Husker Coordinators

Mavric

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I re watched the first half pass plays today to watch the line play.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

That's not the play call's fault.

These arguments are always one-sided - pointing to the time that TA passed on another throw.

My argument is that there are other games when we were calling different types of pass plays that didn't have the deep options for TA to choose. There were several games where we almost exclusively had short routes and TA had high completion percentages those games.

My point is we did not seem to be calling those same types of plays in other games. That is the play caller's fault.

But you can't only have short route patterns or those easy underneath throws won't be there either.

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

These arguments are always one-sided - pointing to the time that TA passed on another throw.

My argument is that there are other games when we were calling different types of pass plays that didn't have the deep options for TA to choose. There were several games where we almost exclusively had short routes and TA had high completion percentages those games.

My point is we did not seem to be calling those same types of plays in other games. That is the play caller's fault.

Not sure why you are saying it's "one sided". There were games where he did a good job of hitting short passes. Other games, the open receiver is still there but he does nothing but chucks it down field 40 yards.

Sure....different plays are called. But, that probably has to do with going against different defenses and what the defense is doing. But....the fact remains. The short passes are still there but TA refused to even consider them.

This discussion started by people claiming Alabama's OC was SOOOOO much better than Langsdorf for some reason. That argument is not valid when you actually look at the offenses. People are pissed at Langs because he expects TA to be able to throw the ball. Alabama's OC expects their mobile QB to do the same thing. The difference is, their QB was MUCH more successful doing so which greatly changed their entire offensive dynamic.

• Fire 2

Not sure why you are saying it's "one sided". There were games where he did a good job of hitting short passes. Other games, the open receiver is still there but he does nothing but chucks it down field 40 yards.

Sure....different plays are called. But, that probably has to do with going against different defenses and what the defense is doing. But....the fact remains. The short passes are still there but TA refused to even consider them.

This discussion started by people claiming Alabama's OC was SOOOOO much better than Langsdorf for some reason. That argument is not valid when you actually look at the offenses. People are pissed at Langs because he expects TA to be able to throw the ball. Alabama's OC expects their mobile QB to do the same thing. The difference is, their QB was MUCH more successful doing so which greatly changed their entire offensive dynamic.

My point on "one-sided" is that they're always pointing to the times when plays were called that gave TA an option to throw deep and never looking at other times when a different play was called that did not give him that option. I've been trying to point out that we have both in the playbook. So, yes, TA is at fault for not taking the shorter throws when they are there. But the play-calling is also at least as much at fault for continuing to give him that option - especially when it's not working and he's shown repeatedly that he will keep doing it if given the option.

My point on "one-sided" is that they're always pointing to the times when plays were called that gave TA an option to throw deep and never looking at other times when a different play was called that did not give him that option. I've been trying to point out that we have both in the playbook. So, yes, TA is at fault for not taking the shorter throws when they are there. But the play-calling is also at least as much at fault for continuing to give him that option - especially when it's not working and he's shown repeatedly that he will keep doing it if given the option.

I agree with Mav on the aspect of needing to have short easy passes for TA to complete but I would argue some of our offensive woes have been bc teams don't have to respect the deep ball, pretty much at all. How many deep passes have we actually completed this year? Offhand, I can't think of more than 5 at most. I hate watching TA chuck up YOLObombs all day but you have to at least make defenses think you're going to try it to keep them honest. Much easier to defend the passing game when you know it's basically never going to be a long ball. Plus, there's plenty of times where the deep route is open and Tommy just doesn't make the throw.

Are you big on firing Banker because of the Ohio State game?

No. His defensive scheme last year was an abomination. This year's is significantly better but still nothing great. We've benefited from playing a lot of terrible offenses. The only two good offenses we've played this year we had trouble stopping (Oregon, without their best offensive player for most of the game) or literally couldn't stop at all (Ohio St.).

So I'm not a Banker fan. Although the reason I bring that up - and why it's in this thread - is because I think Bray is going to start getting calls and we may have to find a way to get him a promotion to keep him. Probably not this year but it's not going to be long. And I think losing him would be bad - worth shipping Banker out to keep him.

Banker isn't going anywhere this year, and if the time comes to replace him someday you do so by hiring a great, proven DC. Not a position coach you are afraid to lose.

Your entire thought about Bray is verbatum what people said about Papuchis at one point. How did that work out?

And that was with a defensive minded head coach. You seriously think firing Banker and handing the D over to a guy who has never called plays is a good plan when Riley is all offense at this stage of his career?

I don't particularly want Bray moving on but if he does then the way you replace him is with another stud linebacker coach not by putting him in a position he likely is not ready for - expecially at a program like Nebraska.

So tired of people wringing their hands and worrying if people are going to leave someday like this isn't f'n Nebraska. A big problem the past decade plus is for some dumb reason we started making decisions that make the program weaker in fear of losing talent. If good talent leaves it sucks , but you man the F up and treat it as an opportunity to upgrade and get stronger.

Not exactly, its not that easy. Predictably on offense is a great way to get stopped by even a mediocre defense. Langsdorf did a good job of mixing up his attack and trying to exploit an opponents weaknesses but to do that you need a more polished passer and that's not Armstrongs forte.

The only thing I will slam Langsdorf for is not using the QB run more last year, this year with the Line situation most of his strengths were negated against good teams. Thus the yolo bombs. Let him throw it up there and see if he can make a big play.

