The Hire, the apparent Urgency is all about 2018...

In my opinion.

Our schedule in 2018 is brutal, to say the least. in fact, with our current trends, if we do not improve drastically from a talent and technique standpoint, that season can EASILY see 5 or more losses. so i think that's why Riley made the immediate firing and hiring, because if we want to compete at an acceptable level in 2018, we will need a stacked roster NOW. next year won't cut it, because our roster and incoming talent now is what we will use to compete with OSU and michigan. it will simply be too close to 2018 to do good work. as it is, the talent is good, but maybe not at the level to get a good season out of 2018 or even a really great season out of 2017.

2017:

09/02 Arkansas State Lincoln
09/09 Oregon Eugene
09/16 N. Illinois Lincoln
09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln
09/29 #Illinois Champaign
10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln
10/14 #Ohio State Lincoln
10/28 #Purdue W. Lafayette
11/04 #Northwestern Lincoln
11/11 #Minnesota Minneapolis
11/18 #Penn State State College
11/24 #Iowa Lincoln
2018:
09/01 Akron Lincoln
09/08 Colorado Lincoln
09/15 Troy Lincoln
09/22 #Michigan Ann Arbor
09/29 #Purdue Lincoln
10/06 #Wisconsin Madison
10/13 #Northwestern Evanston
10/20 #Minnesota Lincoln
11/03 #Ohio State Columbus
11/10 #Illinois Lincoln
11/17 #Michigan State Lincoln
11/23 #Iowa Iowa City

• Fire 1

At Michigan, at Wiscy, at tOSU, at Iowa......Thanks B1G.

Yes, compared to recent seasons and our apparent current abilities, 2018 is a brutal schedule.

Problem is, only 3 of those games should be concerning and yet 8 of them are extremely worrisome at the current time.

Don't think I agree that is why the coaching change was specifically made but we do need to improve and very quickly. That 2018 schedule could precipitate another coaching change if they don't show huge improvement in a lot of areas.

• Fire 1

Michigan may not be as scary in 2018. It's hard to say what the other teams will look like at that time. OSU will be very good in 2018 if they can keep some guys around, they are loaded with young talent. As for the rest of the teams I don't see a reason why we can't compete at a talent level with them come 2018.

2018:
09/01 Akron Lincoln
09/08 Colorado Lincoln
09/15 Troy Lincoln
09/29 #Purdue Lincoln
10/06 #Wisconsin Madison
10/20 #Minnesota Lincoln
11/10 #Illinois Lincoln
11/23 #Iowa Iowa City

Good lord... So much for balanced schedules.

• Fire 1

I will pretty much guarantee Riley and company weren't sitting around perfectly happy with how things were going when all of a sudden someone looks and says..."Holy crap....look at that schedule in 2018, we better go hire someone and get recruiting cranked up".

+1 ALL DAY BRB.

Let us do the worrying about the 2018 schedule.

• Fire 1

In 2018 we will have an oline, if we don't have anyone leave early and no season ending injuries, consisting of 3 guys with a lot of experience and ability, Gates/Foster/Farmer. If just a couple of OL from the last two recruiting cycles, Farniok/Gaylord/Barnett/Brokop/Decker/Raridon step up we should be a lot better there. On the Dline the Davis twins will be going into their third year. I believe we will have experience at all levels with some playmakers on both sides of the ball. You never know how it's going to play out. Maybe the BIG10 should be looking out for us in 2018.

Give the "coach on the hot seat" a rest. That is a sure way to send us into the abyss and actually become irrelevant. "oh consistency/continuity thou art a jewel". Still believe Riley will get it done. Don't go borrow trouble. We didn't get in this position over night and we will not get out of it over night.

• Fire 1

2018:
09/01 Akron Lincoln
09/08 Colorado Lincoln
09/15 Troy Lincoln
09/29 #Purdue Lincoln
10/06 #Wisconsin Madison
10/20 #Minnesota Lincoln
11/10 #Illinois Lincoln
11/23 #Iowa Iowa City

Good lord... So much for balanced schedules.

Surprised the Big10 hasn't made a one time exception and replaced Purdue with PSU.

It's a murderers row of Big Ten teams.

It's also a huge opportunity. 2018 will either be Riley's last season as our coach, or it will be what cements his legacy here.

No way his future rides on 2018. If next year is similar to this and the recruiting stays up he is here to stay.

It is curious how you draw Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan State in one season?

Because the B1G office did the cross divisional games to draw more $$$ (getting the TV contract extended at highest possible amount) instead of a rotation of teams from the other division. I understand why they did that, but then I think that the cross divisional games should not count towards your conference record (ie the winner of the B1G west should only be crowned based only on games w/in the west).