Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

I am ok with paying over $1M but never for Diaco. If it was Venables or Aranda I would as they have consistenly shown results. Diaco had one strong year and the rest was mediocre or worse.
People you've mentioned already make north of a million on proven teams. Why would they leave. You've got to be realistic.
I get that and am the one to originally post their salaries, but they are making that much because they have consistently (keyword here) delivered great results. Diaco is nowhere near their level and would not deserve 7 figures

It's not about what you deserve, it's about what the market dictates and it appears that the market for Diaco is $1mm+
One can question whether someone is deserving of this market rate. You first have to ask whether this person is the right fit for our opening, and I am not sold on him. But if Riley thinks he is the guy, I will respectfully disagree with that decision and paying over $1M for Diaco. I tend to think guys making over $1M as a DC should be those "slam dunk" hires which he is not.
Wisky and Arky want him too

Well we have seen some of the better DCs just land HC jobs with Fickell to Cincy, Geoff Collins to Temple, and Wilcox likely heading to Cal. Also Todd Grantham was just signed by Miss State, so I dont think there is a great supply of proven winners out there. You can settle on Diaco or take a risk on someone like Lupoi who doesnt have the DC experience. There could be surprises to of guys Riley knows from the NFL. I will be hoping that Arkansas lands Diaco.

I am ok with paying over $1M but never for Diaco. If it was Venables or Aranda I would as they have consistenly shown results. Diaco had one strong year and the rest was mediocre or worse.
People you've mentioned already make north of a million on proven teams. Why would they leave. You've got to be realistic.

I get that and am the one to originally post their salaries, but they are making that much because they have consistently (keyword here) delivered great results. Diaco is nowhere near their level and would not deserve 7 figures

It's not about what you deserve, it's about what the market dictates and it appears that the market for Diaco is $1mm+

Paying elite money for an elite coach is the best money a program could ever spend. But, paying elite money for a mediocre coach is the biggest waste.

• Fire 2

Paying elite money for an elite coach is the best money a program could ever spend. But, paying elite money for a mediocre coach is the biggest waste.

Very... Very... important point.

Could someone please explain that to our athletic department.

Not sure why you are so dead set on using yards per game as your metric to evaluate D coordinators. Diaco, like Belichick, runs a bend don't break defense so the yardage is expected. At the end of the day, points are more important than yards.

Points are more important to winning games but yards are a better indicator of how effective the defense is.

One defense gives up 70 yards on a drive but the other team misses a field goal. Another defense hold the offense without a first down after a turnover and they make a field goal. Which defense was better?

I thought we were talking about defenses here? Plus Read has already been fired!!!

Not sure why you are so dead set on using yards per game as your metric to evaluate D coordinators. Diaco, like Belichick, runs a bend don't break defense so the yardage is expected. At the end of the day, points are more important than yards.

Think of every championship level defense you can. How many of them have a bend but don't break philosophy?

This^

Alabama and the patriots? Is this a trick question?

Would love to hear how a defense that has been in the Top 5 in yards allowed per game 8 of the last 9 years can be classified as "bend don't break".

Points are more important to winning games but yards are a better indicator of how effective the defense is.

One defense gives up 70 yards on a drive but the other team misses a field goal. Another defense hold the offense without a first down after a turnover and they make a field goal. Which defense was better?

I thought we were talking about defenses here? Plus Read has already been fired!!!

How many more times do I have to mention "defense" in each sentence to get you to realize that I was talking about defense?

• Fire 1

So who are we suppose to go get? Who would be the only coaches worthy of elite money that we could REALISTICALLY get?

• Fire 1

People gotta remember that Bielema played LB with Diaco at Iowa in the early 90s and then both were GAs there right after they graduated. You'd think he would for sure take that Arkansas job

I agree but right now he is possibly weighing the options of two jobs that very much come with a bit of a hot seat head coach.

So who are we suppose to go get? Who would be the only coaches worthy of elite money that we could REALISTICALLY get?

Exactly. Unless there is truly a dark horse NFL guy being considered, Diaco is probably the best guy available. Couple that with Arkansas paying their last DC 800k and it's easy to see we are paying a lot more regardless.

• Fire 1