What's up with all the militaristic stuff at games?

khaake

No, it was a serious question. I guess I just don't see the need for the BTN or the university to participate in such rituals, It wasn't just the game yesterday, I've been at games in the past that were similar. As xmas32 alluded to, these public rituals are pretty common anymore at sporting events of all types.

What "rituals" are you referring to? If you let us know what you are so bothered, we might be able to offer clearer commentary.

What rituals is a fair question, CH, and one I don't really have an answer to. There just seems to be a cumulative effect where it's almost like such things are an unstated religion or something. As such I don't see the need for BTN or the University to participate in it to the degree that they do.

You're asking why there are certain rituals but can't actually point any out?

62426911.jpg

• Fire 1

I would somewhat agree with your viewpoint if it hadn't been Veteran's Day. People seem to try to out-patriotic each other a lot. Like carrying the flag out during the tunnel walk. Not sure what football has to do with being patriotic other than that it's an American sport.

The team started carrying the flag out when Bo brought in a military member to speak to the team, believe it was gifted to the team from the individual and was one he had carried with him during one of his tours.

It may not mean as much to the team now as it did to the former players the flag was presented to, but nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's a nod to that military individual.

No, it was a serious question. I guess I just don't see the need for the BTN or the university to participate in such rituals, It wasn't just the game yesterday, I've been at games in the past that were similar. As xmas32 alluded to, these public rituals are pretty common anymore at sporting events of all types.

What "rituals" are you referring to? If you let us know what you are so bothered, we might be able to offer clearer commentary.

What rituals is a fair question, CH, and one I don't really have an answer to. There just seems to be a cumulative effect where it's almost like such things are an unstated religion or something. As such I don't see the need for BTN or the University to participate in it to the degree that they do.

62426911.jpg

Yes, ritual wasn't the best choice of words. But it's not difficult to put together a list of military themed stuff taking place at games and on BTN. And if patriotism is added in, the list is longer. For some reason people tend to conflate the military and patriotism to the point where questioning the appropriateness of routine militaristic events taking place at a football game can get you accused of being un-american.

So other than extra tributes everywhere yesterday on Veterans Day weekend of all things, what "rituals" that normally occur on Saturdays at Memorial Stadium are "overkill" in your opinion??? The color guard and National Anthem? The flyover??? The recognition of the servicemen that executed said flyover???

Not calling unamerican or anything like that, just curious what is being overly "shoved down fans throats" in regards to military platforms. These are the normal three things that I see every Saturday that would even fall into your category.

Really confused here

You're asking why there are certain rituals but can't actually point any out?62426911.jpg

Yes, ritual wasn't the best choice of words. But it's not difficult to put together a list of military themed stuff taking place at games and on BTN. And if patriotism is added in, the list is longer. For some reason people tend to conflate the military and patriotism to the point where questioning the appropriateness of routine militaristic events taking place at a football game can get you accused of being un-american.

Nebraska is a very blue collar, republican state that takes great pride in both patriotism and service members. The practice of honoring them and America is hardly a new practice or anything out of the ordinary.

You're asking why there are certain rituals but can't actually point any out?62426911.jpg

Nebraska is a very blue collar, republican state that takes great pride in both patriotism and service members. The practice of honoring them and America is hardly a new practice or anything out of the ordinary.
I am sorry, being blue collar or republican has no bearing what so ever on your level of patriotism.

62426911.jpg

But...yet.... You still can't list any.