This years offense was a unit playing hurt and limited on playbook, most of our running plays we couldn't even call due to injuries/incompetence.

Lets be patient before we ride Langsdorf too hard.

• Fire 1

I am done with banker too, I've never liked his system, too passive and vanilla. Time for a more aggressive defense that people are afraid of

I completely agree. It would be nice to have a scheme where the QB is thinking oh sh!t who is coming to hit me this down. I would give up a few big plays if it meant we were laying the wood to the QB most of the other plays.

• Fire 1

No. His defensive scheme last year was an abomination. This year's is significantly better but still nothing great. We've benefited from playing a lot of terrible offenses. The only two good offenses we've played this year we had trouble stopping (Oregon, without their best offensive player for most of the game) or literally couldn't stop at all (Ohio St.).

So I'm not a Banker fan. Although the reason I bring that up - and why it's in this thread - is because I think Bray is going to start getting calls and we may have to find a way to get him a promotion to keep him. Probably not this year but it's not going to be long. And I think losing him would be bad - worth shipping Banker out to keep him.

Banker isn't going anywhere this year, and if the time comes to replace him someday you do so by hiring a great, proven DC. Not a position coach you are afraid to lose.

Your entire thought about Bray is verbatum what people said about Papuchis at one point. How did that work out?

And that was with a defensive minded head coach. You seriously think firing Banker and handing the D over to a guy who has never called plays is a good plan when Riley is all offense at this stage of his career?

I don't particularly want Bray moving on but if he does then the way you replace him is with another stud linebacker coach not by putting him in a position he likely is not ready for - expecially at a program like Nebraska.

So tired of people wringing their hands and worrying if people are going to leave someday like this isn't f'n Nebraska. A big problem the past decade plus is for some dumb reason we started making decisions that make the program weaker in fear of losing talent. If good talent leaves it sucks , but you man the F up and treat it as an opportunity to upgrade and get stronger.

Agreed use money to keep Bray & find the best option to be the DC if we get to that point.

Quite certain the first bolded never happened.

Not sure what you're referring to on the second bolded but I'm not really sure that happened either.

If we had a pretty good DC at the moment, I wouldn't be in favor of making that move. I really don't think there's any possibility that Bray would be worse and think it's entirely possible that he'd be a decent upgrade so I'm not seeing the down-side.

Not exactly, its not that easy. Predictably on offense is a great way to get stopped by even a mediocre defense. Langsdorf did a good job of mixing up his attack and trying to exploit an opponents weaknesses but to do that you need a more polished passer and that's not Armstrongs forte.

The only thing I will slam Langsdorf for is not using the QB run more last year, this year with the Line situation most of his strengths were negated against good teams. Thus the yolo bombs. Let him throw it up there and see if he can make a big play.

This years offense was a unit playing hurt and limited on playbook, most of our running plays we couldn't even call due to injuries/incompetence.

Well it pretty much is that simple. We did basically that in at least four games this year and probably five.

I'm not saying never throw deep. A couple times here and there will keep them honest. But there's no reason to do it a dozen times a game. And especially on about every third and 6 we come across.

Well it pretty much is that simple. We did basically that in at least four games this year and probably five.

I'm not saying never throw deep. A couple times here and there will keep them honest. But there's no reason to do it a dozen times a game. And especially on about every third and 6 we come across.

I agree the 3rd and six calls drove me crazy too. Problem is you show me a game where Tommy is good throwing the short and medium passes and i can show you a game, like the game vs Iowa where if he doesn't shoot a laser right at Stanley Morgan he completes that pass. It seems like every game we can go back and find those passes, his poor choices aren't just reading coverage's but also on how much strength he's putting behind throws.

When Tommy is on his game your argument is sound but he has never been that consistent. Langsdorf did his best with the little he had and we went 9-3. I'll pass judgement on him when he has a full roster of his guys. And if he is still making those same boneheaded calls ill be right here with ya cussing up a storm.

I agree the 3rd and six calls drove me crazy too. Problem is you show me a game where Tommy is good throwing the short and medium passes and i can show you a game, like the game vs Iowa where if he doesn't shoot a laser right at Stanley Morgan he completes that pass. It seems like every game we can go back and find those passes, his poor choices aren't just reading coverage's but also on how much strength he's putting behind throws.

When Tommy is on his game your argument is sound but he has never been that consistent. Langsdorf did his best with the little he had and we went 9-3. I'll pass judgement on him when he has a full roster of his guys. And if he is still making those same boneheaded calls ill be right here with ya cussing up a storm.

Tommy is not consistent over the long haul. But he was pretty consistent this year when given a heavy dose of short, easy passes where he didn't have to lead receivers.

On a short term (one game) basis, you have to be pretty consistent to complete 62.1%, 69.6% and 70.4% (plus the game where Ryker completed 62.2%).

Tommy is not consistent over the long haul. But he was pretty consistent this year when given a heavy dose of short, easy passes where he didn't have to lead receivers.

On a short term (one game) basis, you have to be pretty consistent to complete 62.1%, 69.6% and 70.4% (plus the game where Ryker completed 62.2%).

agreed again, but thats just 3 games out of the twelve and against less than fantastic defenses. Tommy, like this team, can dominant lesser opponents, but against more aggressive and skilled DB's those options weren't open consistently enough. This got Tommy frustrated, he starts forcing, and here we go again more yolo bombs...