Day Light Savings Time

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

After this year we will never change clocks again...in 10 years people will tell stories about how we used to change clocks twice a year and kids will look at them like they are insane.

We'll change them again in fall 2022 and spring of 2023. Then we're done. Unless what I read about it today was changed.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm happy about this for purely selfish reasons. I'm not a morning person. This gives me more daylight while I'm awake and time to go for a walk after work while the sun is still out. I also prefer driving to work when it's darker.

I’m grumpy about it for selfish reasons.  I like to wake up around 5 and be in bed by 9.

The idea of it being light out at 5:30am and dark at 7:30 gets me excited.  I would love not having to wait until 9:30 for firework shows to start!  I would be thrilled to have standard time year round.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, nic said:

Wait….are we staying on daylight time or standard time if this passes?

Daylight. But one thing I'm confused about (or the Senators are confused about?)

"Senator Marco Rubio, one of the bill's sponsors, said supporters agreed the change would not take place until November 2023 after input from airlines and broadcasters."

This is a really weird way to say that March 2023 is the last time we change our clocks.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I would be okay with either one but I just wish they would pick one and stick with it.  I think @knapplcidea of splitting the middle is ideal for hitting both arguments.

Eh... I'm tired so tell me if I'm being stupid here, but wouldn't that mean every other time zone in the world would be at 30-minute intervals difference from us? Like when it's noon here wouldn't it be 4:30pm in England? That's the problem I see with this idea. Unless knapp was suggesting the whole world agrees on this.

13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Eh... I'm tired so tell me if I'm being stupid here, but wouldn't that mean every other time zone in the world would be at 30-minute intervals difference from us? Like when it's noon here wouldn't it be 4:30pm in England? That's the problem I see with this idea. Unless knapp was suggesting the whole world agrees on this.

India is 30 minutes off from the US. So we would have partner.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why not split the difference and the declare we are then on the hour to keep us in place with 99% of everyone else...

6:30pm becomes 7:00pm by decree

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Daylight. But one thing I'm confused about (or the Senators are confused about?)

"Senator Marco Rubio, one of the bill's sponsors, said supporters agreed the change would not take place until November 2023 after input from airlines and broadcasters."

This is a really weird way to say that March 2023 is the last time we change our clocks.

Ha!  Why would I not be surprised if he meant to create the bill to stay on standard time but instead passed a bill for daylight! :laughpound

• 11 months later...

I honestly don’t care that much which version we get stuck on. Just not changing clocks is the most important piece.

That said I like the current one as of today where it’s lighter at night. I don’t like it when it’s dark when I’m getting off of work. 

• Plus1 1