Eichorst Statement About Football Program

Mavric

Q: You're more visible now around the football program. You're on the sideline. You're at practice. That wasn't necessarily the case when Pelini was the head coach. Why the change in your approach?

Eichorst: "I don't know if there was a change in approach. I love the game of football, as you know. We've gone into depth on that. When you transition into incredible positions like at Nebraska, there's a lot of looking, listening and learning to do. I would attribute it more to having a lot of things to do, a lot of people to get to know, more than anything. I now think I know the place a little better than when I first came in, know the people better. That allows me a little more flexibility to get around and to be available."

uh.....

Moral of that statement from Eichorst is Pelini wasn't wrong in his going away address to the team about never seeing the AD that year. Could have chose different words, but not wrong. Pretty genius move by Eichorst...sit back and alienate a ticking time bomb.

In the end we've got Riley and the program will be on the rise soon or at the very least a functioning work environment.

What the hell do you guys expect to hear from the athletic director of a top 10 college program? What could he say that would make you like him? I don't think many of you really appreciate the nuance and the strategy that has to go into communicating from such a high profile position. Imagine if every single thing you said publicly was picked apart by thousands.

He's in a completely untenable position. When he came here, he was quoted as saying his idea of success as the AD here would be if nobody knew his name - he wants to stay out of the way of his coaches and let them do their work, continue to support them behind the scenes, being hands off until he's unable to any longer. In certain respects, our fanbase forced his hand on this, and now that he isn't so invisible, the fanbase criticizes the change.

As far as Bo (who we pretty much universally refer to as having a bunker mentality as a coach) is concerned, which situation do you think is more likely? That Eichorst was just an a-hole hiding from the big mean guy until he could stab him in the back, or that Eichorst prefers to be hands off and let coaches come to him with things they need, which Bo perceived through his paranoia to be a chickensh#t pu&&y move? My guess is that Eichorst's door was open for Bo all along, but that since he wasn't actively trying to seek Bo out, Pelini took that as an offense.

• Fire 6

As far as Bo (who we pretty much universally refer to as having a bunker mentality as a coach) is concerned, which situation do you think is more likely? That Eichorst was just an a-hole hiding from the big mean guy until he could stab him in the back, or that Eichorst prefers to be hands off and let coaches come to him with things they need, which Bo perceived through his paranoia to be a chickensh#t pu&&y move? My guess is that Eichorst's door was open for Bo all along, but that since he wasn't actively trying to seek Bo out, Pelini took that as an offense.

I mean, I'm not here to defend Bo. But Eichorst just said the exact opposite. So....

• Fire 1

You'll have to let me know what you're referring to Mav, since the only bits I can find that would relate do not at all seem to be the exact opposite to me:

"Mike's in total charge of the football program and his coaches. We talk almost every day. We have a standing meeting every week, and we have great respect for one another. So, when I have something on my mind, whether it's related to football or life in general, I'll ask him what he thinks and most often he'll ask me what I think. But ultimately, those (firings) are Coach Riley's decisions to make, and I'm here to support him. He's an exceptional leader. He's got a lot of experience, and he handles things with such professionalism and such thought."

Q: So, it would be inaccurate to say you recommended the firing of Bruce Read?

Eichorst: "That's not my role."

Eichorst: "Mike aggressively pursued Donté, did all of his due diligence. Generally, when (Riley) gets all of that stuff done, he'll run what he's thinking by me. And I'll ask him, 'What are the things you're looking for? Does this person meet those things you're looking for? And how can I help?' The things I heard about Donté, and the excitement in Mike's eyes and his voice, it was easy to support that decision.

I mean, I'm not here to defend Bo. But Eichorst just said the exact opposite. So....

He also is saying and doing the exact opposite when he says he doesn't comment during a season. But chalk that up to being more comfortable now as well.

Bo should have been fired, the comments are just funny when paired to comments previously stated during the last coach's tenure. It's a 180 degree shift and there's no argument to say they aren't.

Bo should have been fired, the comments are just funny when paired to comments previously stated during the last coach's tenure. It's a 180 degree shift and there's no argument to say they aren't.

So what? An AD doesn't have the luxury of being able to speak off the cuff. Even before Bo was fired, all Eichorst ever said publicly was in support. You are not allowed to just have open criticism if you're in that position - imagine the online meltdown if Eichorst came out and said, "Yeah, I think we've got enough talent but obviously there's something lacking in the coaching - getting beatdown by Ohio State and Iowa like that was absolutely humiliating and totally unacceptable. Doesn't it suck that we're nowhere further along than when we got rid of Bo? The mediocrity is frustrating."

No matter who it is, you support your team until they aren't your team anymore. Even if that means hypocrisy in reference to the way you supported your team of different people in the past.

• Fire 1

You'll have to let me know what you're referring to Mav, since the only bits I can find that would relate do not at all seem to be the exact opposite to me:

Q: You're more visible now around the football program. You're on the sideline. You're at practice. That wasn't necessarily the case when Pelini was the head coach. Why the change in your approach?

Eichorst: "I don't know if there was a change in approach. I love the game of football, as you know. We've gone into depth on that. When you transition into incredible positions like at Nebraska, there's a lot of looking, listening and learning to do. I would attribute it more to having a lot of things to do, a lot of people to get to know, more than anything. I now think I know the place a little better than when I first came in, know the people better. That allows me a little more flexibility to get around and to be available."

LJS

By the way, I generally agree with the rest of your previous post. He always has to be careful with what he says so there's not a good way to answer some of the questions.

But it was just two years ago that he explicitly said "we have the talent to win championships" and basically dismissed beating Iowa as not mattering. Now the story is we need a significant talent upgrade. If you're going to make such strong statements previously, it's a pretty bad look to change your tune so quickly. He would have been better served to tone it down earlier unless he was really sure about what he was saying.

• Fire 2

So what? An AD doesn't have the luxury of being able to speak off the cuff. Even before Bo was fired, all Eichorst ever said publicly was in support. You are not allowed to just have open criticism if you're in that position - imagine the online meltdown if Eichorst came out and said, "Yeah, I think we've got enough talent but obviously there's something lacking in the coaching - getting beatdown by Ohio State and Iowa like that was absolutely humiliating and totally unacceptable. Doesn't it suck that we're nowhere further along than when we got rid of Bo? The mediocrity is frustrating."

No matter who it is, you support your team until they aren't your team anymore. Even if that means hypocrisy in reference to the way you supported your team of different people in the past.

Everything is done for a reason at that level. I want to be anonymous and not comment in season when you are in the midst of getting rid of someone that you know is a bad fit. I'm a cheerleader for my guy that i just hired and went 5-7 in the regular season and people are questioning my decision. Hypocrisy is the name of the game, just humorous when it's called out by a reporter.

• Fire 1