Fake News

No kidding, But of course, his good buddy Assange. The guy who mysteriously got a boatload of US information delivered to his doorstep but conveniently had nothing to share about Trump or the GOP.

Reports say that Russia actually successfully hacked the GOP as well but we never saw any of that info. Given the way Trump has thus far failed to say one bad word about Putin, you have to wonder what they have on him.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but if they do have damaging dirt, couldn't they essentially blackmail him with it to influence our foreign policy decisions?

I'm finding this pretty interesting.

That's a pretty damn good article and hits on a lot of points we've been talking about here - the pervasiveness of social media and the lack of respect some media outlets have for their viewers/readers.

This is a pretty disappointing situation all around and, at least to me, enough of a reason to seriously reconsider reading Washington Post in the future.

The best case scenario is if the media starts holding themselves accountable because the American public will never stop feeding off of every outlandish story that reaffirms whatever is rattling around in their heads no matter if it's true or not.

No kidding, But of course, his good buddy Assange. The guy who mysteriously got a boatload of US information delivered to his doorstep but conveniently had nothing to share about Trump or the GOP.

Reports say that Russia actually successfully hacked the GOP as well but we never saw any of that info. Given the way Trump has thus far failed to say one bad word about Putin, you have to wonder what they have on him.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but if they do have damaging dirt, couldn't they essentially blackmail him with it to influence our foreign policy decisions?

Maybe the CIA needs to hack the KGB to find out what VP found out about the DJT.

That's a pretty damn good article and hits on a lot of points we've been talking about here - the pervasiveness of social media and the lack of respect some media outlets have for their viewers/readers.

This is a pretty disappointing situation all around and, at least to me, enough of a reason to seriously reconsider reading Washington Post in the future.

The best case scenario is if the media starts holding themselves accountable because the American public will never stop feeding off of every outlandish story that reaffirms whatever is rattling around in their heads no matter if it's true or not.

It would be great if the media held themselves accountable, but that has not really happened in years. I think if there truly were trusted media sources then we would see less impact from fake news. Right now the fake news and mainstream media bias has blurred the lines for what the public can believe.

It would be great if the media held themselves accountable, but that has not really happened in years. I think if there truly were trusted media sources then we would see less impact from fake news. Right now the fake news and mainstream media bias has blurred the lines for what the public can believe.

I agree to some extent, but I also think one factor playing a significant role right now is that it's somewhat cool and popular to be on the "fake news" and the "mainstream media is biased" bandwagons. Most of the news we see from legitimate journalistic sources is factual. Most of it is also germane. The problem is that politics has tainted the media as a whole in many people's eyes, and that's not entirely fair to the hard-working crime, business and sports reporters of the world. A lot of things people don't agree with or don't like is being dubbed "fake news" by idiots with a keyboard and it's harmful when done unnecessarily.

The public is as responsible for this whole mess as the media, though, whether we like to accept that or not. The media is and has always been an extension of their viewers/readers. It's up to the media and the public to regain one another's trust and this shouldn't be viewed as if it's just a media problem. It's a people problem.

• Fire 1

Really enjoying your perspective on this topic, Enhance. Agreeing with most of what you're posting wholeheartedly.

The MSM is biased bandwagon has been around forever in conservative circles. Fake news is relatively new. I think it sucks that Trump lashes out at media members who are just trying to do a job like anyone else, calling them scum/awful/etc... rinse + repeat. I view it as an attempt at a larger strategy by him to undermine American media altogethe. Because they do not sell the narrative he wants, it is easier to try to convince people they're illegitimate than work to change their tone towards him.

I also think it's frustrating to see people cling to echo chambers and label anything that doesn't reinforce their worldview as fake news. That's not a productive response to unflattering news, but I suppose it subverts cognitive dissonance and allows them to maintain that worldview.

But as you said, media isn't blameless. I've really gone completely off cable news since the election. I started to realize how predictable they were at a certain point and I don't desire all the fluff and prepackaged opinion that comes with punditry anymore. I've started getting my news from various sources based on a great diagram NM ha so posted several times.

I'm curious... I wonder what exactly news sources could do to please someone like bnil, who feels their side is not getting a fair shake.

• Fire 1

Thanks, dudeguyy. I'll admit I have my biases in favor of the media but I also try diligently to defend them when necessary, but there are many things we've seen media outlets do recently that are indefensible.

The thing about Trump and the media is he is often a man of many words but he doesn't really say much, in my opinion. He calls journalists names and then his supporters are bolstered to do the same, and rally behind his opinions, because he does it. I agree that it is an attempt to undermine the media because his strategies, personality and the things he says often get him punished in the media. Some will say that's bias, others will say Trump brings it on himself. I think there's some shared equity there.

I mean he openly stated multiple times in front of millions of people that he "was totally against the war in Iraq," yet we have 100% factual proof that this is a lie. To me, it's no surprise the media will latch onto and criticize something as dumbfounding as that, and it's just what he does time and again.

As far as people like bnil, I imagine he would say the media needs to become objective, unbiased and gain back the people's trust in order for him to be pleased. That's a fair request, but, I don't think the problem is as dire as some would have us believe. I also think a lot of people who demand unwavering objectivity from the media should probably take a look in the mirror.

Trumps biggest problem with the media is that every once in a while he will say something that is so totally stupid and can instantly be fact checked. Then, when he is fact checked, he back peddles and starts calling everyone names that did the fact checking. So, when there is a media outlet that DOES have a bias against him, he makes it so friggen easy for them.

The guy doesn't think before he speaks/tweets. Someone as smart as he claims he is, would not do that.

I feel like we have it - between taped interviews and tweets, but for some reason nobody has the balls to hold it up for the world to see. It's weird. Like the discussion at the Senate yesterday where none of the GOP would come out and say "he is wrong, and he is lying" but talked around it.

Now is the time for some real life American "heroes" to step up. It sounds hokey, but I feel whomever does will be viewed in the future as Franklin, Adams etc.

I'm not sure that it would ever happen (and i'm not sure if I've posted it here or elsewhere) but I think the only thing we can hope for is that the news media - ALL of them join efforts with a pledge to hold each other accountable for the truth, that they sacrifice running with juicy headlines in order to do the right thing. I don't think Fox or Brietbart would agree, but only when they are all on the same page and not competing for clicks or viewers will we get true journalistic coverage. You look back at Rather/Brokaw/Jennings - can you imagine any of them at 6pm leading with some of this stuff?

In the meantime I've subscribed to the WaPo and NYT in an effort to put my money where my mouth is.