Interesting Article about Incognito

cm husker

I've always had conflicted opinions about this guy, but this is a really good article. Much like Suh (and, dare I say Pelini), I don't think he's the villain he's been painted as in this world where we like clearly defined roles, but there's also no doubt that his reputation is a product of wrongful actions.

Very true statement here:

It is one of the most uncomfortable truths in a sport that has many: Incognito's personality, and how it fits into the small-group dynamic of an NFL locker room, is prized because of its rough edges, not in spite of them. The culture creates it, fosters it, rewards and then discards it, never particularly interested in whether it can exist in a world that doesn't subscribe to the same rules.

This is true in so many organizations. When I was in the military, I needed a senior enlisted who was rough, almost feared, to crack heads when that was needed and set a tone of toughness. I think coaching staffs need that, too. McBride certainly served that roll for Osborne, for example.

There's nothing subtle about Incognito, no hidden complexity. As a 16-year-old at a Nebraska football camp, he collected money from other campers and placed a call to have two strippers come to the dorm. (They were turned away by the staff.) Three years ago, his actions in Miami caused a national debate that touched on a triple crown of social ills: bullying, racism and sexism. And yet within this average American NFL locker room, he is uniformly praised as a leader who is willing -- no, eager; no, determined -- to defend those teammates with unquestioned loyalty.

"He's a guy who's accountable," guard John Miller says. "You have to admire someone who's willing to take up for his teammates. Every team needs one of them."

The article touches on what I think is a cornerstone in leadership and being a teammate, and that's a sense that a person is genuine. A guy may be a complete ass, but if you know where he stands and where you stand, it's much more palatable than a nice guy who smiles while twisting the knife.

Definitely a complex situation.

Very well written article.

• Fire 1

I was hugely disappointed when Callahan showed Incognito the door. He was our best O-lineman at the time.

I rarely agreed with a Callahan move, but from what I understood of the circumstances, removal was probably the only real option.

I guess it's been long enough that it's not really a controversy anymore. What are the circumstances you're talking about?

I was hugely disappointed when Callahan showed Incognito the door. He was our best O-lineman at the time.

I rarely agreed with a Callahan move, but from what I understood of the circumstances, removal was probably the only real option.

I guess it's been long enough that it's not really a controversy anymore. What are the circumstances you're talking about?

Iirc, he punched a much smaller teammate, injuring him in the process. In a lockerroom. He also had problems under Solich.

I agree that he's a phenomenal talent though.

Iirc, he punched a much smaller teammate, injuring him in the process. In a lockerroom. He also had problems under Solich.

I agree that he's a phenomenal talent though.

Incognito was a great player, but a giant a-hole, and not a good teammate. I thought it was appropriate to kick him off the team.

He tried to transfer to Oregon, but flamed out there, as well, basically for a Grade A Prick.

Grant Mulkey, a 5-11 slot receiver was the player he was fighting with. Not that it was the only incident, of course.

Side note: the $5 Bits of Broken Chair trophy in your signature, the university asks that you place a cloth over the image or place it in a storage box.

lol! how about a milk carton with #brokenchair on it? Great, one more Husker project for me to waste my time on at work.