Grad Transfers

Was curious why our/more coaches don't take advantage of this. Maybe some on our staff have reached out, I guess I am not sure, but I would look at 1-2 positions of need each season and shop around. For example, I think we could use a Tight End next year since the only 3 guys that saw action were seniors. I know we tried to get Stevie from Utah last year - curious if we looked at any for next year.

This kid is even close by and I have heard nothing but great things http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3831&path=football

I know he doesn't play D1, but I would bet that he will be better than whoever plays for us next season. Engeulhaupt and Snyder could be something down the road but not a great impact for 2017. AND that is just one example - there are a lot of RS SRs who play for lesser FBS teams that I think could start for us next season. Even Alabama got a WR grad transfer from Bowling Green who caught 4 TDs this season.

Some other notable ones from 2016:

QB Davis Webb, California (from Texas Tech)

QB Kenny Hill, TCU (from Texas A&M)

QB Trevor Knight, Texas A&M (from Oklahoma)

QB Dakota Prukop, Oregon (from Montana State)

LB Hardy Nickerson, Illinois (from California)

DL Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, USC (from Utah)

• Fire 1

Generally speaking, I'd much rather get high school guys than Grad Transfers or JUCOs.

However, getting one or two guys a year to fill in a position of need seems to be a very prudent way to go. I'd prefer the JUCO route where you can have a guy for a couple years rather than one year as a Grad Transfer but either way you're (hopefully) getting a guy who can be a big contributor.

This staff doesn't seem to be much for JUCO guys. We've really only gone after one since they've been here and I'm not sure how hard we were really after him. Would have been nice to grab an OT or DE somewhere along the line.

I think the move pressing question is how many grad transfers could we push along. We need the schollies. Time to cut bait with some guys.

If a guy has completed 4 years and has his degree, and doesn't really contribute, a conversation with the coaching staff is usually had and they mutually part ways.

Note: This is different than cutting a guy his sophomore year because he doesn't contribute. SEC does it, and it is wrong. But if you've had 4 years and you got your degree, the program doesn't owe you a year of fun just cause.

I think the move pressing question is how many grad transfers could we push along. We need the schollies. Time to cut bait with some guys.

There are a couple each year. I don't think there is a huge amount of dead weight. But having an extra scholarship or two would be handy.

I would be pretty surprised if Dwayne Johnson was back for a fifth year. Other than that, it would mainly be Zach Hannon and Adam Taylor, though Taylor plays on special teams. Those are really the only three likely possibilities this year. And I don't think there are many real strong candidates for next year. Other than the guys who transferred in and had to sit out (Lee and Williams), the only other Junior-to-be who didn't really get on the field this year was Peyton Newell.

There are a couple each year. I don't think there is a huge amount of dead weight. But having an extra scholarship or two would be handy.

I would be pretty surprised if Dwayne Johnson was back for a fifth year. Other than that, it would mainly be Zach Hannon and Adam Taylor, though Taylor plays on special teams. Those are really the only three likely possibilities this year. And I don't think there are many real strong candidates for next year. Other than the guys who transferred in and had to sit out (Lee and Williams), the only other Junior-to-be who didn't really get on the field this year was Peyton Newell.

And by Adam Taylor, you mean the best running back prospect we've had since Ahman Green?

• Fire 2

You don't want to base your team off getting grad transfers but I think that trying to get 1/year wouldn't hurt. I wish this staff would go after a few more JUCOS, we've had a lot of success in the past going this route. Again, better to get a HS player, but sometimes you have to look elsewhere for immediate impact when those kids don't pan out.

Demorrio Williams

Steve Octavien

Maurice Purify

Carl Nicks

Larry Asante

Ricky Henry

Dejon Gomes

Jamarcus Hardrick

Lavonte David

Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Daimion Stafford

Zaire Anderson

Randy Gregory

Think the staff has shown that they are taking the slow steady route in almost every case. They also took over a team that needed to be shown that this staff was not going to throw them out. Adding transfers, unless they are considerably better then the projected starter, is a risk that may not be worth taking when it comes to player relations.

Think the staff has shown that they are taking the slow steady route in almost every case. They also took over a team that needed to be shown that this staff was not going to throw them out. Adding transfers, unless they are considerably better then the projected starter, is a risk that may not be worth taking when it comes to player relations.

Alabama who is the pinnacle of CFB and can get better recruits than we can takes about 3 JUCOS every year.

• Fire 1