Proven Winners

When I look at the 4 teams in the CFP today, three of the four have something that Riley simply does not have. They have proven their ability to win nearly their entire career, and at multiple schools (Saban, Meyer, and Petersen). There is something to be said for a head coach that knows how to win anywhere he goes, and there is something equally to be said for a coach that has proven to be middle of the road everywhere he has been. Washington has made it to the CPF despite having a worse recruiting average over the past four years than NU has, where NU has an average of about 25 and Washington is closer to 30 per Rivals. Yet Petersen is getting the most out of his players and has them playing extremely well. Even if they would get blown out against Bama, they still have proven something significant this season.

• Fire 2

When I look at the 4 teams in the CFP today, three of the four have something that Riley simply does not have. They have proven their ability to win nearly their entire career, and at multiple schools (Saban, Meyer, and Petersen). There is something to be said for a head coach that knows how to win anywhere he goes, and there is something equally to be said for a coach that has proven to be middle of the road everywhere he has been. Washington has made it to the CPF despite having a worse recruiting average over the past four years than NU has, where NU has an average of about 25 and Washington is closer to 30 per Rivals. Yet Petersen is getting the most out of his players and has them playing extremely well. Even if they would get blown out against Bama, they still have proven something significant this season.

Washington gets blown out and they prove what? That the PAC12 was at it's all time low and still got a spot in playoffs?

Oregon, UCLA were both extremely poor this year. USC had a major rough patch. Washington State showed their ability level the other night against MINNESOTA. Stanford struggled for parts of their season. The PAC12 was bad. For Washington to "prove" something, they need to at least cover the spread. Otherwise it means diddly squat to me.

• Fire 2

They're also pretty much the only 4 in the entire country that have done that, and none of them are ever coming here.

Well I know many on here (myself included) were calling for NU to go after Petersen after the 2013 and 2014 seasons had ended, and I do think we could have landed him if we offered enough money. I agree that Saban and Meyer would not come here.

Petersen would've been a good get.

If he had come here and gone 8-6 and 7-6 in years 1 and 2 as he did at Washington, the wistfulness for Pelini would have been unbearable.

I think year 3 is really when a new head coach must prove their worth, and that is next season for Riley. If we end up finishing 3rd in our division again and look completely lost against tough competition, it may be time for him to go. If he can have a season like Petersen has had this year, then all the complaining should go away...well, at least for next season. :)

They're also pretty much the only 4 in the entire country that have done that, and none of them are ever coming here.

Well I know many on here (myself included) were calling for NU to go after Petersen after the 2013 and 2014 seasons had ended, and I do think we could have landed him if we offered enough money.

You're wrong.

Well I know many on here (myself included) were calling for NU to go after Petersen after the 2013 and 2014 seasons had ended, and I do think we could have landed him if we offered enough money.

You're wrong.

Money talks. Always has and always will. You offer Saban 8-9 million a year, he would come to NU. A chance to turn around a program. Get a MNC at yet another school.... The simple fact he shows we get a top 10 class.

Same with Petersen, Herman, Fleck, Calhoun, insert coach here........... Pay enough and guys would leave. Hell, I'd throw 7 million to Dabo and see what would happen....

• Fire 1

Mack Brown spoke with Washington's OC before the game. The OC said they needed to play a NFL type game by rushing up the middle to keep Alabama's defense honest. I laughed knowing fans here on HB would scoff at such a notion, Of course, Washington's OC is ex-Beaver QB Jonathan Smith. Smith played for both Riley and Erickson.

Our coaches are veterans and know what they're doing despite the whining from those who have never put on a jock strap.

• Fire 3

Mack Brown spoke with Washington's OC before the game. The OC said they needed to play a NFL type game by rushing up the middle to keep Alabama's defense honest. I laughed knowing fans here on HB would scoff at such a notion, Of course, Washington's OC is ex-Beaver QB Jonathan Smith. Smith played for both Riley and Erickson.

Our coaches are veterans and know what they're doing despite the whining from those who have never put on a jock strap.

And Washington is averaging less than three yards per carry, getting blown out and has only one score in the game which came on a drive that was largely passing.

So just because an OC says something doesn't mean he's right. It's great to WANT to be able to just run it up the middle every time. Actually being able to do it is something different altogether.

• Fire 1

You're wrong.

Money talks. Always has and always will. You offer Saban 8-9 million a year, he would come to NU. A chance to turn around a program. Get a MNC at yet another school.... The simple fact he shows we get a top 10 class.

Same with Petersen, Herman, Fleck, Calhoun, insert coach here........... Pay enough and guys would leave. Hell, I'd throw 7 million to Dabo and see what would happen....

I agree Lo...this is the nonsense I put up with in other forums on here from this poster.

You're wrong.

I agree Lo...this is the nonsense I put up with in other forums on here from this poster.

Rumor was that Texas offered Saban a $100million contract and he declined...