more good press

Huskers making strides under Callahan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjust font size

Athlon Sports

Published: May 1, 2006 - 5:08am

No. 25 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Nebraska posted a two-and-a-half-game improvement from Year 1 (5–6) to Year 2 (8–4) of the Bill Callahan era, and the Huskers enter 2006 having won their last three contests. Callahan’s West Coast Offense seems finally to be operating efficiently, with quarterback Zac Taylor throwing for seven touchdowns in those three games. He threw for 392 yards and two touchdowns in the regular-season finale at Colorado, and added three touchdown tosses in the Alamo Bowl win over Michigan.

Terrence Nunn and Nate Swift both return after combining for 88 catches, 1,136 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. And Matt Herian, one of the top pass-catching tight ends in the nation with 53 career receptions, is back after missing all of last season with a broken leg.

The 2005 Cornhusker defense was the best in the nation at getting to the quarterback, and team sack leader Adam Carriker is back at end. Corey McKeon posted team highs with 98 total tackles, 22 tackles for losses and three interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown, and he’s back at his linebacker post.

The 2006 Huskers travel to USC for Game 3 and will host Texas at midseason. Oklahoma is conspicuously absent from the slate.

Athlon Pick: First in Big 12 North

Uncharted territory

The 2,692 passing yards by the 2005 Cornhuskers is a new team record, and Zac Taylor’s 2,653 passing yards is a new individual season mark.

SRO

Nebraska is enjoying an NCAA record 275 consecutive sellouts at Memorial Stadium.

Sackshirts

Nebraska’s famed Blackshirt defense led the nation last fall with 50 sacks.

Returning starters

8 offense, 7 defense, placekicker

2006 Schedule

S. 2 Louisiana Tech

S. 9 Nicholls State

S. 16 at USC

S. 23 Troy

S. 30 Kansas

O. 7 at Iowa State

O. 14 at Kansas State

O. 21 Texas

O. 28 at Oklahoma State

N. 4 Missouri

N. 11 at Texas A&M

N. 24 Colorado

2005 Results (8-4, 4-4)

S. 3 Maine W 25– 7

S. 10 Wake Forest W 31– 3

S. 17 Pittsburgh W 7– 6

O. 1 Iowa State W 27–20

O. 8 Texas Tech L 31–34

O. 15 at Baylor W 23–14

O. 22 at Missouri L 24–41

O. 29 Oklahoma L 24–31

N. 5 at Kansas L 15–40

N. 12 Kansas State W 27–25

N. 25 at Colorado W 30– 3

D. 28 #Michigan W 32–28

#Alamo Bowl

athlon and street and smith are usually the best... glad to see they have them in there 2

Totally agree. Athlon and Street and Smith are generally pretty accurate and fair. I think picking NU to win the B12 North is kind of a no-brainer this year. You pick the hottest team from last year with the best chance of continuing that success with the returning players. In that case....it's NU all the way b -a - b- y!

Hard to believe from what they're writing that we still barely make their Top 25.

True...but, I'd rather have the team ranked lower than higher at this point. Don't want players to get over-confident or complacent.

Hard to believe from what they're writing that we still barely make their Top 25.

True...but, I'd rather have the team ranked lower than higher at this point. Don't want players to get over-confident or complacent.

Oh, I definately agree, I'm just wondering if they're this high on us how high they must be on the 24 teams they ranked above us.

Maybe this year our blackshirts can get over 50 sacks...........I agree that if they are talking this highly about us why are we ranked 25th??? :wtf But, I also agree that if we were ranked higher that it could cause the players to get a little cocky........I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!!!! :zoom