Riley eyeing Donte Williams

I am confused here...Isn't Arizona 3-9 this season? Why are we always getting coaches with average to losing records? Aren't any good winning coaches willing to come to Nebraska any more? If he is such a good recruiter, why is his team 3-9?

Hes a DB coach. Not a head coach or coordinator. Them being 3-9 has nothing to do with him.

I am confused here...Isn't Arizona 3-9 this season? Why are we always getting coaches with average to losing records? Aren't any good winning coaches willing to come to Nebraska any more? If he is such a good recruiter, why is his team 3-9?

Hope this is sarcasm

Hes a DB coach. Not a head coach or coordinator. Them being 3-9 has nothing to do with him.

I disagree with your premise (that positions coaches have nothing to do with record), but agree that he's not responsible for 3-9, if for no other reason than he was only hired to Arizona this year.

But there is something to be said in that he's never been part of a winning culture, as far as I can tell. San Jose St was terrible while he was there, for example.

In the end, he's being hired because he's supposed to be a great recruiter - will be interesting to see if he can pull kids to NU as well as he seems to have pulled to Arizona during a partial recruiting cycle.

I find it interesting that some here are not eviscerating him for lasting less than a year at Arizona - essentially bailing on his commitment there. Personally, I have not much problems with a coach jumping, especially if the players/recruits are able to bail, too, if needed.

Williams joins the Arizona coaching staff after three seasons at San Jose State, including the final two when he served as the secondary coach and recruiting coordinator. Under his tutelage, the Spartans boasted one of the nation’s top pass defenses, including the best mark in all of FBS in 2014 (117.8 yards per game), which was followed up by a No. 2 finish in 2015 (153.6 ypg).

The Spartans’ defense made immediate improvement with Williams, who was promoted from cornerbacks coach to secondary after one year. In his first season overseeing the entire secondary in 2014, San Jose State’s total defense improved 56 spots in the FBS rankings, while passing yards allowed improved 74 spots and passing touchdowns allowed jumped 103 spots.

In addition to his on-field work, Williams has garnered recognition for bolstering San Jose State’s recruiting efforts. In February 2015, Sports Illustrated named Williams a Top 10 recruiter in college football. He was also tabbed the top recruiter in the Mountain West Conference by 247sports.com in 2014.

I'm sure he was only hired for his recruiting chops, though....

• Fire 4

In the end, he's being hired because he's supposed to be a great recruiter - will be interesting to see if he can pull kids to NU as well as he seems to have pulled to Arizona during a partial recruiting cycle.

Yes, this seems clear. If you're in the Riley mold you're also a teacher of the game, but this is most definitely a recruiting-minded staff change, and I couldn't be happier about it.

I didn't mind Bruce Read and I'm happy with a STs coach if that's what Riley wants. But we appear to be exchanging a coach who barely recruited for one of the most talented recruiters in the country with big West Coast ties.

It also reminds me of the Tim Beck hire to tOSU. Programs that make recruiting a focus never stop thinking about how to keep recruiting strong. Riley's staff has I think recruited adequately but will really benefit from this addition.

I find it interesting that some here are not eviscerating him for lasting less than a year at Arizona - essentially bailing on his commitment there. Personally, I have not much problems with a coach jumping, especially if the players/recruits are able to bail, too, if needed.

Only if they leave Nebraska, and it doesn't matter how many years ;)