Iowa - Nebraska Talent Comparison

BIG ERN

I get the feeling people are saying Iowa has more talent because they beat us the way they did.

I call BS on that.

I went back to look at the three big plays that broke our back in the first half. These three plays make up basically 50% of their entire offensive production (201 yards).

75 yard TD run = Banderas should have had the RB tackled in the hole but he over runs the hole. It's an easy cut back that most Div 1 RBs could have made including any of ours. The Safety also over ran the play and is out of position to make a tackle after a decent gain. (our player allowed the play to happen with his mistake)

70 yard reception TD = the Safety is totally out of position and making the wrong move at the snap to be anywhere around the WR when he caught the ball. Not sure what the heck he was thinking there. (our player allowed the play to happen with his mistake)

56 yard run to set up third TD = This is maybe the only one of the three that could be labeled that they just flat out beat us (maybe). Their line got a great push on ours. Newby was in position to make a tackle but a lineman got up field to get a block on him. Gerry was covering a different gap and had to recover to make the tackle 56 yards later. Not sure what the heck Banderas was doing on this play. Didn't make much sense to me.

If those three plays don't happen, this is a totally different game. We are down 20 -3 at half and demoralized. The other 59 plays of the game only accounted for 207 yards of offense.

We were not beat on those three plays because they were so much more physically talented than us. Our guys made mistakes that allowed those plays to be easy.

Yep. Similar story as last year. We completely dominated them on the vast majority of the snaps played.

Unfortuneatly, the few snaps that they "won" had a much larger impact on the final score.

I get the feeling people are saying Iowa has more talent because they beat us the way they did.

I call BS on that.

I went back to look at the three big plays that broke our back in the first half. These three plays make up basically 50% of their entire offensive production (201 yards).

75 yard TD run = Banderas should have had the RB tackled in the hole but he over runs the hole. It's an easy cut back that most Div 1 RBs could have made including any of ours. The Safety also over ran the play and is out of position to make a tackle after a decent gain. (our player allowed the play to happen with his mistake)

70 yard reception TD = the Safety is totally out of position and making the wrong move at the snap to be anywhere around the WR when he caught the ball. Not sure what the heck he was thinking there. (our player allowed the play to happen with his mistake)

56 yard run to set up third TD = This is maybe the only one of the three that could be labeled that they just flat out beat us (maybe). Their line got a great push on ours. Newby was in position to make a tackle but a lineman got up field to get a block on him. Gerry was covering a different gap and had to recover to make the tackle 56 yards later. Not sure what the heck Banderas was doing on this play. Didn't make much sense to me.

If those three plays don't happen, this is a totally different game. We are down 20 -3 at half and demoralized. The other 59 plays of the game only accounted for 207 yards of offense.

We were not beat on those three plays because they were so much more physically talented than us. Our guys made mistakes that allowed those plays to be easy.

Yep. Similar story as last year. We completely dominated them on the vast majority of the snaps played.

Unfortuneatly, the few snaps that they "won" had a much larger impact on the final score.

You could play the what if game all you want. Of course when people score someone is out of position

Wadley had one cut back and took it 75 yards - something Newby hasn't done in his whole career.

Considering Newby has done this a couple times this year and more over his career, I don't think your analysis is very objective.

Newby has never had a 75 yard run or longer.

I mean .... really? You're usually pretty straight-forward but you're straining your credibility here. You're really going to nit-pick on the exact yardage? Was he going to get caught on those 60+ yard runs if he had to go 10 more yards?

Missing the forest for the trees. Big time.

I'm sorry you and several others thought Newby was a good running back. He just wasn't. Period

My post from last year as well------------------

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

EYE TEST: Newby isn't a good running back...

I guess Ameer Abdullah would disagree with you. So people have different opinions.

I will say he's probably not an ideal RB for the offense Langsdorf wants to run. But I don't think he has a really good feel for how to develop a running game either. So it makes it kind of hard to tell.

Newby was a good running back. Just not good enough to make up for a subpar OL.

Unless one is Walter Payton or Barry Sanders, very few are. This is one of the things that disturbs me. Almost everyone gets caught up with having a high rated recruiting class, but what most miss is most of those ratings are based on skill position players. Highly rated skill position players isn't what is going to get us over the hump. We need highly rated OL and DL. Very few teams are successful when they lose in the trenches.