Recruiting grades

I'm curious how others would grade NU's recruiting from season to season. Under Pelini our average class rankings across all services was around 25 to 27. Riley was brought in to dramatically improve our recruiting, and I think we can all agree that is needed after bad losses in 2016. Here is how I would grade our recruiting when averaging the team ranking across major services (like Rivals, Scout, 247, and ESPN) if we really want to get back to being competitive on a national level.

Ranked 1 to 10: A+

Ranked 11-14: A

Ranked 15-16: A-

Ranked 17-18: B+

Ranked 19-21: B

Ranked 22-23: B-

Ranked 24-26: C+

Ranked 27-28: C

Ranked 29-30: C-

Ranked 31-35: D

Ranked 35 or below: F

• Fire 1

This is all good and fine, but can we agree that rating a recruiting class is an intangible measurement for future success? Lots of 2 stars that outperform their high school performance with collegiate coaching and support, and lots of 4 and 5 stars that wash out and can't deliver or outdo their high school prime (or get injured or transfer etc).

It's interesting for sure, but I don't put a lot of weight into these numbers at all.

This is all good and fine, but can we agree that rating a recruiting class is an intangible measurement for future success? Lots of 2 stars that outperform their high school performance with collegiate coaching and support, and lots of 4 and 5 stars that wash out and can't deliver or outdo their high school prime (or get injured or transfer etc).

It's interesting for sure, but I don't put a lot of weight into these numbers at all.

I completely agree that there are some 2-star players that are superstars, and some 4-star guys that end up a bust, but on a whole, the team recruiting rankings have been pretty reflective of a team's year end rankings and competitiveness. I am a data guy and have analyzed the recruiting rankings from the CFP teams the past couple of seasons and compared that with their average recruiting rankings the prior 4 years, and in most cases, teams that averaged in the top 15 in recruiting on a consistent basis were also the same teams that were completing for the CFP. Washington this year and MSU last year would be the exceptions to that with them having an average in the mid to high 20s. Alabama has been the #1 team for the past 4 or 5 seasons in recruiting which is directly correlating to how they are performing each season. Clemson, Oklahoma, and Florida State also consistently finish in the top 10 or 12 and you often find these teams ending their seasons in the top 10.

Now recruiting tells half the story...what coaches do with that talent and how they develop the players is the other half of the story. Riley was brought in as someone that could both recruit better than the prior staff, AND get 4-star play out of 2-star talent. We have seen a slight improvement on the recruiting front, but not enough to be competitive nationally. I have expectations for NU to finish in the top 15 this year in recruiting, and continue to finish near there moving forward.

Thanks Bni - I'd love to see a recruiting class rank as they come in and then see their rank/value their Sr year. That would be interesting huh? Would show the coaching and development aspect.

It would show coaching/development about as well as it would show errors in rankings. Moot point.

• 1 month later...

B+

- OL and DL needs addressed. Keeping Guy Thomas was huge. Another DE would've been ideal.

- Great QB prospect brought in.

- RB could've used another true runner. But Miles and Bradley are both super underrated.

- WR and TE had good pickups. If another WR or two were added it would've made this class an all timer.

- Blades is a stud and was an amazing job done by Coach Donte

- Avery Roberts and Drew Ward are a good tandem at LB.

- The wildcard is Walker. Really like him as an athlete. Think he'll eventually move to a DE position and be pretty good.

I would give this current class ranking a solid B. We are 18th in Scout, 19th per Rivals, and 23rd per 247Sports, so about an average of 20 or so. It could have been better, but NU still seems to struggle to land the big fish.

Tyjon and Blades? Both top 10 in their position by some services. Those are not big fish you are right. They are huge fish.

I would give this current class ranking a solid B. We are 18th in Scout, 19th per Rivals, and 23rd per 247Sports, so about an average of 20 or so. It could have been better, but NU still seems to struggle to land the big fish.

Tyjon and Blades? Both top 10 in their position by some services. Those are not big fish you are right. They are huge fish.

Tyjon and Blades are two of the best recruits we've gotten in a while, no doubt. But we need to get to the point where we are landing more guys like this. They should be closer to the rule, not the exception.

Kind of torn on this class. Part of me thinks it's an improvement and we're moving in the right direction, part of me thinks we're not moving there fast enough. I'd go with a solid B, B+.

Tyjon and Blades are two of the best recruits we've gotten in a while, no doubt. But we need to get to the point where we are landing more guys like this. They should be closer to the rule, not the exception.

Kind of torn on this class. Part of me thinks an improvement and we're moving in the right direction, part of me thinks we're not moving there fast enough. I'd go with a solid B, B+.

Find a way to win the West and he'll get the time since it does seem to be slow and steady.

B+ for me