Oregon 2017 and beyond

By all accounts, Oregon has not had the season any Duck fan wants to see. They have grown to have pretty high expectations.

So...since we play them again next year, is their coach on the hot seat? Is there indication that he is going to be gone after this year?

If so...(looking farther out than next year) is their offensive system now dead at Oregon similar to how TO's system sort of died after Solich was fired? I don't want to get into a big pissing match once again about Solich/offense and if he should have been fired. I'm asking the mods to move that discussion if this thread goes in that direction.

I'm talking about Oregon here. Any successful offense has to have people running it that are experts in running it. Obviously, Oregon went through a couple coaches that were successful with it. NOW...however, they have one who is failing at running it.

So....if they make a change, is the Oregon offense dead and there will be major changes???

Is this where Frost ends up to try to revive their offense to it's glory days?

• Fire 1

Funny how these things work. Mark Helfrich was one of the hottest names in coaching when he took over the reigns of Oregon a couple years ago. But now, after his first poor year at Oregon, he's on the cusp of being fired. If he had won four or five more games this year he might be in the mix to take over Texas and bump his salary up by nearly two million. (btw, Three of the games they lost were by 3 points or less. But they've also been blown out a couple times.) Funny that.

I think it depends on what Oregon does at head coach, and who they bring in. They may end up getting a better head coach, but if that coach has a whole new philosophy it may be a 2-3 years before Oregon transitions into that coaches style, making 2017 a rebuilding year for the Ducks and Nebraska could get the tough win in Eugene. However, there is a slight chance that new coach is really good and turns things around as fast as Harbaugh did at Michigan.

Oregon keeps Helfrich, and Oregon probably a 9-10 win team next year. Why? Well, they are extremely young this year and their new QB has some serious potential to be good. Ducks offensive line is really young and will all be returning next year. They have young RB's who will be back. I think they lose some WR's, but they have speed in those positions. Their defense also returns just about everybody.

Helfrich returning could make things tough for Nebraska in 2017, because lets face it, if it weren't for Helfrich's boneheaded 2 pt conversion calls Oregon probably wins that game. If he returns he will be coaching for his job pretty much all year, but he will be handed a team full of returning starters.

Funny? No. Ironic? Absolutely! Charlie Strong was a hot name a few years ago. Today, he's about to be fired. While Shaw isn't about to be fired at Stanford, he isn't nearly the hot name he was a couple of years ago either. LSU fans a few years ago were concerned Miles was about to jump ship for Michigan. Now, he's unemployed. The same can be said about Brian Kelly. The key to these lightning in a bottle coaches is to never stay in one place too long unless your name is Nick Saban. It would be interesting to see what Florida would look like had Meyer not opted out. Their last season wasn't very impressive. Harbaugh seems to have figured this out and doesn't stay anywhere very long. I doubt he's on Michigan's sideline five years from now. If Jimbo Fisher is smart, he'll jump all over the LSU job.

I don't see Frost choosing Oregon over say Nebraska. Oregon benefited from some VERY shady recruiting shenanigans and they landed an amazing talent at QB for a period. Overall, though, they will always struggle to recruit consistently against California and other P12 teams - whether or not Phil Knight continues to dump money into the program. In many ways, Oregon and Nebraska are pretty similar in terms of their situation, so I think Frost would choose NU over Oregon if those were the options.

On the other hand, I think Frost (and most other coaches) would choose an LSU-type SEC school, a well situated ACC school or even Texas (imagine that) over Nebraska. Most rational people would. They might even choose a program like South Carolina over Nebraska.

I don't see Frost choosing Oregon over say Nebraska. Oregon benefited from some VERY shady recruiting shenanigans and they landed an amazing talent at QB for a period. Overall, though, they will always struggle to recruit consistently against California and other P12 teams - whether or not Phil Knight continues to dump money into the program. In many ways, Oregon and Nebraska are pretty similar in terms of their situation, so I think Frost would choose NU over Oregon if those were the options.

On the other hand, I think Frost (and most other coaches) would choose an LSU-type SEC school, a well situated ACC school or even Texas (imagine that) over Nebraska. Most rational people would. They might even choose a program like South Carolina over Nebraska.

According to 247 Composite Rankings, Oregon has recruited better then Nebraska has for the last 10+ years. They have averaged 18th in recruiting rankings while we have averaged 27th over that time period. The only 2 California schools that constantly out recruit them is USC and UCLA. Stanford has occasionally topped them in recruiting but not as much as one would think.

I don't think Frost would hesitate one bit on taking the Oregon job.

• Fire 2

Oregon and Chip Kelly capatilized off a very down PAC-12 conference. Kelly installed an innovative up tempo offense when programs like USC and Washington were down, and really the rest of the conference was down. Then USC got off probation, Washington woke up, and now everyone runs the up tempo stuff to where it isn't an advantage anymore. Also everyone else has tons of uniform combinations and with all the TV deals rolling in, every team has top notch facilities.

So there isn't anything special that sets Oregon apart from anyone else. I think their time as elite is over, they may get a year or two where they are in the title hunt, but they had their great run and that was that. Oregon can easily be a 9-11 win team year in and year out, but I dont think they will be at the level of the 2010-2015 run.