Way to go Ryker Fyfe

Sea of Red

OP make a great post about a young Nebraska native, how well he played and got the win we needed to stay in the hunt, and only 14 of the greatest football fans on earth have positive comments, well mostly.

Thank you for your efforts Ryker. 5 years in the program and a couple of starts. Todays athletes are all about play now or I leave. Thank you for having the courage and tenacity to stick it our. We owe you a lot, we are still in the hunt, because you were here and took the bull by the horns and fought for us.

And smile young man, you deserve it. I know a lot of us are smiling for you tonight.

The couple of games he's played he had that deer in the headlights look. But kid's got an arm. Needs to work on his blocking tho. And his running.

I didn't see that today. In another thread I said he looked confident and played like it. I stand by that. And yeah, he's got an arm and I think he's easily a better passer than Tommy. But like you pointed out, he needs to work on his blocking and running skills. unibrow.gif

I didn't see it today either. But then Maryland is not Ohio State.

Is Ryker the best walk-on QB we've had at Nebraska? Maybe. You don't see many walk-on QBs to begin with. And I don't think we've ever had another one go on to start.

Anyway, Ryker had a great day yesterday. I'll bet Senior Day was fun for him!

Is Ryker the best walk-on QB we've had at Nebraska? Maybe. You don't see many walk-on QBs to begin with. And I don't think we've ever had another one go on to start.

We've had Ron Kellogg III and The Turnamator get starts as former walk-on QBs. As for the best, I think you give that honor to Tim Hager, but Ryker did have a good day. For it to be on Senior Day that probably made it even sweeter for him.

Matt Turman was a walk-on, and in 1994 got to start vs Kansas State. From his bio on Huskers.com:

Turman became the first walk-on player to start at quarterback for the Huskers since Travis Turner (Scottsbluff, Neb.) started the first and eighth games as a senior in the 1985 season. With Frazier starting the first four games and Berringer the fifth and sixth, Turman became the third starter for the undefeated Huskers when he started game seven. It marked the first time since 1981 that NU used three different starting signal callers in one season.

Ron Kellogg 3 was a walk on when he enrolled at NU but may have been on schollie when he played. Going back to the late 90's, a kid named Monte Christo from Kearney walked on and played his senior season vs Missouri when he replaced an injured Bobby Newcombe. Huskers were down 10 pts when he got in the game and we won 20-13. It doesn't happen often but it has happened.

I'm all for giving Ryker credit. He stepped in and got the job done. But also want to give a lot of credit to Westy who helped Ryker out a lot. Also Reilly and Carter for making some good plays. Newby also gets credit for taking a lot of pressure off of Fyfe. Hell, I just want to say congrats to all the Seniors and point out that they put together a TEAM effort and got a win!

• Fire 1

We've had Ron Kellogg III and The Turnamator get starts as former walk-on QBs. As for the best, I think you give that honor to Tim Hager, but Ryker did have a good day. For it to be on Senior Day that probably made it even sweeter for him.

Matt Turman was a walk-on, and in 1994 got to start vs Kansas State. From his bio on Huskers.com:

Turman became the first walk-on player to start at quarterback for the Huskers since Travis Turner (Scottsbluff, Neb.) started the first and eighth games as a senior in the 1985 season. With Frazier starting the first four games and Berringer the fifth and sixth, Turman became the third starter for the undefeated Huskers when he started game seven. It marked the first time since 1981 that NU used three different starting signal callers in one season.[/size]

Ron Kellogg 3 was a walk on when he enrolled at NU but may have been on schollie when he played. Going back to the late 90's, a kid named Monte Christo from Kearney walked on and played his senior season vs Missouri when he replaced an injured Bobby Newcombe. Huskers were down 10 pts when he got in the game and we won 20-13. It doesn't happen often but it has happened.

I had forgotten that RG3 was a walk-on. He may have been better than Ryker. Maybe. But I did remember the Terminator when I made that post, and Ryker is definitely the better QB of the two. Not to take anything away from Matt, but all he needed to do against K-State was to just hand the ball off. As for Monte Christo, wow, there's a name from the past. And what a name, too! :lol:

I had forgotten that RG3 was a walk-on.

No I'm pretty sure Baylor offered him a scholarship.

That's not how that works :P

If you're offered a scholarship to Alabama and Kansas doesn't want you but allows you to walk-on and you decide to walk on at Kansas, you are a walk-on.

Nebraska had a lot of walk-ons in the past who turned down scholarships from other programs. They were still considered walk-ons.

I am so happy for Ryker and his family. I know his dad from back in the day and knew Ryker when he was 4 or 5 years old.

After the Purdue debacle last year (which wasn't total his fault), it was good to see him go out with a win at home. Toss in the Foltz situation, it was great to see him play that way yesterday.