Day Light Savings Time

40 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Sorry, didn’t realize you guys were in the middle of an actual factual real life conversation...forgive my poorly timed attempt at humor on this intensely serious subject.

I’m so embarrassed right now.  How will I ever fix my reputation on this board?!?

I’m not sure but no reason to apologize. 

Humor should always be welcome fwiw

• Plus1 1

I don't know why the switch has to be an hour either way. 

During Standard Time, from November to March, the sun rises at about 7:45am & sets at 5pm (in Lincoln).

During Daylight Savings time, it rises just before 6am & sets at 9pm. 

People are upset that if we go with DST forever, the sun won't rise until 8:45am in the winter, and they're upset that if we eliminate DST, it'll rise at 5am in the summer and set at 8pm.

So don't make it an hour swing either way. Make Forever Time right in the middle of those two. That way the sun:

Rises at 8:15am and sets at 5:30pm during the shortest winter days, and...

Rises at 5:30am and sets at 8:30pm in the summer.

You still have plenty of sunlight after work in the summer, your drive to work in the winter will be in the dark (like it is for most people), but you'll have plenty of light on your drive home. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't know why the switch has to be an hour either way. 

During Standard Time, from November to March, the sun rises at about 7:45am & sets at 5pm (in Lincoln).

During Daylight Savings time, it rises just before 6am & sets at 9pm. 

People are upset that if we go with DST forever, the sun won't rise until 8:45am in the winter, and they're upset that if we eliminate DST, it'll rise at 5am in the summer and set at 8pm.

So don't make it an hour swing either way. Make Forever Time right in the middle of those two. That way the sun:

Rises at 8:15am and sets at 5:30pm during the shortest winter days, and...

Rises at 5:30am and sets at 8:30pm in the summer.'

You still have plenty of sunlight after work in the summer, your drive to work in the winter will be in the dark (like it is for most people, but you'll have plenty of light on your drive home. 

Because if you did it in a half hour increment, it would be extremely confusing when dealing with other areas of the world.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They can adjust to us. 

*Scott Frost likes this*

FWIW, I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other on DST, except March is always the wort time change. Even if I get the same amount of sleep each night, my body is just out of whack for several days. I woke up this morning tired as hell and I slept for almost 9 hours.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I feel like maybe some people don't know about this?

Half Hour and 45-Minute Time Zones

While most time zones differ from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) by a number of full hours, there are also a few time zones with both 30-minute and 45-minute offsets.

This was what I was thinking of when I wrote that line.

Yep it was obvious  but  good in a bad way   (felt good when he said it, the bad being Scott thus far loving up to it)

600x400.jpg

• 7 months later...