What's up with all the militaristic stuff at games?

khaake

It was a military appreciation game. Thus why the band did their special pregame show, and the men and women of Nebraska who have fallen were honored for the national anthem. I don't get what is so bad about honoring veterans and fallen servicemen/women at all.

Wow, a state-funded university gives appreciation to the military on Veteran's Day weekend? Oh the humanity!!!

• Fire 2

True, it was Veteran's Day weekend. As I stated before that might have clouded my opinion. But just going from recent memory it seems that this type of thing isn't that uncommon. Also, I only attend a game or two a year - maybe my sample size is too small. I just don't remember it being such a part of the experience when I was younger.

No, it was a serious question. I guess I just don't see the need for the BTN or the university to participate in such rituals, It wasn't just the game yesterday, I've been at games in the past that were similar. As xmas32 alluded to, these public rituals are pretty common anymore at sporting events of all types.

What "rituals" are you referring to? If you let us know what you are so bothered, we might be able to offer clearer commentary.
What rituals is a fair question, CH, and one I don't really have an answer to. There just seems to be a cumulative effect where it's almost like such things are an unstated religion or something. As such I don't see the need for BTN or the University to participate in it to the degree that they do.
You're asking why there are certain rituals but can't actually point any out?62426911.jpg
Yes, ritual wasn't the best choice of words. But it's not difficult to put together a list of military themed stuff taking place at games and on BTN. And if patriotism is added in, the list is longer. For some reason people tend to conflate the military and patriotism to the point where questioning the appropriateness of routine militaristic events taking place at a football game can get you accused of being un-american.
Nebraska is a very blue collar, republican state that takes great pride in both patriotism and service members. The practice of honoring them and America is hardly a new practice or anything out of the ordinary.
I am sorry, being blue collar or republican has no bearing what so ever on your level of patriotism.

Statistically it tends to be more prevelant. Being blue collar and republican isn't a requirement obviously, thought that was pretty clear, but patriotism is more celebrated in an area like Nebraska as a result.

What statistics are you referring to, I wasn't aware that there were surveys or studies on the level of patriotism by state? Conservatism and Liberal ideology don't encompass being more patriotic that one another. I live in NY and I can tell you that patriotism is just as celebrated here as it was in my home town in SW Iowa. Having also visited a fair bit of these beautiful United States, being red or blue has no bearing on the level of patriotism.

I'm just going to rephrase this "guys why do we honor our all volunteer military when we are and have been At war for 15 years?! ?? I don't get it????"

Dub, with all due respect we *do* honor our military. A lot. I just don't see the need for it to seep into more areas, such as college football games.

1) If it's DoD funded, I don't like it either.

2) If it's not, as with anything in life, if it's not speaking to you then maybe it wasn't meant *for* you. It might be meant for the gold star family sitting in the stands. As I said, because you find the spartan culture off-putting, do not lose sight of the fact that we are, and have been at war for 15 years.

Anyway, props for having some backbone in this discussion.

Various NFL teams have received DoD funds for in-stadium military-themed events, but to my knowledge UNL has not been a part of that. I'm not sure who you'd contact to find out, though.

Quit beating around the bush. Call it like it is. It's part of the anti-Americana disease that is sweeping our country. any sort of "America first" mindset, because of Trump, is quickly perceived by many as racist or whatever the hell it is. Kneeling for the anthem instead of being able to be discussed with any sort of two-way intelligence, quickly transpires into discussions as to why we do the anthem to begin with. it's absolutely ridiculous. This is the road we're heading down. Now we got ppl actually questioning the honoring of people who's kind are the reason we have the freedom to do what we're doing to begin with. it's bullsh#t.

