Bruce Read. Fired

Banker lost a ton on the line and we will see how the defense does next year.

I think Banker should go. I backed him heavily even after the OSU game, but after the Iowa game I realized something: We sh#t the bed against above average offenses, especially on the road. Ohio State's elite offense? Destroyed us. Iowa's slightly above-average offense? Destroyed us. Minnesota's decent offense? Had they not made a ton of mistakes, we would have lost. I had legit hope up to and including the Wisconsin game, because our defense performed as they should have in every one of those games, but that was all erased in the past 4 games.

As for Langsdorf, I can see either side. If he got fired, I wouldn't riot. If he got retained, I wouldn't riot either. I'm leaning more towards fire him too only because I am still not comfortable with his play calling abilities, There is no wrong side on this matter (except stupid ones, of course). I'll be patient with him even though I don't want to be.

I like Cav. Had to work with walk-ons, and still produced a not-horrendous o-line.

As long as Keith Williams starts smiling in group photos and stops getting DUIs, I like him. Great recruiter and very enthusiastic. Seriously though, has anyone seen his Instagram? Almost looks like he's intentionally frowning in photos.

You will see the light on this one to, you are just alittle slow on the eval

Let's talk next year when we have actual top prospects playing there.

• Fire 1

Folks--Banker won't be fired unless they can line up a quality DC to replace him first...and honestly, there aren't a lot of those on the market, and I don't think we can afford to risk promoting a position coach up.

Plus, would terminating Banker impact our recruitment? I haven't kept up on our recruiting...

I would be in favor of trying to get Charlie Strong as a DC. It's been said numerous times that he'd be an awesome DC.
I for one am an advocate for this although, this got me thinking about Will Muschamp. Awesome DC at Texas, goes to be the HC at Florida, gets fired after a short tenure and then hops on to the Auburn staff as a DC for one year, not really improving their defense I might add, before bolting to SC. I do not want to hire Charlie Strong for a 1 year pit stop as a DC.
But if you want great coordinators, that's a chance you have to be willing to take. You don't want to stop hiring talented people with the fear they might leave in a year.
the problem is in the case of Muschamp especailly, he wasn't a great coordinator for the time they had him, then a year later they are scrambling for someone else. I'm fine if Strong comes here for a year and coaches the defense up to top 3 in our conference and then leaves. But he can just go elsewhere if we were to hire him, see no markable improvement and he leaves after a year. Not worth it imo unless he brings in the best defensive recruiting class we have ever had in his one year.

You have to be willing to make gambles like this. It's what being a good HC is all about. You can't just hire a nobody and expect him to lead your team to the top.
That is true, but you can stick with what you have and try to build continuity and consistency with your coaching, that can lead to success too.

Scrapping what you have and starting over can definitely work. You can play great defense with 3 different coordinators in 3 years if you are landing the home runs coaches. But I think for our defense right now, going through 3 DC changes in 3 years could also leave us in ruins because we have no direction with it.

If your keep your coaches and go with the continuity approach you have more clear direction. Is it the right direction? The on field results will show that. It it's not that's definitely a sign for a new DC and you have wasted time when your could have tried to get a great DC in there a few years earlier.

I think Strong is a great coach and would probably be great for us, but I'm also not hell bent on firing Banker, I am open to giving him more time.

With Read's vaunted "let everyone stand around while 6 guys swarm the return man" punting unit, he will have no problems finding a new job.

Best of luck shitbag

Woah... really?

Yes, really. Punt returns and kickoff returns were absolutely terrible this year. Or was the shitbag comment too much?

Yes, it was too much.

Read was a non-existent recruiter as well. Now we can get another good recruiter on the trail to help upgrade this roster.

^^This. I'd love to see us pick up somebody from the soon-to-be-fired Whorns staff. Someone with tons of Texas high school connections.

Banker lost a ton on the line and we will see how the defense does next year.

I think Banker should go. I backed him heavily even after the OSU game, but after the Iowa game I realized something: We sh#t the bed against above average offenses, especially on the road. Ohio State's elite offense? Destroyed us. Iowa's slightly above-average offense? Destroyed us. Minnesota's decent offense? Had they not made a ton of mistakes, we would have lost. I had legit hope up to and including the Wisconsin game, because our defense performed as they should have in every one of those games, but that was all erased in the past 4 games.

As for Langsdorf, I can see either side. If he got fired, I wouldn't riot. If he got retained, I wouldn't riot either. I'm leaning more towards fire him too only because I am still not comfortable with his play calling abilities, There is no wrong side on this matter (except stupid ones, of course). I'll be patient with him even though I don't want to be.

I like Cav. Had to work with walk-ons, and still produced a not-horrendous o-line.

As long as Keith Williams starts smiling in group photos and stops getting DUIs, I like him. Great recruiter and very enthusiastic. Seriously though, has anyone seen his Instagram? Almost looks like he's intentionally frowning in photos.

