Help me out, why are fans getting on position coaches?

CornHunka

I was running errands this morning and caught the beginning of Husker Hangover with Matt Vzal on 1620 the zone. Matt starts out by saying he's not going to jump on Bruce Reed (the Fo Fiddy thread covers that topic nicely), but he cannot understand Husker fans getting on the other coaches, such as Coach Cav and Coach Brey. I don't either.

Coach Cav is working with a piece-meal offensive line and has all year. Walk ons who probably shouldn't even be playing in mopup time are starting and playing a ton of minutes. Give him a year or two so he can get his guys playing. The 2017 offensive line will be a strength of the team, marky my words.

Coach Brey, I think, is one of the stars of the Husker coaching staff. He did great things last year with limited number of players and this year, Rose-Ivy and Banderas are playing tremendous football in the latter part of the season. In 2017, only Dedrick Young will be returning, but the linebackers will be more athletic and probably better. Plus Brey is an A-1 recruiter.

What's the deal?

• Fire 2

What walkons are playing a ton of minutes but not starting? I ask because it's been cav's stated policy to not substitute during games unless it's a blowout. And we haven't had any of those.

I still fundamentally disagree with those who claim this OL is piecemeal. There's a lot of talent there, especially relative to most other OLs.

I will grant that his OC has done very little to help him and his unit out, though.

What walkons are playing a ton of minutes but not starting? I ask because it's been cav's stated policy to not substitute during games unless it's a blowout. And we haven't had any of those.

I still fundamentally disagree with those who claim this OL is piecemeal. There's a lot of talent there, especially relative to most other OLs.

I will grant that his OC has done very little to help him and his unit out, though.

Utter - walk on, Hahn - walk on, Conrad - walk on. How can you not consider that piecemeal? I think Cav is getting the brunt of the former staff recruiting misses like Johnson, Painter and Whitaker. I do agree there's talent, but its young.

• Fire 1

Pretty much everyone has been earning their keep sans Bruce Read. Cav's offensive line has been fine considering it's context - the run game has had moments of struggle, but it's lacking an elite back and healthy starters, and we're still tied for 5th in the country in sacks allowed through 11 games.

But to answer your question, because fans don't know jack about coaching football, but fans are convinced that they know quite a bit about coaching football.

• Fire 3

Pretty much everyone has been earning their keep sans Bruce Read. Cav's offensive line has been fine considering it's context - the run game has had moments of struggle, but it's lacking an elite back and healthy starters, and we're still tied for 5th in the country in sacks allowed through 11 games.

But to answer your question, because fans don't know jack about coaching football, but fans are convinced that they know quite a bit about coaching football.

I think our next elite back is going to be Tre Bryant.