Trump and the Press

Charles Krauthammer says he has 'only a few weeks left to live'

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/08/media/charles-krauthammer-washington-post-fox-news/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-note-to-readers/2018/06/08/3512010c-6b24-11e8-bea7-c8eb28bc52b1_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c48ccc8e0a28

In August of last year, I underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in my abdomen. That operation was thought to have been a success, but it caused a cascade of secondary complications — which I have been fighting in hospital ever since. It was a long and hard fight with many setbacks, but I was steadily, if slowly, overcoming each obstacle along the way and gradually making my way back to health.

However, recent tests have revealed that the cancer has returned. There was no sign of it as recently as a month ago, which means it is aggressive and spreading rapidly. My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live. This is the final verdict. My fight is over.

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to draw a direct correlation between the attack on the Capital Gazette and Trump.  Apparently the shooter had a previous lawsuit against the paper. It's possible this was a reaction to that situation and had nothing to do with Trump.

Having said that, Trump is pouring gasoline on the press and offering matches to his supporters. 

• Plus1 1

And BTW it's not just Trump. Inflammatory rhetoric about the press is coming from Rubio as well. 

Yes, the press makes mistakes, and yes, they have biases. But they are far, far better about fact-checking themselves (or each other) than politicians like Trump & Rubio.  The press issues corrections when they get a story wrong.  Rubio, et al, deliberately disseminate misinformation.

• Plus1 1