Kudos to Coach Riley. Never easy to fire someone. Showed a desire to succeed that is hidden behind the "aw shucks interviews" and gum chewing. Unsure who we will hire, but safe to say it will be an upgrade. Maybe not in production, but at least in a reduction of mistakes....

I high lighted the above as this is why I have an issue with Langs. Replace slightly above offense with defense and we got the same results from Langs...... We struggled against several teams and only won do to our depth...... The teams we could wear down, we lost to... Out of the last 7 games, IMO, Langs only called one good one and that was Maryland. Again, they were a lowly opponent so that needs to factor in. He also called game predicted on a QB who could throw better than TA and was no real threat to run. BUT against more physical teams, he had no answer to slow or exploit a more physical front 7. None. Kind of the MO of the whole staff. Beat who you should, one crazy loss (or for us the blowouts), and beat a team we shouldn't.... OSU (anomaly loss), Wisky (our almost 2016 MSU), beat the bottom feeders......

Again, kudos to Riley. Guy wants the win.... At a minimum, the other coaches are talking. And that's a good thing IMO.

Sometimes it's easier to fire guys that you are friends with, especially if the guy getting fired knows he's not getting the job done.

"Hey Bruce, I'm sorry man, but I gotta let you go."

"I understand, Mike. The special teams were pretty crappy this year. Thanks for getting me the job and the sweet payday the past 2 years. I still get paid for 2017 right?"

"Yeah, Bruce, you are getting paid for next year. In fact, he's a check right here."

"Sweet, buddy. I think I'm gonna go back to Corvallis for a while. Let me know when you are back in town, and we can grab some drinks."

• Fire 1

Sometimes it's easier to fire guys that you are friends with, especially if the guy getting fired knows he's not getting the job done.

"I understand, Mike. The special teams were pretty crappy this year. Thanks for getting me the job and the sweet payday the past 2 years. I still get paid for 2017 right?"

"Yeah, Bruce, you are getting paid for next year. In fact, he's a check right here."

"Sweet, buddy. I think I'm gonna go back to Corvallis for a while. Let me know when you are back in town, and we can grab some drinks."

I must say I thought of this earlier and I agree with you.

Wow, so much hate for Banker in this thread. I realize this will be an unpopular thing to say, but we did not *totally* suck on defense this year. I know, I know, the two blowouts. I watched. ( :facepalm: ) But despite those two games we finished the year ranked #22 in total defense. (#30 in scoring defense). Sure, that's nothing to write home about. Plenty of room for improvement and all. But you do have to consider that we lost our entire defensive line from last year, including our top four DTs. We played the year with two new starters at DT, one DE who was a walk-on and the other DE who is converted tight end. Even though I'm perplexed and a bit pissed about the two blowout games I was mostly pleased with our defensive performance in the other ten games. I don't think it's time to break out the pitchforks and torches just yet for Banker.

Read on the other hand ... yeah, gimme a pitchfork and torch.

• Fire 3

Wow, so much hate for Banker in this thread. I realize this will be an unpopular thing to say, but we did not *totally* suck on defense this year. I know, I know, the two blowouts. I watched. ( :facepalm: ) But despite those two games we finished the year ranked #22 in total defense. (#30 in scoring defense). Sure, that's nothing to write home about. Plenty of room for improvement and all. But you do have to consider that we lost our entire defensive line from last year, including our top four DTs. We played the year with two new starters at DT, one DE who was a walk-on and the other DE who is converted tight end. Even though I'm perplexed and a bit pissed about the two blowout games I was mostly pleased with our defensive performance in the other ten games. I don't think it's time to break out the pitchforks and torches just yet for Banker.

The problem with the stats in total defense and scoring defense is that the stats are helped by 2 things

1) The crappy offenses in the B1G

2) The way Riley's offense slows things down so significantly to specifically keep the ball away from the other team and help out the defense. There are plenty times where I wish Riley and Langsdorf would go uptempo (and not in a 2-minute drill) and they just keep sitting on the ball.

I must say I thought of this earlier and I agree with you.

I agree too...I would not even be shocked if Read said "Look, this sucks here, I am a ST coach and I get ripped on all the time, why don't we just part ways. I am totally cool with it"

Great move by Riley and had to happen. We had one of the best returners in the conference and he was a non-factor all year. Plus the other gaffes in ST were awful.

If we can get Charlie Strong, go for it. Can coach defense and recruit TX and FL.

Langsdorf is here to stay based on the QB's we are recruiting. Banker is interesting to me. Sure we weren't that good on defense but he was no worse than Pelini. And he didn't have a D-Line at all. I think once we have the personnel to pressure the QB, Banker will do it and that is the brand of defense I want to see...fast and downhill.

the kind you mean when even ray charles could complete the under routes cuz we are giving a 10yard cushion

Well I guess if you are alright with just "suckin alot" it is all good then