Class Ranking Question

Johnson, Lenoir, and Lewis with some other late offers still push us in the top 20.

I think we go 0-3 with the guys you mentioned. Im trying to figure out how our backup plan for 2 of the top OT in the country is a 2 star with offers from only wyoming and ohio...

It's not like the two OTs we have committed now are terrible. I mean I would have loved either guy, but the in-state kid is the third OT in the class and appears like a solid project player. We just offered another four star WR, so not all our back up plans will be as lowly rated, hopefully.

Johnson, Lenoir, and Lewis with some other late offers still push us in the top 20.

I think we go 0-3 with the guys you mentioned. Im trying to figure out how our backup plan for 2 of the top OT in the country is a 2 star with offers from only wyoming and ohio...

It's not like the two OTs we have committed now are terrible. I mean I would have loved either guy, but the in-state kid is the third OT in the class and appears like a solid project player. We just offered another four star WR, so not all our back up plans will be as lowly rated, hopefully.

What is frustrating is Sarell and Filiaga were field ready prospects. The 2 we have committed are going to RS. We dont need a class of projects especially 3 OT.

I would rather save the scholarship at this point

What is frustrating is Sarell and Filiaga were field ready prospects. The 2 we have committed are going to RS. We dont need a class of projects especially 3 OT.

I would rather save the scholarship at this point

Yeah it stings, but we are in this mess because we didn't develop the depth on the line. Redshirting the previous class will help, and we have more bodies on the line for 2017 as a result, most of which were high high 3 star or 4 star guys.

I used the 247 calculator with how I think we close as of today, in my opinion. Obviously a lot can change in the next month but I looked strictly at adding 8 guys I felt were currently our best bets.

I have:

WR: Holmes, Hawkins, Robinson (TE/WR hybrid)

TE: Rafdal

DL: Daniels

DB: Curl, Johnson

OT: Walker

That would put us at 216.76, which would have been good for 33rd last year.

• Fire 1

I used the 247 calculator with how I think we close as of today, in my opinion. Obviously a lot can change in the next month but I looked strictly at adding 8 guys I felt were currently our best bets.

I have:

elite

Tl;dr apologies

The rankings can be completely wrong from time to time, for sure. For a lot of really talented kids, if the big state schools don't notice or don't offer them, then other P5 teams often don't either. Kids can also receive too high of rankings for having great size right away, happens on the OL all the damn time. A kid will be ~290+ and steamrolling other high schoolers but they may have already reached their peak athletically or framewise. Meanwhile, a 6'7" kid with incredible athleticism and a frame that can hold 315lbs will be a 2* because they are only 245lbs (as juniors often times) and the big boy programs don't want to invest multiple years waiting for them to be ready. It's how some G5 teams can hang with bigger programs, their OL have all been in the pipeline for years and are nasty.

Two of your commits perfectly encapsulate what I would look for to call underrated.

TE Austin Allen. TEs can be so hard to judge on film, you can get some idea of their blocking but highlights are never going to show all the drops (obviously!). So with a lower rated 3* like Allen, what I want to see is teams in the area offering him, as they likely have seen him in person more as well as working him out in camps and stuff. He's also skinny, which doesn't matter as I'm sure your coaches have seen him finishing plays and playing mean despite his lack of weight.

LB Willie Hampton. Similar to what I was saying about Allen, short of having a ton of P5 offers the next best thing is seeing two different staffs in the area (UCF and FAU) come to the conclusion that he's worth an offer. Yeah, Miami, FSU, and Florida didn't offer him, just one of those offers and the kid blows up and every ACC and likely some SEC teams go after him. But they also can't possibly offer all of the underrated talent in Florida, now you guys have a speedy LB with good size to come play in the B1G. This is the type of kid who helps beat the Iowas/Wisconsins/Michigan States. Who cares if he's not a 4*.

Ultimately, it's true that you need to recruit well to win. But it's important that the staff sees guys they like in person and that they land them because it only hurts missing out on the 5*s if you don't have other options in place. Relax and trust the staff to finish out the class strong.

I have:

I did a best case scenario on those rankings and I got us at 235.65 which would put us at 12 right now for 2017, 21st by 2016 rankings. I would presume it puts us around 18th-20th on signing day.

I had

WR; Lewis, Holmes, Hawkins

CB: Jonson, Lenoir

DT: Daniels

Also your rating would have put us at 27th last year.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

I have:

I did a best case scenario on those rankings and I got us at 235.65 which would put us at 12 right now for 2017, 21st by 2016 rankings. I would presume it puts us around 18th-20th on signing day.

I had

WR; Lewis, Holmes, Hawkins

CB: Jonson, Lenoir

DT: Daniels

Also your rating would have put us at 27th last year.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

You are right. I looked at the light grey 33 under Oregon's actual 27 ranking.

Clemson past 4 years recruiting rankings: 11, 9, 17, 15.

That's what we should strive. A high goal but not completely out of the question. Average around 15.

I believe this is a goal we should work towards.

I think this is the goal we are working towards. The question is if this staff has the ability to land recruits of this caliber. We swung for the fences this year and came up mostly empty so far less a handful of players. If they can close strong and salvage a top 25 class, I'd still call that progress.