2017 starting QB

2017 Quarterback  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tanner Lee.

I really really don't want another freshman starting QB.

Then if he isn't fantastic, for the next three years you have people saying, yeah....but he's the starter because of experience.

We need to get to a point where we have 3-4 good QBs in the system learning and developing knowing they have a real shot at starting their junior and senior years.

The bold needs to be true at 80% of the positions - however that doesn't happen overnight

But let's be honest here. If Lee starts POB will jump ship. He already wasn't happy when he found out Lee was joining the team. Kids went from being the studs in high school to expecting the same in college. They want to come in and start, with possibly accepting a redshirt freshman year. They don't want to play their Jr and Sr years only. I'm afraid if we try to squeeze a couple years out of Lee whom statistically is similar to Tommy, then the others leave the program and we are back to square one. Scary thought....

Tanner Lee.

I really really don't want another freshman starting QB.

Then if he isn't fantastic, for the next three years you have people saying, yeah....but he's the starter because of experience.

We need to get to a point where we have 3-4 good QBs in the system learning and developing knowing they have a real shot at starting their junior and senior years.

The bold needs to be true at 80% of the positions - however that doesn't happen overnight

But let's be honest here. If Lee starts POB will jump ship. He already wasn't happy when he found out Lee was joining the team. Kids went from being the studs in high school to expecting the same in college. They want to come in and start, with possibly accepting a redshirt freshman year. They don't want to play their Jr and Sr years only. I'm afraid if we try to squeeze a couple years out of Lee whom statistically is similar to Tommy, then the others leave the program and we are back to square one. Scary thought....

I'd be surprised if Lee, POB and Gebbia are all on the team at the start of the 2018 season. I could easily see POB leaving if Lee is able to grab the starting job and hold it the next two seasons because Gebbia would only lose out on two seasons - his redshirt and redshirt freshman year.

As for the bolded, I implore everybody here to read post #11 if they haven't already. Viewing Lee's stats in a vacuum and comparing them to TA (or any other quarterback) is unfair to Lee.

real simple, if POB has not learned the system and is not the stud he was portrayed to be, then if Lee beats him out, so be it.

If Lee is the starter then we can't judge talent or can't develop it........the latter is my guess.

And we continue to be afraid to start a freshman or burn a shirt, which gives no one a chance to develop.

Rinse and repeat, MOTS!

real simple, if POB has not learned the system and is not the stud he was portrayed to be, then if Lee beats him out, so be it.

If Lee is the starter then we can't judge talent or can't develop it........the latter is my guess.

And we continue to be afraid to start a freshman or burn a shirt, which gives no one a chance to develop.

Rinse and repeat, MOTS!

So, like I said, if you're not a stud in your true freshman year, then you suck.

And, what part of "not starting a freshman" am I missing. We just went through 8 years of QBs that all started as freshmen.

I personally have absolutely ZERO desire to have true freshmen come in and start at QB.

Rinse and repeat, MOTS!

How does not starting a freshman or refusing to burn a redshirt not give someone a chance to develop? Redshirting guys is all about giving them time to work in the weight room, watch film, work with coaches, study the playbook, etc etc etc.

If Lee is the starter then we can't judge talent or can't develop it......the latter is my guess.

Rinse and repeat, MOTS!

After all, they did evaluate his talent before asking him to transfer. Ohh, I forgot. He sucked at Tulane, so he couldn't possibly be better at Nebraska. That would mean he's been developed. If only he were a freshman, then it would actually count.

I can't speak to where Lee was when he joined the program or when he was with Tulane. I can speak to where he is now and how he looks in practice. He's either a) developed immensely or b) a product of the staff's talent evaluation.

That doesn't mean POB isn't talented or the staff isn't developing him. It just means Lee has already had time to adjust to the college game, so he was already ahead of POB from the start.

• Fire 1

I just have visions of Sam Keller with Lee.

I would be just fine with that. Sam Keller was a pretty good quarterback for us.

Checkdown Charlie and a bunch of garbage time stats.

...who was on pace to break a bunch of Zac Taylor's record-breaking season numbers.