SIGNED - RB Jaylin Bradley

Mavric

We can't have a generally sour (and fairly so) view of the American education system and not acknowledge that students show up in HS far less equipped than they should be as a result of it, IMO.

I'd amend it only so far as to say some (well, a lot) of this is nobody's fault. Be born into certain socioeconomic conditions and locations and you're more than likely fine.

To reply to that, I have taught at an extremely low socio-economic school.

It's not hard for the teacher to say this kid should stay back, or this could should move up. It's hard to get the parent to agree. That's the hard part. The Teacher only "moves the kid up" because that's what the parent wants to do. I've never heard of a school district that can force a parent to make their kid stay back a grade. They can only make strong recommendations...

So once again, that's on the parent, if that's truly what the issue is. NOT THE ELEMENTARY TEACHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Dear God, Matty is leading our children...

Well thank you for the vote of confidence, Mr. Eichorst.

As I'm unfamiliar with his situation, what are the chances he gets the academic stuff cleared up? Potential preferred walk-on candidate? Or will he go JUCO?

All the talk has been that if he gets his grades up, and gets a qualifying ACT score, he'll get a scholly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at a Juco if Nebraska wants to stash him for a couple years.

PS, those ideas always sound great, but can anyone name the last time it actually worked out that way? (Meaning, we stashed him at a JUCO and then they eventually ended up at Nebraska)

Who was the kid that Pelini put at Iowa Western with the intent of bringing him back? It happened during the transition, and Riley passed on him.

In a business sense, it at least lets the program get a look at a kid against competition that is a higher level than Class A football in Nebraska.

That would be Vondrae Tostenson.

It was RB Larenzo Stewart from Klein, Texas. Kid was a jitterbug and great return man.

• Fire 3

I haven't read the entire thread, but I used to date a 5th grade teacher working for a metro area school. She would tell me on average, she'd have 4-5 kids a year in her class of around 20 that read at a 1st or 2nd grade level. And because the process was so difficult to actually hold the kid back to work on his education, the kids would be moved up the next grade. So, I can see his point where his elementary school teachers failed him. However, it sounds like it's more a systematic issue where teachers feel it's too difficult to hold kids back to repeat a grade, and instead just push the kid to the next grade level.

It's not hard for the teacher to say this kid should stay back, or this could should move up. It's hard to get the parent to agree. That's the hard part. The Teacher only "moves the kid up" because that's what the parent wants to do. I've never heard of a school district that can force a parent to make their kid stay back a grade. They can only make strong recommendations...

So once again, that's on the parent, if that's truly what the issue is. NOT THE ELEMENTARY TEACHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Why would the parent have ultimate say in this?

That's a great question. I hope someone on here has a different view point or experience of the situation. I've worked at 3 schools, all 3 have been the same. You can strongly suggest a student stay back, but need parent's okay on it. It's that way until HS. (I'm not saying it's like that at every school, but I think it might be state law? or something?) Someone with different information feel free to hop in.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I used to date a 5th grade teacher working for a metro area school. She would tell me on average, she'd have 4-5 kids a year in her class of around 20 that read at a 1st or 2nd grade level. And because the process was so difficult to actually hold the kid back to work on his education, the kids would be moved up the next grade. So, I can see his point where his elementary school teachers failed him. However, it sounds like it's more a systematic issue where teachers feel it's too difficult to hold kids back to repeat a grade, and instead just push the kid to the next grade level.

Yup, I hear ya.

My parents took in a brother and sister when they were in 7th and 8th grade. My brother, as I refer to them as brother and sister, graduated from Washington last summer, while my sister was passed along the system and somehow graduated high school, albeit testing in math and reading at no higher than a 5th grade level. I see the problems as a mixture of absent/abusive parents, the school admin and teachers passing her along, and a kid's effort and ability. It's a no win situation and really sucks to see and ultimately it hurts the kid more than anybody else.

From my account, and most situations, I place more onus on the parents for failing their kid, not holding them accountable and pushing their kids to at least do the minimum to learn. I think the faculty has only so much ability to hold kids accountable, but it's their job to teach the subject matter and identify the kids who struggle. It's the administrators/teachers to inform the parents, and then for all of them to figure out a solution going forward. I understand it's not every case, but many cases I hear about from elementary educators, are that parents don't show up to conferences, respond to calls, and just use school as a daycare.

My have strayed off a little bit, but just my 2¢ from what I've seen first hand.

• Fire 1

Why would the parent have ultimate say in this?

