Scout files for bankruptcy

Ran across this the other day...

Digital sports network Scout Media Inc. filed for chapter 11 protection with plans to sell what remains of the business at an auction next month.

The sports media company Friday asked a bankruptcy judge for immediate access to a $6.2 million lifeline from Multiplier Capital LP. Without the new financing, lawyers for the company said in court papers that it would be forced to cease its operations.

According to court papers filed Friday with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan, a “perfect storm of an unsustainable balance sheet” as well as financial pressures caused by the abrupt departure of the company’s chief executive left the ailing business with no choice but to try to place its assets in the hands of a new owner as quickly as possible.

Scout Media has been exploring the possibility of a sale since September, court papers show, but no formal offers have materialized. With the help of a consultant, the company contacted 154 potential buyers, of which 20 have expressed interest but haven’t put forward bids.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/scout-media-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy-1481321780

• Fire 1

If Hudl were smart, they'd open their own recruiting service, I feel.

I disagree. That would cost a lot more to have people all over the country to do the analysis and scouting.

Their product mix is a great tool for those people to use, but it would be a totally different type of company to go into the actual recruiting.

They could just buy into rivals...

I disagree. That would cost a lot more to have people all over the country to do the analysis and scouting.

Their product mix is a great tool for those people to use, but it would be a totally different type of company to go into the actual recruiting.

It just wouldn't make sense with their business model. HUDL is a software company. I don't see how recruiting services fits into that model.

It just wouldn't make sense with their business model. HUDL is a software company. I don't see how recruiting services fits into that model.

I mean they have every ounce of high school film in America...

Yes, you are correct in that they have the video of the players, but to go into the scouting side of recruiting is something that would be totally foreign to them.

From what I understand of HUDL, they are growing at a rapid pace in their core business. While they are doing well, that growth has some significant challenges. Why would they want to go into a totally other business while they are trying to grow and develop their core business of sports video.

Yes, you are correct in that they have the video of the players, but to go into the scouting side of recruiting is something that would be totally foreign to them.

From what I understand of HUDL, they are growing at a rapid pace in their core business. While they are doing well, that growth has some significant challenges. Why would they want to go into a totally other business while they are trying to grow and develop their core business of sports video.

Fair point.

Regardless, Scout sucks, good riddance.