Big Ten Recruiting

Now that we are through the regular season and heavy into recruiting. For years now, the Big Ten has been looked at as at least the 2nd best or sometimes the 3rd best conference in the country. Arguably this year, the Big Ten was the best conference in the country.

For years now, we have heard recruits and media people fawn all over the SEC claiming XYZ player has "SEC speed"....bla bla bla.... We have heard many recruits get all giddy because they get a scholarship offer from SEC schools.

So, when will we start hearing recruits say they want to play in the Big Ten because it's the best conference?

When will we start hearing pundits say recruits have the talent it takes to play in the Big Ten?

• Fire 1

The big Ten overtook the SEC as the best overall conference, in my view, with Ohio State's national title. Clearly, the polls indicate with the high number of highly ranked teams in the top twenty, that national reputation of the conference is now elite.

When we joined the Big Ten, it was, at best, third and perhaps even fourth behind Big 12, SEC and Pac 12. I believe the SEC has slipped from the top spot, because of the 'beat each other up' syndrome (Big Ten has had it too) and the lack of non-conference wins the Big Ten has posted in Sept. The SEC has tremendous talent but the Big Ten does as well. I think the middle third of the big Ten is stronger. The bottom feeders are comparable. It is very close but Big Ten edges SEC. I credit Nebraska joinder as the watershed moment as the tides began to flow toward the Big Ten and away from the Big 12. Our joinder helped Ohio State and Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Wiscy too.

Ironically, I am not sure that Nebraska joining was actually helpful to Nebraska's national image / cause. If we manage to climb up into the Big Ten elite status with Ohio State and Michigan, we will be back in the top ten consistently. It's like climbing the Eiger but if done it will be a great accomplishment.

Not holding my breath....

I'm not either.

However, if OSU wins the championship this year, it really puts an exclamation point on the fact the Big Ten IS the best conference right now.

We have OSU and Michigan that everyone just thinks is the bee's knees. We then have PSU and Wisconsin that played in the CCG and were top ten a lot of the year. We also have Iowa and Nebraska that I believe both are on the rise.

That's a pretty deep conference.

The key is to keep successful coaches and keep recruiting top players to the conference.

It will never be the same as it was/is for the SEC, because the SEC is a culture thing. If you live in the south, there's 1. God 2. Family 3. SEC Football 4. The rest of college football 5. NFL and other junk.

Since so many recruits come out of the south, there will always be that mystique around the SEC, not necessarily because it's rationally superior but because it holds an elevated level of respect and devotion.

It will never be the same as it was/is for the SEC, because the SEC is a culture thing. If you live in the south, there's 1. God 2. Family 3. SEC Football 4. The rest of college football 5. NFL and other junk.

Since so many recruits come out of the south, there will always be that mystique around the SEC, not necessarily because it's rationally superior but because it holds an elevated level of respect and devotion.

I can understand that with a kid from the south. However, we have heard that from recruits from other parts of the country.

I think we could start hearing recruits say..."Wow...I'm good enough to play in the Big Ten" if we continue to have this kind of success over the next couple of years.

• 5 weeks later...