DC Candidate List

Mavric

Donte Williams just followed Tosh...let the top 10 classes begin

Would be an amazing hire. Although some husker fans probably wouldn't like it.

I generally would not want someone that doesn't have full DC experience, but if we took one person not in the role, this would be the guy. He is young and energetic and has excelled in some great programs. I would take him over Diaco anytime.

And there is this...apparently Wilcox, the new Cal coach, is pushing hard to get Tosh to be his DC. That would be a great duo and would hurt our Calibraska recruiting efforts as we would have to compete with Cal on top of USC and UCLA and Stanford.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/cal-football-head-coach-search/2017/1/12/14259798/tosh-lupoi-justin-wilcox-california-golden-bears-defensive-coordinator-rumor

I generally would not want someone that doesn't have full DC experience, but if we took one person not in the role, this would be the guy. He is young and energetic and has excelled in some great programs. I would take him over Diaco anytime.

And there is this...apparently Wilcox, the new Cal coach, is pushing hard to get Tosh to be his DC. That would be a great duo and would hurt our Calibraska recruiting efforts as we would have to compete with Cal on top of USC and UCLA and Stanford.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/cal-football-head-coach-search/2017/1/12/14259798/tosh-lupoi-justin-wilcox-california-golden-bears-defensive-coordinator-rumor

Yeah, Lupoi has been a terrific recruiter.

From ESPN:

Why is Lupoi such a great recruiter?

"The kids understand when they talk to him, how much he cares about this place," said running backs coach Ron Gould, who is in his 15th year at Cal. "Kids want to be around that kind of passion. You look in his eyes, and you see this guy has no quit. Listen to him for 30 seconds, and you feel his heart beat."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/20653/how-cals-tosh-lupoi-became-an-elite-recruiter

Passion because he loves the place...sounds like US!

Yeah, Lupoi has been a terrific recruiter.

From ESPN:

Why is Lupoi such a great recruiter?

"The kids understand when they talk to him, how much he cares about this place," said running backs coach Ron Gould, who is in his 15th year at Cal. "Kids want to be around that kind of passion. You look in his eyes, and you see this guy has no quit. Listen to him for 30 seconds, and you feel his heart beat."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/20653/how-cals-tosh-lupoi-became-an-elite-recruiter

Passion because he loves the place...sounds like US!

Great find...I have heard about that too. I definitely feel he would connect better with the players and the other assistants than Diaco.

Not sure the issue some have with Diaco though I don't know much about him. I thought Notre Dame had a really good defense when he was in charge. Some people are a lot better coordinators than head coaches, his lack of success as head coach of Uconn isn't a red flag for me

I agree. He's a Broyles award winner that had a scoring defense that never ranked worse than 27th all four years at Notre Dame and he's coveted by another P5 school. I don't think we are going to land a candidate with better credentials than that.

He had one year of a top-ten defense as a DC, this was the year he won the Broyles award, and 3 years where his defenses averaged around 60th in the nation. His defenses at UConn also sucked, and as head coach you would think that is the area he would excel. As a head coach he was 11-26. If we want a mediocre hire, then Diaco would be your man. I am hoping Arkansas picks him up soon.

In his 4 years at DC for Notre Dame, his defenses never ranked below 27th.... I could care less what he did as a HC.... BECAUSE WE AREN'T LOOKING FOR HIM AS A FRIGGIN' HC.

That is flat out wrong. Here is a link to the 2010 defense rankings for the season. Notre Dame was 53rd in the country. At Cincy the year before his defense was 81st. I'm not saying he didn't have a good year in 2012, but making a selection based upon one good year is not what we should be doing. Banker had one or two good years at Oregon State as well. Now I am looking at yards allowed per game, so there are certainly different variables that can be considered. If you simply look at scoring defense, the numbers are better, but then when you continue to look at scoring defense, UConn was terrible in 2014 and 2016 in the country. If that is his specialty, then that should be reflected in the output on the field even when he is a head coach.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards/year/2010

Lmao yeah because yards per game mean so much. I dont give a crap if the defense gives up 1,000 yards a game as long as the hold them to less points than us. Thats what matters, not yards per game

And Oregon and every other team on the West Coast.