I went to the game saturday night. I voted for Trump. I am not happy by the unreasonable and straight up stupid responses, violent and not, by both sides, going on across our country. I was concerned Saturday. I was taking my young kids. I was nervous about what we might come across. Would there be a group of a couple hundred around doing some stupid little protest of the election? Would there be some trouble makers heckling folks about trump? Well, shame on me for doubting the good people of this state. I walked around for about 3 hours before kickoff with my kids. making the rounds. Doin the fun PG family stuff. I never saw a thing. I guess the only thing i saw were the abundance of Jesus signs at Stadium and T.

Im a very prideful American. I have friends and relatives that have served. My high school mascot was Patriots. I have a sh#t ton of faith in this nation that regardless what we encounter in the near future and far, we will prevail. Regardless what you are politically or morally, the American spirit will fight on.

khaake. i pity you. I really do. Full blown condolences. Your lack of education or lack of understanding of these concepts is really sad. You would do yourself a favor to get it right.

Wow this is so not true.

I don't think the National Anthem should be sung before sporting events. I've held that belief for more than a decade, and I don't hate America.

I, partly (because I'm not sure I totally understand what he's saying) agree with the OP that too much military involvement with sports is not a good thing.

Sports are entertainment.

The military protects us and keeps us safe from enemies.

These are mutually exclusive things, and wishing they didn't mix is not anti-American, and such rhetoric is 100% unhelpful in what should be a reasonable discussion.

I like fly-bys at football games. I like it when we honor our veterans at games around Veteran's Day.

The Anthem should not be sung before sporting events. Veterans should be respected. The two don't have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with each other.

If you want to have a reasonable discourse in this country, start being reasonable.

But stop equating sports with national pride. They are NOT the same thing.

• Fire 4

Football is America's game (sorry, baseball). The military, flag, and patriotism are part of its branding year round. Yes, absolutely, this is weird.

I do think fly-bys are cool, I dig the red-white-blue decor (was it Kalu with the armbands? They were sweet!), and I like seeing Veteran's Day celebrated. That said, I get suspicious of commercial nationalism -- and more suspicious of using the military as a bludgeon to shout down people who question whether an aspect of our society is becoming too jingoistic. I think this suspicion is both healthy and very American, at least the way I was taught. It's also particularly timely these days, because:

Do people not know we are still at war or what? Does the reminder of this offend you?

We will always be at war.

Honor our vets. Cherish our traditions. Cast an eye of suspicion towards the machinery built to sustain public enthusiasm for a nonending forever war from which much of the public is shielded and detached.

• Fire 4

It's all about the money. The Military pays the NFL a lot of money for all those in-game reunions and stuff. All part of recruiting. I'm guess they do the same to the NCAA.

If the people that made snuggies paid that much in advertising, they would be pushing those down your throat instead.

I personally have no problem with it. I think people watching that stuff don't realize they're watching a commercial, but if some of that money goes to UNL, I'm all for it.

Those who are serving or have served are the only opinions I would consider as to whether the ceremonies at the game were over the top. Otherwise they really don't have an idea of the sacrifices one makes to serve. I can kind of understand why those that didn't serve would feel uncomfortable while veterans are being honored, but it is absolutely no reason to not honor them.

Singing the national anthem before sporting events is a great way to show appreciation for our country. It should be sung before all events with a large gathering, not just sports.

Here's a story of a 100 men that would agree with me. http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/1968-us-nuclear-submarine-went-russia-super-secret-spy-18379 . During war or peace, military members are putting their lives on the line to defend us. What did you do today?

To all vets: Thank You!

• Fire 2
Singing the national anthem before sporting events is a great way to show appreciation for our country. It should be sung before all events with a large gathering, not just sports.

It has the opposite effect, sadly. Singing the Anthem so often waters down its meaning. Combining it with sports, to which it has no connection, confuses the issue.

Before all large gatherings? Like before church, before weddings, before staff meetings, before conventions, before they open the doors at the DMV, stuff like that? That's an unnecessary conflation of the meaning and intent behind an anthem.

Sure, America is central to all our lives, but so is sex, without which none of us would be here. It'd be like having a couple go at it at midfield, or on the pitcher's mound, or center court, before a sporting event starts. Sex is essential, great, and everyone likes it - but it has nothing to do with sports and shouldn't be included.

