Hot seat

Does it ever dawn on you guys that stupid threads like this may be a reason why we can't get recruits to commit or they decide to decommit. If you think they don't get in these boards and read stuff you are dead wrong.

You see stupid threads on every message board. If a guy is going to decommit from Nebraska because of threads like these, what school is he going to go to so he stays safe from this kind of stuff?

• Fire 1

Every year we see a hot seat for head coaches. I thought it would be interesting to do thid just for Nebraska Coaches. This yr (so far) we saw Read get the axe. Here is my list of NU Football coaches who have the hottest seat:

#1 Reggio Davis- no big rb commit so far this yr and doesn't seem like a stellar recruiter in general. Our rb's have struggled last couple years more than any other time I can remember.

#2 Brian Stewart- after one yr of being secondary coach our defensive coordinator chooses to take over the safeties. In the second year we hire a secondary coach. What does this mean for stewart?

#3 Mark Banker- we made improvement and have a better supporting staff of coaches. However, we are still having too many melt downs (iowa, Ohio state) and too many big plays allowed. I know we play bend don't break but it felt like we let an awful lot of bend sometimes and always was wondering when we were gonna let up a big play or even show up at all. Time for Banker to prove he can have a great defense.

#4 Cavanaugh- offensive line flat out got smacked this yr and not just against top quality opponents. Every team has injuries so that excuse can only be used so much. Our running game is dismal and perhaps that is because of number 1 on the list or because we have more of a passing offense. Bottom line with Gates and Foster back next year and several red shirted players with tons of potential next yr it is time to start looking like a pipeline again.

#5 John Parrella- too early to tell. This is a fan favorite who walked into a bad situation and has seemed to do well so far. Why is he #5. Our defensive line still isn't getting enough pressure. Parrella may end up being one of our best coaches. Right now it is just too early to know.

#6 Donte Williams- our newest coach and he can recruit. Unlikely he will go anywhere if he lives anywhere near up to his expectations.

#7 tie Mike Riley/Danny Langsford- Riley probably only needs 7 or 8 wins next yr and he will remain our coach(whether you are for or against him). If he goes every one else probably goes too. Langsford I feel is tied to the Riley Package. I don't see him going anywhere unless Riley gets fired regardless of how our offense performs.

#9 Keith Williams- so long as he stays away from trouble with alcohol, he is our best recruiter and an awesome coach. Any program would love to have him on their staff. Even if Riley were gone we would be lucky to keep Williams (though it would be a long shot at that time).

Thoughts?

#1 Davis seems like a good place to start.

sadly....9-3 gets you on the hot seat at Nebraska

It only does with a, I hope, small percentage of fans.

These fans think Nebraska football should be as easy to recruit to and win conference and national titles as it is on NCAA College Football video games. After all, they've been in Dynasty mode for "15 seasons" and signed the #1 recruiting class 14 of the 15 years and won 15 conference and national titles in a row. So if Nebraska can do that on a video game, why can't it be done in real life? This obviously sarcasm, but sometimes I think there are Nebraska fans who honestly think that way.

Considering that we were one healthier and more reliable quarterback away from relevance this season I wouldn't freak out quite yet.

Would love to see OL recruiting a priority, but I don't think I'm telling seasoned football coaches anything they don't already know.

The QB play is something I really expected to improve under Riely and Langsdorf. I guess Tommy cut down on the int's, but I expected greater improvement. Maybe it was the ankle, maybe you just cant teach accuracy.

I will hope a fresh start will go better with a new guy at QB.

Considering that we were one healthier and more reliable quarterback away from relevance this season I wouldn't freak out quite yet.

Would love to see OL recruiting a priority, but I don't think I'm telling seasoned football coaches anything they don't already know.

The QB play is something I really expected to improve under Riely and Langsdorf. I guess Tommy cut down on the int's, but I expected greater improvement. Maybe it was the ankle, maybe you just cant teach accuracy.

I thought that overall, Tommy's play showed significant improvement. I don't think Tommy was ever going to be an NFL quarterback though, no matter who was coaching him and I never expected him to play like one either.

I thought that overall, Tommy's play showed significant improvement. I don't think Tommy was ever going to be an NFL quarterback though, no matter who was coaching him and I never expected him to play like one either.

I assume this is one of those "look how much better he was this year than last year" type of "improvements." Because in two years we nearly led the country in interceptions one year and this year was his worst completion percentage and passer rating of his four years. So I don't even see "improvement", let alone "significant improvement."

• Fire 2

Or Langsdorf just couldn't get him to stop throwing 50-50 bombs when he got outside the pocket. Tommy also struggled with getting enough height on the ball to get it over the line. That's where a 6'5" QB has a huge advantage over a QB who is 6'.

Or Langsdorf just couldn't get him to stop throwing 50-50 bombs when he got outside the pocket. Tommy also struggled with getting enough height on the ball to get it over the line. That's where a 6'5" QB has a huge advantage over a QB who is 6'.

Hard to justify a coaches value, when he had no other reasonable options at QB and a beat up line.