SI early NFL draft look

lo country

Here is the NFL draft prospects for 2017 by position group. They took the 10 best at each position (save center). The following Huskers were listed. Drum roll please...............

NONE

WTH? I was honestly shocked. I figured we would have at least 2 in that list in Gerry and Westerkamp..... I think both of those guys have a shot as I do with Carter, Maurice and Bando....... Obviously the list didn't list out draft picks, but listed by top in position group so they are not counted out, just not on the top 10.....

Really odd that Gerry grades out highest amongst safeties and Westy was the FBS leading returning receiver IIRC..... Unsure how this list was compiled.

http://www.si.com/2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings

• Fire 1

I'm really not that surprised. Gerry really struggled last year, but has come on strong this year. I think he will be off the board by the third round. Westerkamp has had some injuries that have kept him off the field, that always hurts draft stock. I really believe he will be a late pick along with Banderas, who has also had some injury set backs. Carter is not your typical NFL TE. I see him as a FA who will make a team.

Gerry, Westerkamp & Banderas are really the only guys I think who have a chance to be called on draft day.

There's a reason this writer is doing projected draft picks for a magazine and not working in a NFL office helping the General Manager/Coach/Owner evaluate draft picks.

That is funny because I personally know someone that went from writing blogs about the NFL draft and player rankings to working in the front office for an NFL team.

I only say that because some of these guys know what they are talking about even though they do not work for an NFL team.

Gerry and Bando, definitely. Westerkamp, maybe. At this point I'm thinking Banderas might go before Gerry. I mean, Gerry is having a great year compared to last year. But Bando is off the charts. I don't know why he's not getting more ink about it, but he is having a tremendous year. The only think that might, MIGHT, hold him back is his history of injuries before this season.

Gerry 3rd-5th, Bando 4th-6th, Maurice (maybe late 6th-7th), and CC 4th-6th.

Wildcard is Westy. Great hands and ball skills. Injuries and speed may be a question by NFL teams.

i thought westerkamp was fast, am I misremembering or is this a case of white player good hands must be slow

He's fast.

He probably won't post a sub 4.4 40, but 9 of 10 NFL evaluators not named Al Davis will tell you that 40 speed is overrated compared to "get it done speed" - meaning guys who can run the right routes and create space are more valuable and effective than the pure sprinters.

As arguably the best WR in the B10, he's going to get a combine invite. If he posts anything faster than 4.5, he'll be drafted pretty high.