SIGNED - RB Jaylin Bradley

Mavric

As I'm unfamiliar with his situation, what are the chances he gets the academic stuff cleared up? Potential preferred walk-on candidate? Or will he go JUCO?

All the talk has been that if he gets his grades up, and gets a qualifying ACT score, he'll get a scholly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at a Juco if Nebraska wants to stash him for a couple years.

PS, those ideas always sound great, but can anyone name the last time it actually worked out that way? (Meaning, we stashed him at a JUCO and then they eventually ended up at Nebraska)

Who was the kid that Pelini put at Iowa Western with the intent of bringing him back? It happened during the transition, and Riley passed on him.

In a business sense, it at least lets the program get a look at a kid against competition that is a higher level than Class A football in Nebraska.

As I'm unfamiliar with his situation, what are the chances he gets the academic stuff cleared up? Potential preferred walk-on candidate? Or will he go JUCO?

All the talk has been that if he gets his grades up, and gets a qualifying ACT score, he'll get a scholly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at a Juco if Nebraska wants to stash him for a couple years.

PS, those ideas always sound great, but can anyone name the last time it actually worked out that way? (Meaning, we stashed him at a JUCO and then they eventually ended up at Nebraska)

Who was the kid that Pelini put at Iowa Western with the intent of bringing him back? It happened during the transition, and Riley passed on him.

In a business sense, it at least lets the program get a look at a kid against competition that is a higher level than Class A football in Nebraska.

Dude, I agree with you. It's a great idea. I'm just saying it never seems to pan out.

(It was a RB that was recently placed there, name escapes me though)

Reading between the lines (second-to-thirdhand here), but I think what he's saying is that his elementary school teachers let him skate by without holding him accountable. That type of behavior snowballs until it smacks the student in the face later on in life (be it in HS or even college). If he didn't have any sort of work ethic, that would lend itself to him struggling in his first two years of HS, no matter how smart he is.

Which screams at me...."PARENTS".

This kid may very well be smart enough to get decent to good grades in HS and get well above a qualifying ACT. However, if everything discussed here is correct, I would put the first and foremost blame on the parents. If the grade school teacher let him "slip by" without learning anything to prepare him...the parents should have been better involved in making sure he IS learning something and preparing him.

Work ethic??? Where do you think that is taught? Hint....it's not from the teachers.

Dude, I agree with you. It's a great idea. I'm just saying it never seems to pan out.

(It was a RB that was recently placed there, name escapes me though)

Oh yea, I'm sorry if the tone conveyed was combative; I'm in agreement with you. I was more "thinking out loud" than anything.

Reading between the lines (second-to-thirdhand here), but I think what he's saying is that his elementary school teachers let him skate by without holding him accountable. That type of behavior snowballs until it smacks the student in the face later on in life (be it in HS or even college). If he didn't have any sort of work ethic, that would lend itself to him struggling in his first two years of HS, no matter how smart he is.

Which screams at me...."PARENTS".

This kid may very well be smart enough to get decent to good grades in HS and get well above a qualifying ACT. However, if everything discussed here is correct, I would put the first and foremost blame on the parents. If the grade school teacher let him "slip by" without learning anything to prepare him...the parents should have been better involved in making sure he IS learning something and preparing him.

Work ethic??? Where do you think that is taught? Hint....it's not from the teachers.

As a teacher, all I can say is:

giphy.gif

I haven't read the entire thread, but I used to date a 5th grade teacher working for a metro area school. She would tell me on average, she'd have 4-5 kids a year in her class of around 20 that read at a 1st or 2nd grade level. And because the process was so difficult to actually hold the kid back to work on his education, the kids would be moved up the next grade. So, I can see his point where his elementary school teachers failed him. However, it sounds like it's more a systematic issue where teachers feel it's too difficult to hold kids back to repeat a grade, and instead just push the kid to the next grade level.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I used to date a 5th grade teacher working for a metro area school. She would tell me on average, she'd have 4-5 kids a year in her class of around 20 that read at a 1st or 2nd grade level. And because the process was so difficult to actually hold the kid back to work on his education, the kids would be moved up the next grade. So, I can see his point where his elementary school teachers failed him. However, it sounds like it's more a systematic issue where teachers feel it's too difficult to hold kids back to repeat a grade, and instead just push the kid to the next grade level.

To reply to that, I have taught at an extremely low socio-economic school.

It's not hard for the teacher to say this kid should stay back, or this could should move up. It's hard to get the parent to agree. That's the hard part. The Teacher only "moves the kid up" because that's what the parent wants to do. I've never heard of a school district that can force a parent to make their kid stay back a grade. They can only make strong recommendations...

So once again, that's on the parent, if that's truly what the issue is. NOT THE ELEMENTARY TEACHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

It's not hard for the teacher to say this kid should stay back, or this could should move up. It's hard to get the parent to agree. That's the hard part. The Teacher only "moves the kid up" because that's what the parent wants to do. I've never heard of a school district that can force a parent to make their kid stay back a grade. They can only make strong recommendations...

So once again, that's on the parent, if that's truly what the issue is. NOT THE ELEMENTARY TEACHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Dear God, Matty is leading our children...

• Fire 3

Why would the parent have ultimate say in this?

That would be Vondrae Tostenson.