Trump Taking Credit Where None Is Due

So, the idiot cuts down over 400 trees which angers conservationists and then puts up a plaque saying he "preserved" the site.

Even if what is said on the plaque is true, how exactly did he personally "preserve" the site?

So, the idiot cuts down over 400 trees which angers conservationists and then puts up a plaque saying he "preserved" the site.

Even if what is said on the plaque is true, how exactly did he personally "preserve" the site?

He didn't dam it. That's all I got.

In a phone interview, Mr. Trump called himself a “a big history fan” but deflected, played down and then simply disputed the local historians’ assertions of historical fact.

“That was a prime site for river crossings,” Mr. Trump said. “So, if people are crossing the river, and you happen to be in a civil war, I would say that people were shot — a lot of them.”

Wow. This is from that Times article.

The only thing historians can speculate Trump might be referring to is a rout of Union soldiers 11 miles uphill.

But no one died in that crossing, historians said, or in any other notable Civil War engagement on the spot.

“How would they know that?” Mr. Trump asked when told that local historians had called his plaque a fiction. “Were they there?”

And the best part:

Mr. Trump repeatedly said that “numerous historians” had told him that the golf club site was known as the River of Blood. But he said he did not remember their names.

I disagree with naming anonymous sources in journalism. But this is an academic matter. If those historians would please come forth...

But they don't exist.

In a phone interview, Mr. Trump called himself a “a big history fan” but deflected, played down and then simply disputed the local historians’ assertions of historical fact.

“That was a prime site for river crossings,” Mr. Trump said. “So, if people are crossing the river, and you happen to be in a civil war, I would say that people were shot — a lot of them.”

Wow. This is from that Times article.

The only thing historians can speculate Trump might be referring to is a rout of Union soldiers 11 miles uphill.

So...in that quote, he admitted he totally pulled it out of his ass.

The ONLY reason this flag pole and plaque was put up was that he was trying to fabricate a historical site that people would want to see. To see it, they would need to play golf on his course.

Yeah, it reminds me of that excerpt from one of his books (cited in Vox's "Bullshitter-in-Chief" article) in which he asks if anyone's ever heard of a pizza chain claiming to have the world's 3rd-best pizza.

Clearly it's how he sees this: who cares if it's true. It's his golf course and if it makes it look good/important, good for him. Frankly I think his supporters and apologists see it the same way.