CFB Commissioners: Games Are Too Long

Mavric

It's radical and will never happen, but I'd like to see all replays gone.

No reviews (which is why no replays, in the stadium on the big board, or on TV). Whatever the call is, it stands. It just seems there is no flow to games any more because of all the stoppages for reviews.

Ya let's take away reviews that very well could have an huge impact on the game.

These kids practice hard every week and deserve fair results

Clock stoppages are the obvious 'cause' and there are many reasons for the clock to stop besides 'first downs' and the most obvious difference between NFL and college game is the scoring. College football has a bunch more scoring and therefore a bunch more time outs for extra points, kickoffs, change of possessions rigamarole etc.

No doubt there are a load of commercials and the 'in stadium' ones are some of the most aggravating. I can barely tolerate to watch a game on TV. Hell, TV in general sucks due to the excessive load of crappy commercials. Not necessarily on the football broadcasts but in some cases, you can find TV commercial breaks that are 10 minutes long! If the networks are trying to squeeze in another 7 commercial breaks in a typical 4 hour time slot for a three hour football game or maybe find a way to televise another 20 games or more per season, it is because they lack for decent programming. More TV games when the market for football is already over saturated to the point viewership and attendance is on the decline nationally, despite a growing population is NOT good. The economy needs to improve considerably and likely will to make this all more affordable as well.

It's radical and will never happen, but I'd like to see all replays gone.

No reviews (which is why no replays, in the stadium on the big board, or on TV). Whatever the call is, it stands. It just seems there is no flow to games any more because of all the stoppages for reviews.

Ya let's take away reviews that very well could have an huge impact on the game.

These kids practice hard every week and deserve fair results

Oh no. How did they survive for the first 100 years before replay. Bad breaks happen, both ways.

The fans remember those plays from years back a lot longer than the kids do.

I do understand the want/need for calls to correct.

I wouldn't mind so much if they did it more like the NFL. Make it a coach's decision to challenge a call. There are just too many reviews in the college game.

I know the bottom line is to get the calls correct, but it just takes so damn long.

I'm failing to see any problem. We wait the whole off season anticipating being able to watch football. Now somebody wants to reduce the length of time we get to watch the games. That is time where you are in a stadium or on your couch doing nothing except having a beer and watching a game. No chores, no work....

I say we fire anybody that tries to shorten the games.

• Fire 2

I'm failing to see any problem. We wait the whole off season anticipating being able to watch football. Now somebody wants to reduce the length of time we get to watch the games. That is time where you are in a stadium or on your couch doing nothing except having a beer and watching a game. No chores, no work....

I hear what you are saying, but you don't think 4 hour games are a problem?

Only if the team I bet on is getting killed!

Usually only if Nebraska is involved. The tOSU, Iowa and Tennessee games sure could've been much, much shorter.

But seriously, yeah, the games could be shorter. Reduce some of the commercial breaks and adopt some of the NFL clock rules and problem solved. I like reviews and having a way to correct bad calls but they need to speed up the process. It's gotten better but still some of them seemingly take forever.

I think the fact that EVERY little thing is reviewed in college vs NFL and similar reviews for the lovely targeting bs. Scoring plays, turnovers and let coaches challenge, that's it.

This seems to come up about every 10 years. I remember this coming up last during the Callahan days so I suppose we're do.

Nebraska is about the only game I watch "live" otherwise it's pause, check to see if I'm still married and have kids,...maybe talk to them, see how old they are, then get back to the game and buzz through the commercials and endless replay review.s

There is a problem with all these reviewed plays. There are a number of these plays which cannot be discerned clearly even with review. What I mean is there are plays that are so close that if you took 10 guys to look at the play, 5 will call it one way and 5 will call it the other. The plays are just that close. Also camera angles often are imperfect. However, regardless of how the replay turns out, we are guaranteed that it will take time. This slows down the game, ruins the flow of the game.

The flow of the game, excitement of the game, used to be in the playing of the game. Now it is in the extracurriculars. It is a bad sign that we have a paid rules expert to talk in our ear just to help get us through these delays, awful.

It is supposed to be about an exciting GAME.

If we want to be that critical and perfect, lets just do away with the scoreboard, tape the game with about 100 cameras,send the whole documentation to a team of uber humans at MIT and wait three weeks for a ruling on who actually won. But OH wait that is not perfect enough. So we had better allow the "losing" team due process in the form of legal appeals because the kids just work so hard we owe it to them to get it right.

Clearly this attitude isn't coming from fans, or at least the ones who stick with the sport besides merely watching the "big" games every so often. They've already shortened games once during my lifetime (late 90s if I'm not mistaken).

I recall one study a few years ago (if I have time to find a link, i'll post it), where they determined that the actual action you see during an NFL game telecast is about 13 minutes. "Action" being the time the ball is snapped to the time the play is ruled dead. Most of the viewing time is commercials (obviously) and post-play/pre-snap time, including injuries, officiating issues, etc.