IF We Swing and Miss Badly...Why?

And Matty - I think expectations have to be more realistic in general ...."miss badly" is a bit harsh.

We have 3+early enrollees coming that are excellent prospects - more to sign. Recruiting (just like performance) has a turn about that is slower in reality than we fans want. Its incremental investments for long term return.

We have improved from last years recruiting class (imo) and we dont even know the final members.

Deep breaths.

When has an early enroll contributed as a freshman or made an significant impact?

Our 2 year starter at LB, Dedrick Young?

Strong impact is bold. I'd rather see Ferg, Barry, Newby, Weber before Young at this point. Looked pretty good initially then tanked (possibly injured).

And Matty - I think expectations have to be more realistic in general ...."miss badly" is a bit harsh.

We have 3+early enrollees coming that are excellent prospects - more to sign. Recruiting (just like performance) has a turn about that is slower in reality than we fans want. Its incremental investments for long term return.

We have improved from last years recruiting class (imo) and we dont even know the final members.

Deep breaths.

When has an early enroll contributed as a freshman or made an significant impact?

Strong impact is bold. I'd rather see Ferg, Barry, Newby, Weber before Young at this point. Looked pretty good initially then tanked (possibly injured).

Yeah he battled injuries. When he is healthy he is our best LB. Don't know anything about Ferg and Barry but they havent really stuck out on special teams and I trust Bray knows who earned playing time.

Deep breaths.

Yeah he battled injuries. When he is healthy he is our best LB. Don't know anything about Ferg and Barry but they havent really stuck out on special teams and I trust Bray knows who earned playing time.

That's a bold statement.

Deep breaths.

Also Aaron Williams started 3 games as a TFr last year and finished 14th on the team in tackles.

• Fire 1

Deep breaths.

That's a bold statement.

Yes. It is bolded. Young is asked to do more in our scheme than Bando. MRI had a disappointing year bc I was really hoping he would break out. Bando is a good run stopper but not very good in coverage. Newby is just too inconsistent. Young can play in the box and tackle at the point of attack and he is better in pass coverage than the others. As for the other guys I guess we can evaluate their High school tape but havent seen them play at all, so I would assume they are not as good/consistent as the guys we have playing.

A lot of times in late December - January recruiting you pick up a lot of new names and hope to get them. I think we will see a few of those.

We are also fans of Nebraska and tend to think we have better facilities, tradition, teams, players, coaches, etc. than we truly have. We are no longer a 'great' program. Just a good one at the moment.

Winning conference titles, 10+ regular season games, and winning those important nationally televised games are crucial. None of these we are doing

Couldn't agree more. The nationally-televised blowouts have got to stop. It is imperative. They are killing this program.

No one wants to come play for a program where they TOO will undergo this national embarrassment twice a year like clockwork during their time here. Why would you want to put yourself through that if you weren't born into the hysteria like most of us were?

The Ohio St game was the worst possible thing that could have happened to us at that point in the year. We were riding good hard-fighting momentum.

Can you imagine how different our energy and hope for the future would be right now if we lost a hard-fought game at Ohio St by, say, 7 points?

The first move is on this coaching staff. Stop the national embarrassments.

A lot of times in late December - January recruiting you pick up a lot of new names and hope to get them. I think we will see a few of those.

We are also fans of Nebraska and tend to think we have better facilities, tradition, teams, players, coaches, etc. than we truly have. We are no longer a 'great' program. Just a good one at the moment.

Winning conference titles, 10+ regular season games, and winning those important nationally televised games are crucial. None of these we are doing

Couldn't agree more. The nationally-televised blowouts have got to stop. It is imperative. They are killing this program.

No one wants to come play for a program where they TOO will undergo this national embarrassment twice a year like clockwork during their time here. Why would you want to put yourself through that if you weren't born into the hysteria like most of us were?

The Ohio St game was the worst possible thing that could have happened to us at that point in the year. We were riding good hard-fighting momentum.

Can you imagine how different our energy and hope for the future would be right now if we lost a hard-fought game at Ohio St by, say, 7 points?

The first move is on this coaching staff. Stop the national embarrassments.

That's on everyone from the HC to the water boy.

But, I'm not convinced they are the reason we may lose out on some recruits.

Again, these recruits were really interested in us after we went 6-7. If we want to discuss losing momentum for the future, there hasn't been a lower point in Husker football than the middle of last year. So....now we go 9-3 and all of a sudden we suck so bad these players don't want to come play for us?

Naaa...not buying it.

