Oregon 2017 and beyond

Has Coach been around to offer his opinion about the firing? He was pretty dead on about how Oregon's season would finish, up to or just after the Nebraska game. Wondering what he has been hearing. Would be incredible if Chip Kelly returned, two-fold...SF would have 4 coaches over 4 years lol

Also, Frost would have landed on his feet, but glad he got out of Eugene when he did. Managing their roster, especially defensively, could be quite the task for whoever is next up.

I was on board with the firing. There were philosophical things going on in that program from what I read and what I've heard that I don't agree with. Helfrich was very anti-confrontation toward players and didn't believe in getting after players in practice for messing up. If you take that a look at the product on the field had become, you can put 2 and 2 together. Undisciplined play, players lacking fire. It got that way a little bit in 2013 after the Stanford loss. I recall DeAnthony Thomas leading the charge of players that didn't care about what happened because they couldn't play for a title game. Then they got beat down by Arizona. Helfrich's slide in recruiting was just as much of the problem as the on-field problems.

I REALLY like the hire of Taggart. I can see why others would scratch their heads but if you pay attention to how he got his teams at WKU and USF to play. I think people will see he's EXACTLY the kind of guy Oregon needs. Filling his staff with the right guys is obviously going to make or break him. I expect a "process" to take place. I'm not going to ask for 12 wins next year, because that's super unrealistic. The Oregon fans that are demanding championships out of the gate are the ones that don't want to enjoy the process. They are the bandwagoners.

I have spent all afternoon watching USF tape and that Flowers kid. Oregon has a great QB in Herbert but this offense that Taggart runs relies much more on the QB run. Terry Wilson may be sitting there licking his chops.

Oregon, backed by Nike $$$$, could only pull Willie Taggert (and his 40-45 career record) from USF. Interesting.

Oregon's administration was contacted by Tony Dungy, Jim Harbaugh, Oliver Luck and one other big name that escapes my mind right now, all endorsing Taggart saying that he's the real deal.

Time will tell. He trends up where ever he goes.

Here's an example of his QB run game vs Navy. Flowers is a special player though

Njwil1.gif

That defensive alignment by Navy had to be a bust / mistake.

There was literally no LB on that play. It was the South Florida 5 OL against the undersized Navy 4 DL with everyone spread out covering the WRs.

It is still a great run, no doubt about it, but that alignment by Navy was awful.

Here's an example of his QB run game vs Navy. Flowers is a special player though

Njwil1.gif

There was literally no LB on that play. It was the South Florida 5 OL against the undersized Navy 4 DL with everyone spread out covering the WRs.

It is still a great run, no doubt about it, but that alignment by Navy was awful.

No doubt, but that's also the stress 5 wide can put on LB's when you have them bunched wide to both sides. Not enough DB's to play man, putting LB's out wide helps on the bubble stuff that USF does run. Guarantee Navy can't play man to man against the USF receivers anyway so that's why they chose to play zone especially when you consider the story.....

The story here is that the QB had a bum hammy the week before so being this early in the game maybe Navy didn't think the QB trap was in play? Later on you see them line up differently against this alignment.

Njwil1.gif

No doubt, but that's also the stress 5 wide can put on LB's when you have them bunched wide to both sides. Not enough DB's to play man, putting LB's out wide helps on the bubble stuff that USF does run. Guarantee Navy can't play man to man against the USF receivers anyway so that's why they chose to play zone especially when you consider the story.....

The story here is that the QB had a bum hammy the week before so being this early in the game maybe Navy didn't think the QB trap was in play? Later on you see them line up differently against this alignment.

The big thing about pace of the offense (along with a mobile QB) causes is the stress it puts on the defense. It only takes one bust in alignment and assignment by the defense to create a big play.

Oregon had 1 TD run (and I think another) against NU after there was simple misalignment by the Huskers' LB's.

Advanced stats people were not too enthused with the hire, Dave Bartoo (who is from up in the area) and associates on Twitter seem to think he coaches below talent a bit, and doesn't recruit particularly well.

Slow starter as well, which may bode well for next year's game.

Look up @CFBMatrix on twitter and check the Tweets with replies for more detail.

Advanced stats people were not too enthused with the hire, Dave Bartoo (who is from up in the area) and associates on Twitter seem to think he coaches below talent a bit, and doesn't recruit particularly well.

Slow starter as well, which may bode well for next year's game.

Look up @CFBMatrix on twitter and check the Tweets with replies for more detail.

I REALLY like the hire of Taggart. I can see why others would scratch their heads but if you pay attention to how he got his teams at WKU and USF to play. I think people will see he's EXACTLY the kind of guy Oregon needs. Filling his staff with the right guys is obviously going to make or break him. I expect a "process" to take place. I'm not going to ask for 12 wins next year, because that's super unrealistic. The Oregon fans that are demanding championships out of the gate are the ones that don't understand or want to enjoy the process. They are the bandwagoners

He wasn't Oregon's first choice, and I don't think he was Oregon's 2nd or 3rd choice. I think the Ducks settled with him, but they will tell their fans he was their only choice.

I don't think the word "Settled" is the right word.

He wasn't the first choice, but after the recommendations that were made to the admin about him it was hard to say no. A lot of people will be surprised at the changes of Oregon's play on the field.

They played with just athleticism last year. No heart, no discipline, and no respect for the Helfrich.

I'm probably optimistic and maybe a little biased but I like to think I hold a decent opinion. I guess I try to be informed about who the guy is. Not saying anyone in here isn't informed. I just think people hold a negative view of a guy that has turned around 2 programs that were in the dumpster.

He wasn't Oregon's first choice, and I don't think he was Oregon's 2nd or 3rd choice. I think the Ducks settled with him, but they will tell their fans he was their only choice.

He wasn't the first choice, but after the recommendations that were made to the admin about him it was hard to say no. A lot of people will be surprised at the changes of Oregon's play on the field.

They played with just athleticism last year. No heart, no discipline, and no respect for the Helfrich.

I'm probably optimistic and maybe a little biased but I like to think I hold a decent opinion. I guess I try to be informed about who the guy is. Not saying anyone in here isn't informed. I just think people hold a negative view of a guy that has turned around 2 programs that were in the dumpster.

He had the 120th ranked defense at South Florida. Also, saying the players didn't have respect for Helfrich is silly, you saw their reaction to Helfrich when he was fired. They knew he had their back. Now Helfrich may have been a little too hands off and laid back and the players took advantage of that, which I think Taggart will be the opposite.

I think Oregon will certainly be better next year and probably get 7-9 wins. I just hope Nebraska is ready for them. It's going to be the same old spread offense at Oregon like he ran at USF.

He had the 120th ranked defense at South Florida. Also, saying the players didn't have respect for Helfrich is silly, you saw their reaction to Helfrich when he was fired. They knew he had their back. Now Helfrich may have been a little too hands off and laid back and the players took advantage of that, which I think Taggart will be the opposite.

I think Oregon will certainly be better next year and probably get 7-9 wins. I just hope Nebraska is ready for them. It's going to be the same old spread offense at Oregon like he ran at USF.

I don't know what reaction you saw. Maybe you saw Doug Brenner's take but there were others that said they hoped the next guy would have "fire". There was definitely a level of disrespect for Helfrich. I know that to be true.