What's up with all the militaristic stuff at games?

khaake

Wow someone is un-American

Well, I don’t think that anyone has to love the US government or its institutions (e.g. the military) to be a ‘true American.’ For instance, one of my ancestors fought against the United States during the Civil War because his father was murdered by a pro-Union paramilitary organization (the Jayhawkers). I don’t think he was ‘un-American’ just because he fought against the US Army.

So other than extra tributes everywhere yesterday on Veterans Day weekend of all things, what "rituals" that normally occur on Saturdays at Memorial Stadium are "overkill" in your opinion??? The color guard and National Anthem? The flyover??? The recognition of the servicemen that executed said flyover???

Not calling unamerican or anything like that, just curious what is being overly "shoved down fans throats" in regards to military platforms. These are the normal three things that I see every Saturday that would even fall into your category.

Really confused here

Sure, there's your list. Mentions of Sept 11. There are others. It adds up. BTN has regular (and many) recruitment ads, the per-game Marines "Leader of the Week" for outstanding play, etc. After awhile it borders on being one long commercial.

Sleep well tonight, as there are warriors protecting you. Giving years of their lives, and their families lives so you can be safe, and it seems unappreciative.

Also on the financial side, it is a prime recruiting approach. Young men in the age group of service to the country watch these programs. Those adds are paying some of the money that Nebraska takes in from the conference.

• Fire 2

So other than extra tributes everywhere yesterday on Veterans Day weekend of all things, what "rituals" that normally occur on Saturdays at Memorial Stadium are "overkill" in your opinion??? The color guard and National Anthem? The flyover??? The recognition of the servicemen that executed said flyover???

Not calling unamerican or anything like that, just curious what is being overly "shoved down fans throats" in regards to military platforms. These are the normal three things that I see every Saturday that would even fall into your category.

Really confused here

Sure, there's your list. Mentions of Sept 11. There are others. It adds up. BTN has regular (and many) recruitment ads, the per-game Marines "Leader of the Week" for outstanding play, etc. After awhile it borders on being one long commercial.

Exactly. With out a draft you have to recruit people to join the military. Many people who watch football are in the demographic that the military is trying to reach. Not so much with "Dancing with the Stars" or "Golden Girls" reruns.

Same with beer commercials

• Fire 2

Really confused here

Exactly. With out a draft you have to recruit people to join the military. Many people who watch football are in the demographic that the military is trying to reach. Not so much with "Dancing with the Stars" or "Golden Girls" reruns.

Same with beer commercials

I love football and I love the Golden Girls. They were funny as hell. So please don't lump it in with Dancing with the Stars.

• Fire 1

Really confused here

Ah sir, I have a very simple solution for you. If you don't like it, don't watch the games. If it makes your groin area exceptionally chafed to see a public institution honor the men and women of our nation's military, you can choose to not participate. Don't donate to the University, don't watch the games, don't cheer for the team and don't visit the fan based online forums for said University. I'm fairly certain the vast majority won't be sad to see you go. Dry your eyes, my delicate butterfly. All is not lost. You, your dollar and your opinion have options. I'm hoping you take all three elsewhere.

• Fire 6

My wife and I were lucky enough to attend the Minnesota game last night. Had fun. But I have to say... what is up with all of the militaristic stuff at the stadium? Given that the university is an institution of learning and not a military base, doesn't it seem over-the-top?

This spills over into the B1G televised games as well. Advertising, USMC Leaders of the Week series, etc.

I just find it odd, and a little off-putting.

y88yyj.jpg

• Fire 1

Sorry, 26 years in the Marine Corps, hard to believe that todays youth has so little knowledge of what has been given them by people dying for them. Freedom is not free. I joined the Marine Corps in September of 1965, two tours in Viet Nam and scars to prove it. Very proud of my service and of every single young man and lady that have served.

Most are not willing to put their life on the line for their country.

Thank you Marine very much for your 26 years of faithful service. If it wasn't for guys like you I wouldn't have had the chance to volunteer to serve 21 (and still counting) years for this great country.

• Fire 1

The great majority of Americans (I believe this is still true) are atleast somewhat patriotic and while Republicans are far more patriotic than Dems, honoring the military through such things as the playing of the national anthem, the fly over and so on are just good ways to remind ourselves of the freedoms we all enjoy and how we maintain them. I recall the fly over after 9/11 with the stealth bombers and the roar of approval from that crowd sent goose bumps down the backs of about 75,900 of the 76,000 present. Same was true at the Rose Bowl with the fly over by those same jets in the Rose Parade. Those liberal Californians and all the Nebraska and Miami fans cheered as loudly as ever. I dare say many were given a little comfort in knowing that our military was present, in the background but clearly visible to all, to discourage more terror attacks, etc.

America has been attacked many times in our history by enemies foreign and domestic. Sometimes we tend to forget until the next even occurs. Remembering those who served and even more importantly why, is very important. Saying the pledge of allegiance is similar, whether it is in Kindergarten or at the convening of Congress. The world is filled with those who would tear us down and do us harm if they could. We are prepared because we must be. Being patriotic is a GOOD thing and is critical to the survival of our nation and all who live in it. Go Hushers and Go America!

• Fire 2

No, it was a serious question. I guess I just don't see the need for the BTN or the university to participate in such rituals, It wasn't just the game yesterday, I've been at games in the past that were similar. As xmas32 alluded to, these public rituals are pretty common anymore at sporting events of all types.

What "rituals" are you referring to? If you let us know what you are so bothered, we might be able to offer clearer commentary.
What rituals is a fair question, CH, and one I don't really have an answer to. There just seems to be a cumulative effect where it's almost like such things are an unstated religion or something. As such I don't see the need for BTN or the University to participate in it to the degree that they do.
You're asking why there are certain rituals but can't actually point any out?62426911.jpg
Yes, ritual wasn't the best choice of words. But it's not difficult to put together a list of military themed stuff taking place at games and on BTN. And if patriotism is added in, the list is longer. For some reason people tend to conflate the military and patriotism to the point where questioning the appropriateness of routine militaristic events taking place at a football game can get you accused of being un-american.
Nebraska is a very blue collar, republican state that takes great pride in both patriotism and service members. The practice of honoring them and America is hardly a new practice or anything out of the ordinary.
I am sorry, being blue collar or republican has no bearing what so ever on your level of patriotism.

Statistically it tends to be more prevelant. Being blue collar and republican isn't a requirement obviously, thought that was pretty clear, but patriotism is more celebrated in an area like Nebraska as a result.