Bourbon, Whisky and Scotch

On 12/16/2020 at 9:51 AM, Redux said:

It's excellent, you won't be disappointed.

Tried to find some Bulleit 10 year at 3 places today but no go. Guy at the last place said they’ve been trying to get it but haven’t been able to since early summer. So, since I needed one for a gift (and 1 for me) picked up 2 bottles of Henry McKenna Single Barrel bottled-in-bond 10 year Bourbon. They assured me I wouldn’t be disappointed. Has anyone tried it?

48 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Tried to find some Bulleit 10 year at 3 places today but no go. Guy at the last place said they’ve been trying to get it but haven’t been able to since early summer. So, since I needed one for a gift (and 1 for me) picked up 2 bottles of Henry McKenna Single Barrel bottled-in-bond 10 year Bourbon. They assured me I wouldn’t be disappointed. Has anyone tried it?

Henry Mckenna solid sipping bourbon, my only challenge is its a bit tricky to track down where I live.

Highly recommend Belle Meade out of Nashville.  Discovered this from a buddy probably 6+ years ago and starting to see this become more main stream and widely available.  Nice little kick but smooth as hell for sipping purposes... I'd argue on the level of $60-$75 bottles- I constantly find this anywhere from mid 30s-$40ish.

image.png.e6168a4b736e53ac1452898935313171.png

• Plus1 1

On 7/30/2017 at 3:39 PM, Redux said:

http://cdn2.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/p-2813/laphroaig-10-year-old-whisky.jpg?ss=2.0

Avoid this at all costs, unless you like the taste of hot garbage that has been burnt three times over. The taste is bad, the after taste is worse and keeps getting worse.

Funny you should mention this.  I had rotator cuff surgery on November 25th.  Having been down the recovery road from other surgeries I knew some beverages would help with sleeping.  As my freezer/refrigerator was stuffed full of food I had to get something that didn't require ice or chilling. So I picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 remembering it wasn't too bad.  Which it is ok.  Mellow for Scotch but in the end sort of meh.

After finishing that bottle and reading up more on Scotch,  I figured my palate could handle the more peaty, racy Scotches.  So I had delivered a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and an Ardbeg 10.  I tried both straight and holy f#&% I thought I had wasted $120.  The taste of Band-Aids was more noticeable than anything else.

Of course not wanting to throw it away I did some more reading and by adding about five drops of water to a finger or two everything changed.  I'm now a 100% in the peaty Islay camp of Scotches.  They definitely grow on you.   It's amazing what a few drops of water will do to the drinkability.  The key for me is to just take the smallest of sips and let it roll around in the mouth.  Anything more than that is kind of rough.

But yeah, definitely an acquired taste.  I sort of found out by accident as I don't drink on a regular basis but I can see now why so many, more experienced whiskey drinkers migrate to the peaty Scotches.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I tried water, ice, soda and even giving it away.  Nothing saved it for me.  I've gotten more used to peat, but I still prefer a pure flavor profile not overshadowed by liquid smoke.

Yeah I could see that.  Honestly I was surprised it grew on me after the first try.  

You'll definitely want to stay away from the Ardbeg 10 then as it's even more peaty than the Laphroaig.

Right there with you guys on the Henry McKenna and Colonel EH Taylor.  Two of my favorites, though a lot of places overcharge for them.  I wait to find them in the $45 range and grab 2 or 3.  I also have a bottle of the Belle Meade.  Wasn't overly impressed with it, but I'll give it another shot.  I gifted a few bourbons to friends this Christmas, one being Woodford Reserve.  I hadn't had it in a while and we cracked it open.  Very good.  Another recent one that I keep trying to like is Noah's Mill.  Reviews are great, but just not for me I guess.  

23 hours ago, Redux said:

Got to do a head to head taste test of Wellers Special Reserve (my bottle) and Wellers Antique 107 (not minr) the other night.

And?  I'd assume 107 would take it, but I'm more wrong than right on these.  I think it's hilarious that Weller insists on the screw tops instead of corks.  So weird. 

On 12/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, Redux said:

I tried water, ice, soda and even giving it away.  Nothing saved it for me.  I've gotten more used to peat, but I still prefer a pure flavor profile not overshadowed by liquid smoke.

My brother and I aren't huge Scotch guys, but we got into my dads stash on Christmas one year and found the Johnnie Double Black, we both fell in love. Now whenever we're together we try to find the smokiest stuff we can get our hands on. Different strokes for different folks!

• Plus1 1