Drinking

WaPo: For women, heavy drinking has been normalized. Thats dangerous.

I agree with this so much -- although I'd always thought of it as a general problem where alcohol is glorified in absurd ways, with culture absolutely feeding back to marketing and vice versa.

2300-bvDEATHPERCENT12xx.jpg?uuid=zx4R3Mh

I believe that chart is 'alcohol-related deaths for women aged 34 to 54'. Look at that timespan: 16 years.

We saw it first with tobacco, marketing it to women as their right to smoke. Then we saw lung cancer deaths surpass deaths from breast cancer, said Rear Adm. Susan Blumenthal, a former U.S. assistant surgeon general and an expert on womens health issues. Now its happening with alcohol, and its become an equal rights tragedy.

I don't really know if a sports forum is the place where this will get good reception, because that's another area where drink -- especially cheap, s***y beer from one of the two conglomerates that now produce basically all of it in the U.S. -- has been effectively marketed as inseparable from the enjoyment of fandom.

I'm not at all a teatotaler, but our fixation with alcohol is crazy, right?

WaPo: For women, heavy drinking has been normalized. Thats dangerous.

I agree with this so much -- although I'd always thought of it as a general problem where alcohol is glorified in absurd ways, with culture absolutely feeding back to marketing and vice versa.

2300-bvDEATHPERCENT12xx.jpg?uuid=zx4R3Mh

I believe that chart is 'alcohol-related deaths for women aged 34 to 54'. Look at that timespan: 16 years.

We saw it first with tobacco, marketing it to women as their right to smoke. Then we saw lung cancer deaths surpass deaths from breast cancer, said Rear Adm. Susan Blumenthal, a former U.S. assistant surgeon general and an expert on womens health issues. Now its happening with alcohol, and its become an equal rights tragedy.

I don't really know if a sports forum is the place where this will get good reception, because that's another area where drink -- especially cheap, s***y beer from one of the two conglomerates that now produce basically all of it in the U.S. -- has been effectively marketed as inseparable from the enjoyment of fandom.

I'm not at all a teatotaler, but our fixation with alcohol is crazy, right?

Our fixation with alcohol is just the tip of the iceberg. Marijuana, prescription pills, and all manner of illegal drugs are sold, and consumed almost as fast as they can be manufactured.

Most people just love to get drunk/high.