Oregon 2017 and beyond

My take, I was under the impression Frost wanted play calling duties and Bo didn't want to give it to him.

Also I recall him being boo'd by Nebraska fans fresh off of Fraziers graduation as we "struggled" and eventually lost to ASU. I doubt being boo'd plays into his decision I just always was disappointed by my fellow fans did that.

Same deal with Bohl, everyone seems to think he'd come back in a heartbeat but he was run out of town as the scapegoat for the Colorado loss before our last National Championship game appearance.

I asked him about that and he smiled. It didn't seem to bother him. Then I talked about how all of that changed when they beat UW the next season.

During Chip Kelly's time at Oregon he capatilized off a down conference and sold extremely nice facilities and 1,000 uniform combinations. Since he has left, the rest of the Pac-12 as woken up and become good, every school has 1,000 uniform combinations, and with all the $$$ going into programs everyone has amazing facilities.

So that leaves Oregon with selling Eugene, Oregon to recruits from So Cal, Texas and Florida. A very tough task to do for a head coach. Also the new coach is still going to have the expectations of what Chip Kelly did there (again much tougher to do now) and you have a mega billionaire in Phil Knight looking over your shoulder and has more power then the AD in Eugene. That is a ton of pressure for a coach, especially a new coach.

It'll be interesting to see what Oregon does here in their hire moving forward. They have since the 70s? hired from within and kept assistants around for a long, long, long time. If they clean house you are looking at a Solich/Callahan type transition. Complete culture change, that some of the current players may not fit into, and add that Oregon is losing out on critical recruiting time without a coach and this upcoming class may be bad.

IMO, I think Oregon should have kept Helfrich for one more season. It'll be interesting to see if Oregon trends downward and stays a 7,8 win type program like they have before this rise, or if they do indeed get back into the elite status. I just find it difficult to do so given they dont have that special edge anymore.

Exactly what I've been arguing with Oregon fans.

My take, I was under the impression Frost wanted play calling duties and Bo didn't want to give it to him.

Also I recall him being boo'd by Nebraska fans fresh off of Fraziers graduation as we "struggled" and eventually lost to ASU. I doubt being boo'd plays into his decision I just always was disappointed by my fellow fans did that.

Same deal with Bohl, everyone seems to think he'd come back in a heartbeat but he was run out of town as the scapegoat for the Colorado loss before our last National Championship game appearance.

I asked him about that and he smiled. It didn't seem to bother him. Then I talked about how all of that changed when they beat UW the next season.

I always found it sort of a coincidence that I remember him getting boo'd at the UCF game and he ends up coaching there. I'm not surprised he laughed it off, it did bother ME though.

• Fire 1

Was Chip Kelly's offense really that special? They played in a conference that didn't play defense. Yeah they put up a ton of points/yards but I believe eveyone else was as well. Did Oregon win a national title with that offense?? Defense wins championships. Maybe they should find a DC to replace their current HC

Too bad Bo Pelini just accepted the HC position at Cincinnati... :funnyhahah

Was Chip Kelly's offense really that special? They played in a conference that didn't play defense. Yeah they put up a ton of points/yards but I believe eveyone else was as well. Did Oregon win a national title with that offense?? Defense wins championships. Maybe they should find a DC to replace their current HC

:confucius

Remember one of the main reasons why Bo Pelini was hired to Nebraska? It was to fix a defense that was 110th or close to it all the major defensive categories.

Plus, I was just trying to be funny. I thought the giggling emoticon was the clue.

Remember one of the main reasons why Bo Pelini was hired to Nebraska? It was to fix a defense that was 110th or close to it all the major defensive categories.

Plus, I was just trying to be funny. I thought the giggling emoticon was the clue.

I thought you were trying to be serious that he accepted the UC job that wasn't offered to him.

Well, it appears they are at least trying to maintain their offensive identity of running an uptempo spread offense with read option.

If this is Oregon's hire, it's an intriguing one. Taggart's tenure at USF is sort of defined by an offensive adaptability, switching from a West Coast Offense to more of an up-tempo spread that better suited his Florida-dominated roster. The Bulls took off after that. I'm assuming Taggart won't be just adopting the "Oregon offense" wholesale, but there will be enough similarities there that the Ducks will probably still play plenty fast and put up some points.

Ducks hire Willie Taggart from South Florida

Oregon, backed by Nike $$$$, could only pull Willie Taggert (and his 40-45 career record) from USF. Interesting.

In his 2 head coaching stops, Taggart has taken 2 bad programs (Western Kentucky and South Florida) and turned them into winners.

I wouldn't hold his career record against him.

I wouldn't either...but it wasn't the PAC 12 he was in when he was turning them around either.

This hire could end up being just as bad as a Billy C hire at Nebraska. Time will tell.

You could say most hires end up being "bad" hires as most guys end up being fired after a few years.

I would say Taggart is a great candidate because he's built teams into winners as a Head Coach in the past. He's been a head coach for 6 years already. That's pretty strong for a guy who is only 40 years old. I would rather take a chance on a young guy who is energetic and passionate about his job over an old, retread coach with 10-15 years of experience.

• Fire 1

Interesting choice. Rick Neuheisel was on Dan Patrick this morning and explained that Taggert is a product of the Harbaugh system (played for Jack at WKU, coached with Jim at Stanford), and that he is very focused on the power running game. Kind of surprised that Oregon couldn't land a bigger name, but they must see something they like here.

Oregon's list of names was sad. Taggart and Mullens from Mississippi State were the finalists. Oregon may have Nike's money, but it's still a smallish town with no recruits in the state. It's not the homerun job their fans want it to be.

Not to mention their expectations are now something no coach has ever done at Oregon, which is win a national title. Bellotti had down years and they were loyal to him. Helfrich has one down year and he is gone. What coach wants to go into that hot mess? People say Nebraska is bad for firing 9 win coaches, but at least the Cornhuskers have a very proud and long history of success where they can point to and say 9 wins doesn't cut it here.

Oregon has 4 really good years which resulted in 2? conference titles and nothing more. Plus with those expectations I don't know which coach wants Phil Knight looking over their shoulder every game. Lots of pressure for a not so easy gig, especially with Washington and USC waking up and becoming powerful again.

Taggart seems like a capable coach, but I don't see him consistently winning 10-12 games a year, which may be the only type of season that satisfies Duck fans these days. Chip Kelly was the greatest thing that happened to them and also the worst thing, because now everyone will be compared to what Chip did.

The interesting thing about this and sort of confusing since Oregon harped on how bad their defense was. Taggarts USF team had the 120th ranked defense in the country this year, compared to Oregon's 128th. And USF was playing in the American conference, not the PAC-12.

Whatever the case, I just hope the rebuilding process goes through September and Nebraska can come away with a good win in a tough venue.