Oregon 2017 and beyond

Kind of a statistical oddity but it's interesting how many teams the Huskers will play over a three year span that either had new coaches or fired their coach later that season.

Miami fired Golden after Huskers played them

Illinois fired Beckman before season

Minnesota - Kill retired

Wisconsin - new coach Chryst

Fresno St. fired DeRuyter after

Oregon fired Helfrich after

Illinois - new coach Smith

Purdue fired Hazell the week before the Husker game

Maryland - new coach Durkin

Oregon - new coach ?

Purdue - new coach ?

Frost has only been and Central FL for a year, I doubt he leaves. As for him coming to NE, I have heard Damon Benning say on more then one occassion that this will not occur.

Has it ever been verified what the hangup has been with Frost? I recall hearing somewhere that he got into it pretty badly with TO after the 96 ASU game. I also recall hearing that he was interviewed or at least contacted when Bo was here for OC. Apparently he wanted Head Coach in waiting status and Bo wasn't having it. Again, that's all hearsay, no way to truly verify it. Can anyone shed any light on the Frost-NU relationship?

Frost has only been and Central FL for a year, I doubt he leaves. As for him coming to NE, I have heard Damon Benning say on more then one occassion that this will not occur.

Right, but wasn't the implication that it wouldn't happen under the current regime in the Athletic Department? And if Riley goes, so goes Eichorst...

One of the dumbest attitudes fans have in sports.

Right, but wasn't the implication that it wouldn't happen under the current regime in the Athletic Department? And if Riley goes, so goes Eichorst...

Not that I necessarily agree, but that is often how it actually goes. So it's not just the fans. It's the administration.

Especially when one administration hired the AD to fire the previous coach but now it's a new administration.

Not that I necessarily agree, but that is often how it actually goes. So it's not just the fans. It's the administration.

Especially when one administration hired the AD to fire the previous coach but now it's a new administration.

It's still idiotic.

Has it ever been verified what the hangup has been with Frost? I recall hearing somewhere that he got into it pretty badly with TO after the 96 ASU game. I also recall hearing that he was interviewed or at least contacted when Bo was here for OC. Apparently he wanted Head Coach in waiting status and Bo wasn't having it. Again, that's all hearsay, no way to truly verify it. Can anyone shed any light on the Frost-NU relationship?

No. It's all vague, shadowy rumors, countered by plenty of people that know Scott or worked with/around him that have explained he still looks at Nebraska as his dream job.

Seems kind of silly to me that people think he might let some sour grapes from when he was a kid linger for 20+ years towards his alma mater and home state.

It's still idiotic.

That's the reality in collegiate sports anymore. Don't beat me up for making a statement based on what has happened elsewhere many times over--I never said it was right.

It's still idiotic.

That's the reality in collegiate sports anymore. Don't beat me up for making a statement based on what has happened elsewhere many times over--I never said it was right.

Well...but it's driven many times by fans. An AD has one chance. You screw it up and you're gone.

That would be the same as me having three departments in my company and if I screw up hiring one department head, I lose my job. That's just ridiculous.

It's still idiotic.

Well...but it's driven many times by fans. An AD has one chance. You screw it up and you're gone.

That would be the same as me having three departments in my company and if I screw up hiring one department head, I lose my job. That's just ridiculous.

True, but out of those three departments, if one of them generated the entire operating budget for the other two departments to operate, in addition to its own, and you only interviewed one candidate, then there would be a strong impetus to make sure you got the right hire in place from the get-go for that particular department.

Again, I'm not advocating that Eichorst should be fired if Riley doesn't pan out--I'm just addressing the reality that football coaching hires are directly linked to the success of an AD on account of how important football is to the bottom line. Not saying it's just--just saying that's how it works anymore, and if Riley goes, so goes Eichorst in all likelihood.

• Fire 1

No. It's all vague, shadowy rumors, countered by plenty of people that know Scott or worked with/around him that have explained he still looks at Nebraska as his dream job.

Seems kind of silly to me that people think he might let some sour grapes from when he was a kid linger for 20+ years towards his alma mater and home state.

I'm not sure sour grapes really plays into this. When Frost was in high school and being recruited, he was looking towards his future when he chose Stanford over Nebraska. I've never really ever understood why some/a lot of fans were so butthurt over this. Given the same situation, how many people would have chosen playing at Nebraska in a power run offense over going to Stanford and playing in a west coast offense for a coach who won three Super Bowls? The only reason Frost ended up at Nebraska was because Walsh quit/retired at Stanford.

There is little doubt in my mind that Frost will approach his coaching career in the same manner. It will be very situational. If the Nebraska job comes open and it's the best available job, I think he'll take it. If the Nebraska job comes open and there's another better available job, he'll take the better job.

In todays day and age, I don't think dream jobs really matter that much. Urban Meyer once said that the Notre Dame job was his dream job. Yet when offered, he chose Florida. Can anyone honestly say they blame him? I don't think anyone should blame Frost either if/when he doesn't choose the Nebraska job.

TO and frost are on great terms.

I think the timing was wrong in '10, but I question whether that convo ever happened.

What is benning and frosts relationship? Does benning like frost as a coach? I wonder what he thinks of frost considering timing of their time in the program and Bennings relationship with LP. I think benning often lets his personal feelings and need to be perceived as having "inside information" influence how he reports. This sort of unsubstantiated public claim is just one example of many.

I'm not sure sour grapes really plays into this. When Frost was in high school and being recruited, he was looking towards his future when he chose Stanford over Nebraska. I've never really ever understood why some/a lot of fans were so butthurt over this. Given the same situation, how many people would have chosen playing at Nebraska in a power run offense over going to Stanford and playing in a west coast offense for a coach who won three Super Bowls? The only reason Frost ended up at Nebraska was because Walsh quit/retired at Stanford.

There is little doubt in my mind that Frost will approach his coaching career in the same manner. It will be very situational. If the Nebraska job comes open and it's the best available job, I think he'll take it. If the Nebraska job comes open and there's another better available job, he'll take the better job.

In todays day and age, I don't think dream jobs really matter that much. Urban Meyer once said that the Notre Dame job was his dream job. Yet when offered, he chose Florida. Can anyone honestly say they blame him? I don't think anyone should blame Frost either if/when he doesn't choose the Nebraska job.

I agree. And not to mention, having a degree from Stanford doesn't hurt either. I'm all for individuals doing what's best for them and their families.

I think you're right too, if Frost were to ever be approached by big time programs, I think he would make the most pragmatic decision.

TO and frost are on great terms.

I think the timing was wrong in '10, but I question whether that convo ever happened.

What is benning and frosts relationship? Does benning like frost as a coach? I wonder what he thinks of frost considering timing of their time in the program and Bennings relationship with LP. I think benning often lets his personal feelings and need to be perceived as having "inside information" influence how he reports. This sort of unsubstantiated public claim is just one example of many.

I kind of assumed he and TO were on good terms. I just recall hearing that after the 96 ASU game, it was relatively volatile.

I also am curious as to Damon's true opinion/relationship is of Frost. Damon and LP were very tight and it wouldn't shock me if he viewed or blamed Frost as a catalyst for LP's behavior. I recall hearing that there were plenty of other players who had a strong distaste for Frost and they took it out on him in practice at any available opportunity.

All that aside, I can't say I wouldn't be intrigued with Frost returning to NU someday. The idea of a triangle of hate with Frost, Harbaugh and Meyer is just too good to pass up.