We all eat, right? Let's bake cookies or make a giant pot of gumbo before every game.

We all sleep, right? Let's all take a quick nap before every game.

I mean... there's a lot of things we all love, and respect, and cherish. But none of those things belongs in front of a sporting event. It's not anti-sex, or anti-food, or anti-ZZZ's to say that, right?

• Fire 1

It has the opposite effect, sadly. Singing the Anthem so often waters down its meaning. Combining it with sports, to which it has no connection, confuses the issue.

Before all large gatherings? Like before church, before weddings, before staff meetings, before conventions, before they open the doors at the DMV, stuff like that? That's an unnecessary conflation of the meaning and intent behind an anthem.

Sure, America is central to all our lives, but so is sex, without which none of us would be here. It'd be like having a couple go at it at midfield, or on the pitcher's mound, or center court, before a sporting event starts. Sex is essential, great, and everyone likes it - but it has nothing to do with sports and shouldn't be included.

We all eat, right? Let's bake cookies or make a giant pot of gumbo before every game.

We all sleep, right? Let's all take a quick nap before every game.

I mean... there's a lot of things we all love, and respect, and cherish. But none of those things belongs in front of a sporting event. It's not anti-sex, or anti-food, or anti-ZZZ's to say that, right?

More sex & more pot for everyone. Sounds like a plan :)

/s

• Fire 1

I feel like it is important to hold onto central themes that hold the nation together, and singing the National Anthem is part of that (of course the fly overs are just cool). Perhaps not everyone gets to jazzed up over it (the anthem, and the presenting of the flag) but the University is by and large a publicly funded institution so the anthem that is met to bring together fans and players of both teams is a great way to start up the game. I don't find the whole thing to feel all that oppressive and over all the fans around seem to show a mixed amounts of interest as it carries different meaning for everyone. I'm sure some players find some of the team chants to be somewhat silly or lacking in meaning but again these things help provide a sense of unity. One of my favorite stories is "The Children's Story" by James Clavell very interesting and I think fitting in some way for this conversation.

I believe the number is less than 2% of our population defend this country. that 2% gives about 99.9% of their time and their families time to that effort. That is 365 days a year, 7 days a week and 24 hours a day on call. It seems to me you could withstand a fly over, the National Anthem for them. I know it would be wasting a couple of minutes of your day.

Many come home unable to live a normal life, paralyzed, brain injuries, missing limbs. And some pay the ultimate price for you to be free to make your ridiculous comments. Those are the people we honor.

I truly believe every single person at the age of 18 years, should serve this country, be it military, or not, but service to the country, so you might begin to appreciate what thousands have died for, that thousands are in harms way this very second. Life truly is not about a football game, where the participants like to call themselves warriors. Life is caring more about your fellow man and his safety, his welfare. The people we honor are not making the decisions to go to war normally. They are following orders as a sense of duty. Loyalty, honor, pride and love of this country. As another stated, if you have not served, you really have no idea what these young men and women give up for everyone.

• Fire 4

Knapp, maybe you're right. The anthem doesn't HAVE to be played before games. But it is, and rightfully so, and it should be respected as long as it is played. Not trying to bring the MRI thread back, but that's how I view it. Nothing is a better American pastime than football, and I feel like it should be honored as such.

I believe the number is less than 2% of our population defend this country. that 2% gives about 99.9% of their time and their families time to that effort.

I truly believe every single person at the age of 18 years, should serve this country, be it military, or not, but service to the country, so you might begin to appreciate what thousands have died for, that thousands are in harms way this very second.

I agree with this. We should all respect those who serve the country, and we should extend the concept of national service so it's not merely felt by the very few, whose image is invoked regularly and commercially before the many so that the 98% with no skin in the game can feel an engagement they don't have.

Supporting patriotic ceremony more devotedly than others is neither service nor sacrifice.

• Fire 1