own.

I know this is an unpopular stance and I know I'll never affect any kind of change. I'm completely fine with that, and I'll still look askance at anyone who doesn't sing, or doff their cap, or put their hand over their heart during the Anthem. But that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about the crossing of these streams.

I can respect you on that.

• Fire 2

I can respect you on that.

Thanks.

I know this is a wildly unpopular stance to take. I know we all love the troops and we've all learned from the mistakes America made when our boys came home from Vietnam. So it's hard to say something like this.

I say it out of love for my country, and respect for our rightfully proud symbols of freedom.

• Fire 1