That's a great question. I hope someone on here has a different view point or experience of the situation. I've worked at 3 schools, all 3 have been the same. You can strongly suggest a student stay back, but need parent's okay on it. It's that way until HS. (I'm not saying it's like that at every school, but I think it might be state law? or something?) Someone with different information feel free to hop in.

By doing this, you're (mostly parents) not only failing the student but allowing the parents to not take responsibility to have the kid prepared to be in school and actually try.

Can he not get a tutor to help him with his classes? It is not that hard for him/his parent or heck his coach to find him a tutor to help him understand his homework, which in turn will help him on tests. Kid is a great talent in the state, and its a shame all of our really good athletes from the state are just not able to qualify. This is most of them not all of them.

Has anyone on here watched last chance u? They pretty much force feed the kids to go to class and help them with their work and they still struggle. A lot of it is the attitude towards the classes you are taking.

If you don't put in the effort early on it's really hard to qualify when those D's and F's are dragging your average down

Most of my family are teachers. My father just retired as a HS teacher and football coach. He always told his players they are students first. He would also tell players (usually ones crying about a bad grade) he never gave a student a grade. They earned whatever grade they got. Yes some kids aren't as smart as others but I've seen kids who want to be eligible put in a lot of effort to keep up their grades. As far as the system failing kids thats BS. I've seen parents come in and defend their kids to the end that their kid is an angel and the teachers are just out to get them. Not much you can say when the parents are just as ignorant as the kid. If his coaches were on top of things it should have never got to this point. If they tried then it's on this kid and it's his own fault

Most of my family are teachers. My father just retired as a HS teacher and football coach. He always told his players they are students first. He would also tell players (usually ones crying about a bad grade) he never gave a student a grade. They earned whatever grade they got. Yes some kids aren't as smart as others but I've seen kids who want to be eligible put in a lot of effort to keep up their grades. As far as the system failing kids thats BS. I've seen parents come in and defend their kids to the end that their kid is an angel and the teachers are just out to get them. Not much you can say when the parents are just as ignorant as the kid. If his coaches were on top of things it should have never got to this point. If they tried then it's on this kid and it's his own fault

the thing is you can't rely on parents to teach work ethic and good morals and if the kid doesn't learn that from parents or early schooling, it will effect them and they will be that "bad student" when really no one showed them how to be a good one. Not saying you are wrong, education is just a complicated subject. When a child fails, usually everyone is somewhat involved, parents, teachers and the child.
  • Fire 1

the thing is you can't rely on parents to teach work ethic and good morals and if the kid doesn't learn that from parents or early schooling, it will effect them and they will be that "bad student" when really no one showed them how to be a good one. Not saying you are wrong, education is just a complicated subject. When a child fails, usually everyone is somewhat involved, parents, teachers and the child.

You're right. Sometimes a teacher can positively affect a child when their parents are failing them. However, that job because exponentially tougher when the parents suck. Ultimately, if the parents suck and the teachers aren't able to reach the kid to make him/her improve, the majority of the fault still falls on the parents. It's the parent's job to make sure the child comes to school prepared to succeed and with the right attitude.

(no, this isn't any indication of how I feel about this kid's parents. I don't knot them at all or anything really about the situation. I'm talking in general)

You're right. Sometimes a teacher can positively affect a child when their parents are failing them. However, that job because exponentially tougher when the parents suck. Ultimately, if the parents suck and the teachers aren't able to reach the kid to make him/her improve, the majority of the fault still falls on the parents. It's the parent's job to make sure the child comes to school prepared to succeed and with the right attitude.

(no, this isn't any indication of how I feel about this kid's parents. I don't knot them at all or anything really about the situation. I'm talking in general)

the thing that sucks is it is all a cycle usually. Bad parenting can create major problems in school and just about everything else with a child, including when they grow up and have a kid of their own. They still operate by the broken system they learned from their parents and pass it to their children unless the child is strong enough to go against what they were taught at an early age and can restructure how they operate and break the cycle. Bad parents make more bad parents who in turn make undisciplined and uninterested children. It's crazy how much parenting can effect outcomes in a child's life, but everything they know comes from the parents so it makes sense

Same disclaimer you posted, I don't know the parents so I'm not saying they are bad. Early struggles in school can be attributed to many things. The main thing is to not blame the child necessarily, because they have a reason for whatever they are doing wrong or poorly, and the root of the cause should be explored and exterminated rather than punishment for acts themselves