How much integrity are you willing to trade for success?

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's an interesting thought experiment - if today's landscape of college football makes it essentially impossible to do things "the right way" (however you view that, I guess, but maybe more importantly for discussion the way it's determined by Nebraska's athletic department's mission statement - INTEGRITY - TRUST - RESPECT - TEAMWORK - LOYALTY), which do you want to sacrifice?

That's a little bit too dichotomous of a question, though, so I've tried to phrase the poll in a way that provides a little more nuance. When given the choice between extremes, most would pick "the right way" over success, as, I think, we should. However, every season it's the same story - harsh criticism, complaining, frustration and bitterness that we aren't like programs X & Y - even though in any other conversation where we aren't measuring ourselves to them, we like to talk about how programs X & Y are dirty, cheaters, scumbags, lacking integrity, etc.

Well, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too, folks, so what's the priority and to what degree are you comfortable sacrificing for on-the-field success?

• Fire 1

No. Character, integrity are important and something that has and should continue to set Nebraska apart. I'm proud of our championships, but not so much with the headlines we had then (Phillips, Peters, Baldwin etc).

I'd rather have a season like this (without the Gerry bs) and be admired for a team that was a competitor, had good sportsmanship and was one to be admired by fans, opponents, kids and adults alike.

• Fire 1

The hypothetical question I have a long these lines is if Art Briles is "cleared" in someway from the scandals at Baylor, should we pick him up. I know a lot of you will think I'm crazy and whatnot, but I think he knows how to make a program succeed. Baylor was a laughing stock when he came in, and he turned them into a contender (and Waco/Baylor isn't the easiest place to recruit), with a Heisman winner and significant wins.

Those are the kind of articles we don't need. Unfortunately those things did happen but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to do better or that we shouldn't strive for the "Nebraska Way".

I would just like to understand what all of you mean when you say the "Nebraska way". Before Osborne recruited speed nationally, Nebraska won 9 games a year in a pathetic conference.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=18416

The mission of the University of Nebraska Athletic Department is to serve our student-athletes, coaches, staff and fans by:.

Displaying INTEGRITY in every decision and action

Building and maintaining TRUST with others

Giving RESPECT to each person we encounter

Pursuing unity of purpose through TEAMWORK

Maintaining LOYALTY to student-athletes, co-workers, fans and the University of Nebraska

INTEGRITY - TRUST - RESPECT - TEAMWORK - LOYALTY

These are our core values. We will exhibit them as we pursue excellence in all that we do.

Okay, but that didn't cover the fact that we were a mediocre team until we started to recruit players who did not fit that mold. Osborne did not follow these beliefs with many of the things he did. And I grew up with all of the teams in the 70s and 80s and although we usually finished high in the polls, we could not compete nationally until we got away from this "Nebraska way". That's just factual. And even though we did finish high in the polls, there were only a handful of teams that were consistently in the polls because of the different scholarship rules back then.

• Fire 1