After Taylor..then what?

QB's and Runnging backs aside, we all know the boys up front need to do a much better job than last year! If they can keep Taylor better protected, then there is less of a chance we will need to worry about the back-ups (except for hopefully a lot of mop-up duty). :restore2

I have a feeling that Callahan is well aware of the quarterback dilemma for the backups. I think that he will get Beck or Ganz into the first couple of games and get them some experience and some much needed confidence.

I agree...NU needs HUGE offense in the first two games to differenciate between the contenders for backup, no matter who they are...it will probably play a role at some point in the season, even if (and hopefully) it is a minor one.

Scarlet "N" Cream I completely agree.....It takes years for QB's to completely understand the WCO....Beck will be fine...I really dont understand why everyone thinks he's going to end up a bust....I personally can't wait for him to take over the reins of the offense....But damn am I happy that we have Zac, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite Huskers of all time. Whata born leader.

:restore2

Yeah, Rock on Zac.

I guess I'd fall into the 'not sold' on Beck catagory. I know he's been in this complicated offence for only about a year and was on 17 when he arrived here. I think people forget that bout him, he is just a kid right now. And I have confeidence that he'll progress nicely. Especially if Callahan says he's on track, by all accounts, Callahan is a genious.

Wait untill you see him perform in Mop-up duty untill you call him a bust. I remember when I used to get excited when Dailey would come in after Lord, and thought he'd be a great passer and we'd all love him becuase we were so anti-Lord. We all know how that turned out.

Only time will tell.

-----Anyone else excited about Jarrett Lee? Sounds like he'd work nice...

IMHO Callahan did one of the best things he could do this spring to help our qb's by stressing the running game. With a dependable ground game (which will hopefully be the case) our qbs won't have to drop back and throw 30+ times a game. When the defense has to worry about the ground game via traps, isos, and especially draws they won't be able to blitz a LB on every play.

If we can manage to establish the running game in the first half of Nich. St. and La. Tech and any other 'lighter' games on the schedule then if/when the backups come in it will be much easier to build their confidence with some simple play action passes, which will likely be simpler and easier to complete.

If the ground game comes around we'll definately see the qbs taking less hits and putting up higher completion percentages and be less reliant on the qb to move the ball on 3rd and 3 or even 1st and 10.

Listening to Callahan a couple of days ago on the radio, he was saying how our o line was much more physical than it was last year.

Zac was dodging defenders every play it seemed last year. That and there were many dropped passes.

Hopefully the receiving crew can keep hold of the ball too.

As far as Beck. He should see some decent mop up duty this year, he will be fine next year IMO. It will be his third year in Calli s system. I think he will surprise a lot of people.

I was listening to the NFL draft the other day, and they were talking about a certain team (can't remember which one) that was going to have to get physical in the pre-season to get their ground attack back. One of the things they said the team would do was stress the run in practice and have full-pad scrimmages. The players (NFL) weren't going to be fond of that but that was what the team needed to do to get their swagger back.

Now look at the Huskers. Hundredth-something in rush offense last year? That's garbage. This year we hear of the live scrimmages, of LB's blowing up our RB's and each RB nursing injuries. The practices SOUNDED physical as hell, and since I wasn't there I can't say they were more physical than in years past. But it definitely sounds like the emphasis was restoring the ground attack, and from the improvements this staff has made so far, I'm confident that we'll have a good running attack this fall.

As far as Beck is concerned, he was coming along very nicely last year in preparation for the bowl game. I'm sure he would struggle initially if he was thrown into a game, but I think he's smart enough and talented enough to be a good, if not great QB in this system. Taylor is probably the best thing that could have happened to Beck. Taylor has taken a ton of pressure off Beck.

I think the fact that they are having live scrimmages is fantastic. The reason is obvious................if players get used to being hit early in the off-season then come the first game of the season the running backs, receivers, o-line, d-line, everyone are going to be ready to play............the practices do sound physical and IMHO I think teams that practice like this (instead of patty cake practices) play a lot harder, hit a lot harder, and are a lot tougher. Are we taking a chance of players getting hurt....yes!!! But, I think it will only benefit us in the long run!!! :thumbs Good call coaches!!! :clap:horns2:worship

Just a few things on earlier comments.....

If anything we are better off then last year with QB experience; we just now realize how valuable Taylor is. Beck and Ganz were all we had last year also, at least they have another year under their belts.

And totally true, if 95% of college teams lose their starting QB, they are in as much of trouble as NU is.