• Fire 1

Within the limits of the recruiting rules, the coaches, staff, school and everyone else, needs to NEVER STOP RECRUITING and must be relentless and dogged and whatever other adjectives one can muster to describe the mammoth effort it takes to locate, contact, pursue and ultimately reel in the best and brightest student athletes in the world (not just the USA frankly and within and without the 500 miles). I don't see any reason not to go after all the talent that is close by that would be a good fit. Ratings of recruits may not always align with those judgments of the coaches, etc which can explain some of the players named not receiving offers. But, if we are missing this many potential guys, we are NOT getting the job done right. I would assume we are aware and have tried and found no interest, or no 'fit' or otherwise. Hopefully anyway.

I think you hit many of the key points. I think first and foremost, performance on the field is a big reason why NU ends up as #2 on a recruits list rather than #1. When you play a team like OSU in a nationally televised game under the lights with a lot of visibility (it was a top-10 matchup at the time), and demonstrate complete incompetence in all aspects of the game in a 59-point loss, it does more than just add one loss to the W/L column. It sends shockwaves to any recruit looking at Nebraska and creates a gap of just how far behind NU is with the top teams in football. I would rather NU have finished the season 7-5 or 8-4 and kept all games close than end at 9-3 and have two games where the team was obliterated.

The other key point is that track record of the head coach. Riley is working his butt off to change the momentum and culture around recruiting, but his long career as a coach can also be a detriment when he has basically been mediocre any place he has gone. Recruits want to play for winners, and Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh have proven they can win with multiple programs. A recruit like Tyjon Lindsey would rather play for a team whose head coach is a Jack*ss and whose position coach is inferior to NU's WR coach because the head coach has won every place he has gone.

• Fire 2

I think you hit many of the key points. I think first and foremost, performance on the field is a big reason why NU ends up as #2 on a recruits list rather than #1. When you play a team like OSU in a nationally televised game under the lights with a lot of visibility (it was a top-10 matchup at the time), and demonstrate complete incompetence in all aspects of the game in a 59-point loss, it does more than just add one loss to the W/L column. It sends shockwaves to any recruit looking at Nebraska and creates a gap of just how far behind NU is with the top teams in football. I would rather NU have finished the season 7-5 or 8-4 and kept all games close than end at 9-3 and have two games where the team was obliterated.

The other key point is that track record of the head coach. Riley is working his butt off to change the momentum and culture around recruiting, but his long career as a coach can also be a detriment when he has basically been mediocre any place he has gone. Recruits want to play for winners, and Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh have proven they can win with multiple programs. A recruit like Tyjon Lindsey would rather play for a team whose head coach is a Jack*ss and whose position coach is inferior to NU's WR coach because the head coach has won every place he has gone.

Keith is a better WR coach we could have and he is probably the best wr coach/recruiter in the B1G.

Not to make a snarky remark, but 247 has Zach Smith as the number 1 recruiter in the country overall. Mostly in part to Urb helping him and the offense scoring lots of points on teams like us and Rutgers.

I feel like we are due to get some big recruits in this cycle and I believe is will happen. Especially at the skill positions I think we get some good talent there.

Keith is a better WR coach we could have and he is probably the best wr coach/recruiter in the B1G.

Not to make a snarky remark, but 247 has Zach Smith as the number 1 recruiter in the country overall. Mostly in part to Urb helping him and the offense scoring lots of points on teams like us and Rutgers.

I feel like we are due to get some big recruits in this cycle and I believe is will happen. Especially at the skill positions I think we get some good talent there.

Helps when 3 five-star athletes commit at your position.

I've always questioned the way recruiters are ranked. It does nothing but measure results (driven by quantity as much as quality) based on arbitrary scores assigned by the recruiting services. IMO, in very few cases can a single coach be the only, sole reason a kid commits. You can't act like the other coaches, current players, other schools, their situations, on the field results, the school itself, ETC (you see where I'm going) don't factor in.

In math terms, it's like trying to correlate a final result entirely to one variable input, when in fact there are 10+ inputs that produce your final result.

Personally, I would rather see Nebraska's coaches actively going after and pursuing hard the elite talent and missing rather than taking to Bo Pelini approach and just going after the lower 3 star kids and walk-ons.

Because, I truly believe if we give Mike Riley 6-7 years, he'll ultimately be head and shoulders better than Pelini. I believe we'll see much better recruiting and I think if Mike Riley gets to three conference championship games, he won't go 0-3.

Yeah, I don't agree that Zach Smith is the #1 WR coach in the BIG, but if he is nabbing lots of talented guys, that would make sense why he is up there on the recruiting rankings. OSU is tearing it up this year with recruiting.