Oregon 2017 and beyond

Mark is definitely on the hot seat, but I don't see him going anywhere. He's owed $11 million and it's hard to see Oregon buying him out after one bad season and all of that money on the table.

Oregon has a few things hurting them that have been mentioned already. They're very young with a walk-on freshman QB and 4 freshman o-lineman. They haven't produced a decent QB since Mariotta left and bringing in two graduate transfers hasn't helped. That's the real issue behind the offense's demise this season. Mark hasn't gone away from Chip's script, it's just he doesn't have the pieces to make it work right now.

Their defense is historically bad under Brady Hoke. They're giving up an average of 28 points in the first half in Pac 12 play (before the Utah game). That's a lot of points to have given up by halftime. They're not much better in the second half. Both sides of the ball have had tons of injuries too.

I know Mark personally. A great guy all around. He's smart. He's personable. It's also well known that Phil Knight and his wife, Penny, really like Mark as well. I don't see him going anywhere after this season. A crappy next season may change things though.

I live in Oregon and hate the dux. Without Nike, the dux are division 2 at best. They will fire their coach soon, and no one will care. The rest of the state will go back to selling marajuana and watching the Seahawks implode.

So there's a downfall to this where?

Keeping or firing the coach in Oregon will all come down to ego, does Oregon think they are able to hang and win a battle for an elite coach with the likes of Texas, LSU, UCLA (possibly). They can write a blank check for whomever they want but will they leave those recruiting hot beds for a team that really has no history of being great

I live in Oregon and hate the dux. Without Nike, the dux are division 2 at best. They will fire their coach soon, and no one will care. The rest of the state will go back to selling marajuana and watching the Seahawks implode.

So there's a downfall to this where?

Keeping or firing the coach in Oregon will all come down to ego, does Oregon think they are able to hang and win a battle for an elite coach with the likes of Texas, LSU, UCLA (possibly). They can write a blank check for whomever they want but will they leave those recruiting hot beds for a team that really has no history of being great

The media in Oregon seems to think Phil Knight will write a huge check to whoever they want.

Im not so sure Frost would go back to Oregon. Hes in a really good spot at UCF and could build them into a perrenial top 25 team in a couple years imo. Oregon has some big advantages but there are a fair amount of disadvantages there too. I also think there was some contention there when he left.

Oregon has no reason to rush things. Too many schools looking for a coach, not enough quality coaches available and they owe Helfrich alot of money. Panicking and trying to get Tom Herman could end in disaster if they don't land him. Wait until less schools are on the hunt and hope an elite coach becomes available (Brian Kelly?)

In the mean time you can evaluate the direction Helfrich is taking the program

Mark is definitely on the hot seat, but I don't see him going anywhere. He's owed $11 million and it's hard to see Oregon buying him out after one bad season and all of that money on the table.

Oregon has a few things hurting them that have been mentioned already. They're very young with a walk-on freshman QB and 4 freshman o-lineman. They haven't produced a decent QB since Mariotta left and bringing in two graduate transfers hasn't helped. That's the real issue behind the offense's demise this season. Mark hasn't gone away from Chip's script, it's just he doesn't have the pieces to make it work right now.

Their defense is historically bad under Brady Hoke. They're giving up an average of 28 points in the first half in Pac 12 play (before the Utah game). That's a lot of points to have given up by halftime. They're not much better in the second half. Both sides of the ball have had tons of injuries too.

I know Mark personally. A great guy all around. He's smart. He's personable. It's also well known that Phil Knight and his wife, Penny, really like Mark as well. I don't see him going anywhere after this season. A crappy next season may change things though.

Re-read this post and every time Oregon is mentioned, replace it with Nebraska in the 80's/90's, with our strength and conditioning, advantages being on TV a lot, partial qualifiers, unique offense, etc.

Then get really sad.

• Fire 1

Has Coach been around to offer his opinion about the firing? He was pretty dead on about how Oregon's season would finish, up to or just after the Nebraska game. Wondering what he has been hearing. Would be incredible if Chip Kelly returned, two-fold...SF would have 4 coaches over 4 years lol

Also, Frost would have landed on his feet, but glad he got out of Eugene when he did. Managing their roster, especially defensively, could be quite the task for whoever is next up.

Frost has only been and Central FL for a year, I doubt he leaves. As for him coming to NE, I have heard Damon Benning say on more then one occassion that this will not occur.

Right, but wasn't the implication that it wouldn't happen under the current regime in the Athletic Department? And if Riley goes, so goes Eichorst...