CFP-Who to root for

So as I look at the CFP, I am asking myself who to root for this year in terms of what indirect advantage it could have for Nebraska's recruiting efforts down the road. I always find myself rooting for teams in Nebraska's conference to win every bowl game, but this year I am struggling to want to support OSU for 2 reasons:

1. I think Urban Meyer is a complete jacka*s

2. The Big Ten is no longer dependent upon OSU to be the top football conference in the country. A few years ago when OSU won, it helped the Big Ten gets its reputation back, and I think went a long way toward how deep and talented the conference is this year. With that said, and with OSU having the highest rated class ever per 247sports, its worrisome that they could become untouchable in the BIG just as Alabama is in the SEC. In order for folks like Tyjon Linsday or Holmes to want to commit to Nebraska, OSU needs to be knocked down a notch on the recruiting front to give NU opportunities to win future recruiting battles. Now one way NU can knock OSU down in the recruiting arena is to beat them on the football field, but as we saw this year, when a team of OSU's talent level wants to play to its abilities, there is not much NU can do.

I realize this is taking a very long view of recruiting, but I think OSU winning the national championship only further deepens their recruiting advantage among BIG teams, and makes it that much harder for NU to win some of the top recruits.

Obviously I have no problem rooting for OSU but I doubt they win it this year. Either way, they are set to land a great recruiting class in 2017 and the 2018 class might be even better. Like I said in another thread, even with OSU landing great classes over the last couple years, they have only one B1G championship under Meyer. It isn't easy to win your conference and Michigan State and Wisconsin have done well without top 10 recruiting classes.

It's possible that OSU wins the NC but not likely. I think they would have to be knocked down a lot more notches to impact their recruiting. Here's my theory. Making it to the CFP shows that the coaches know what they are doing. If I'm a highly rated recruit with aspirations to play in the NFL I would would want to receive the best coaching to help in that regard. It becomes a self-perpetuating system. With all of the highly rated recruits they win a lot of games so the coaches must be good. That's not to imply that I don't think Urban is a good coach but we have first hand knowledge that not every coach on his staff is that great. For us, I really think the blowout losses puts some doubts in the minds of recruits about our coaches' ability.

The positives of a B1G school winning it all is greater than any small recruiting gains we might make vs. OSU. It is frustrating to see all of the highly rated recruits flocking to OSU though.

• 2 weeks later...