Bourbon, Whisky and Scotch

I've been a big fan of bourbon for a long time.  The Jim Beam fire brought up a question I've pondered.  How much whisky do these companies have to have in warehouses at one time to satisfy the market.  It's mind boggling.

So, I found it.

LINK

Jim Beam is aged 4 years.  

This one warehouse had 45,000 barrels

Each barrel has 150-200 750s in it.

Hold on now.....they have 126 warehouses in Kentucky housing 3,3000,000 barrels...or at least 495,000,000 750s.

Wow.......

• 3 months later...

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I just can't drink stuff straight...unless you are just talking about doing a shot but I just can't sip.

There's such a huge difference in quality when it comes to whiskey.  Even between a $35 bottle and a $65 bottle.  

13 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is just the burn, It just gets me.

There's a lot of scotches that have that burn and I don't care for them either.  I can stand a little burn, but definitely prefer smooth.  And smooth is what you generally get when you buy a pricier bourbon.  My next bottle will be Eagle Rare.  Heard great things and then got a taste the other day.  Very good.  An easy "starter" scotch is Glenmorangie 10 Year Original.  It's on the cheaper side and super simple.  It's what I keep on hand for friends who might not be accustomed to scotch yet.  Very easy to drink.  

• 2 months later...