And So It Begins .... Trump & The Law

Coverage from The Post.

And from Fmr U.S. SecLabor Robert Reich: (emphasis mine)

Imagine 68 days from now when Trump runs the Justice Department, the I.R.S., the F.B.I., and every other agency capable of harassing opponents.

We need to start organizing a peaceful resistance -- and army of activists. Now.

What do you think?

That's really a salient point, IMO. A lot of us place a lot of faith in our system of checks and balances (how are we doing on the 'balance' count, by the way?). But the President also has a dizzying array of tools he can use at his discretion to harass his adversaries -- if he chooses to focus more on this than implement policy and advocate for his platform.

We have a President-elect who has signaled very little interest in the latter (policy), and a great deal of interest in the former (counterpunching at opponents).

I've been pretty calm through most of this but the demonizing of legit news sources may have horrible, long-lasting consequences and I'm feeling a bit sick right now. When you convince half the country the truth is a lie, you can make them believe whatever you want them to believe. Trump has done a good job of that.

You literally can't cite any news source now without someone saying it's a lie and believing whatever random leader they happen to like (Trump) tells them. It doesn't matter whether the source used actual data in their article.

• Fire 1

This guy is a former McCain strategist and current Kasich strategist:

Makes me feel so hopeless.

I saw something else today that quoted President Obama saying (not sure when) that "there are certain things a sitting president simply can not say or do." And that gave me hope, the slightest, optimistic hope there perhaps once he is out of office he won't disappear, won'd abandon the country to this man. I'm not sure how he could be involved, but there has to be a leader of a groundswell. Maybe our past presidents, whom all have voiced their lack of support for this man will join forces.

Not I could have simply read this out of context - he may have very well been saying that there are things that no president (including Trump) should be doing or saying.

I've been pretty calm through most of this but the demonizing of legit news sources may have horrible, long-lasting consequences and I'm feeling a bit sick right now. When you convince half the country the truth is a lie, you can make them believe whatever you want them to believe. Trump has done a good job of that.

You literally can't cite any news source now without someone saying it's a lie and believing whatever random leader they happen to like (Trump) tells them. It doesn't matter whether the source used actual data in their article.

It's all "Progressive liberal" propaganda, don't ya know?

I sure hope Trump and his attorneys go after all those that slandered and defamed him with any and all legal actions possible. Perhaps they will pierce the veil of 'public figure' protection that basically allows for so much outright lying and defamation with scurilous lies, etc. Trump is one who will fight back and this may bite some of these folks in butt. Even Harry Reid will have to dig up some of his bucks to defend the action after the horrible personal attacks on Trump. Reid is a slimy snake in the Nevada desert and now that he is out of the Senate he needs to watch out as he won't enjoy the privelege of getting up on the Senate floor to hurl slanderous remarks at his political 'enemies'.

Trump has the gall to fight back with words and the lawsuit (the right way to do battle in our society instead of the duel with pistols from 20 paces or fists outside the bar or the violent riotous behavior of those who burn down stores and set cars afire in the streets under the guise of 'civil protest'.

• Fire 1

Newsflash...both parties demonize news sources they don't agree with and push lies. How many times have we heard Obama blasting Fox News and "right-wing" radio despite many times those news sources having valid points about falsehoods he made. For those Obama supporters who are younger on here or new to this politics thing, you have lived on one side of the political debate with your candidate and party calling the shots from the White House. As someone who wholeheartedly disagrees with Obama on many issues, I now feel the pain you are going to feel for at least the next 4 years if not 8 years. It takes some time to get used to it, but life will go on.

• Fire 2

Trump will be the ruin of the Republican Party and the conservative movement. Although he is not a conservative, the vast majority of Americans don't pay close enough attention and will attribute everything he does to conservatism. Trumpism is a combination of social liberalism, economic populism, racism, and authoritarianism that believes in one thing and one thing only...Donald Trump. Conservatives that supported him are going to be shown to be the fools that they are...sorry if this wasn't the correct thread to post this.

• Fire 3