B1G Coaching Hot Seat Rankings

Mavric

1. Mike Riley, Nebraska

At Nebraska: 15-10 (2nd season)

Career: 108-90 (in college)

See, Nebraska, this is what happens when a coach wins nine or 10 games for seven years and gets fired. That’s a crazy standard for anyone to be held to.

So Riley helps his team rebound after a bad first season, and 9-3 after 5-7 would be great just about anywhere else. Riley can’t blame the sky-high expectations entirely though. Nebraska doesn’t lose by 59 points very often. Or by 30 points to Iowa. Fans are always going to remember the embarrassing losses more than any ho-hum win against Illinois or Purdue.

The Cornhuskers need to not get embarrassed against Tennessee in the bowl game. If that happens, there’s a non-zero chance Riley doesn’t make it to next year.

Assuming that doesn’t happen, Nebraska is going to need to show improvement next year, either by beating someone better than Wyoming or not getting blown out a couple of times. And win at least nine or 10 games, obviously.

Link

From his outsider's perspective, I can completely understand where he's coming from. Most people believe that we fired Bo due to the mass mediocrity instead of the anger issues that most of us Nebraskans know was the problem. Considering Bo's record while at Nebraska, people think that if Mike Riley were to make us fall into mediocrity once again, that he will be given the same treatment. I don't necessarily agree with what this guy has written, but I definitely see where he is coming from.

• Fire 1

From his outsider's perspective, I can completely understand where he's coming from. Most people believe that we fired Bo due to the mass mediocrity instead of the anger issues that most of us Nebraskans know was the problem. Considering Bo's record while at Nebraska, people think that if Mike Riley were to make us fall into mediocrity once again, that he will be given the same treatment. I don't necessarily agree with what this guy has written, but I definitely see where he is coming from.

I don't.

Mike Riley goes 6-7 in his 1st year, to at worst, 9-4 in his 2nd year, and this guy thinks that puts him, "...on the hot seat," seriously?

This is a case of someone just trying to get people to click the link and read his fabricated drama. It's cheap bait and I bet that guy has a side gig producing reality television shows.

• Fire 1

At this point, nobody is on a 'warm' seat, let alone hot. The Indiana coach already fired. Nobody else in serious threat now and certainly not Mike Riley. The Big Ten and all its members are on the rise. SEC coaches got some explaining to do I am sure. Big 12 got issues. Maybe handful in Pac ten. But no Big Ten it would seem.

• Fire 2

Alright. Lets look at this from another perspective. Whos seat in the big ten is hotter?

As 84HuskerLaw stated, Indiana already fired Kevin Wilson, who was legit on a hot seat.

However, Purdue already hired a new coach, Illinois is still technically in their 1st year with Lovie Smith, James Franklin just won the Big 10 so he's safe at Penn State...

So yeah, no one in the Big 10 is on any even slightly warm seat, let alone hot.

I would argue that if Rutgers pulls a season next year that is similar to this year's that Chris Ash will be fired. Same actually goes for D'Antonio in my opinion. I know that they were young, and I personally think they will rebound, but Michigan State pulls a similar season I can see D'Antonio's seat warming up.

Coach that makes staff changes and plays nice with superiors and fans goes from 5-7 to 9-3 and he's on the hot seat? Lol...k

Are these not the same numbnut folks that said we shouldn't have fired Bo because 9 wins was enough and we were being greedy, but Riley getting blown out this year is reason to set his pants ablaze?

I would argue that if Rutgers pulls a season next year that is similar to this year's that Chris Ash will be fired. Same actually goes for D'Antonio in my opinion. I know that they were young, and I personally think they will rebound, but Michigan State pulls a similar season I can see D'Antonio's seat warming up.

Agree with this, however not sure that anyone in the world wants to read about how Rutgers is #1 in anything.

Coach that makes staff changes and plays nice with superiors and fans goes from 5-7 to 9-3 and he's on the hot seat? Lol...k

Are these not the same numbnut folks that said we shouldn't have fired Bo because 9 wins was enough and we were being greedy, but Riley getting blown out this year is reason to set his pants ablaze?

Going from 5 and 7 to 9 and 3 is meaningless. There was no viable excuse for 5 and 7 last year.

None. This program is still behind where they were in 2014.

• Fire 2