Where do we go with next hire?

I hope Diaco hires someone that is familiar with his defense, so it will help in the transition.

I kinda figured Riley would be the one doing the hiring. I don't think I've ever heard of a Coordinator hiring his own staff.

The head coach will often work with their coordinators to bring in the position coaches. They at least will get input from the coordinator.

I would agree with that and I'll also say that I think this is FAR different from the Coordinators doing the hiring. By saying that, we are effectively saying he is the top dog in the decision making process and I'd be surprised if that was the case.

I hope Diaco hires someone that is familiar with his defense, so it will help in the transition.

I kinda figured Riley would be the one doing the hiring. I don't think I've ever heard of a Coordinator hiring his own staff.

The head coach will often work with their coordinators to bring in the position coaches. They at least will get input from the coordinator.

I would agree with that and I'll also say that I think this is FAR different from the Coordinators doing the hiring. By saying that, we are effectively saying he is the top dog in the decision making process and I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Odd thing is, the past couple changes to coordinators Nebraska has had, people have been clamoring for the coordinators to hire the coaches.

I'd be curious to know who Diaco might have in mind. He's coached at a lot of schools, probably has his own connections.

Do Parella or Bray have any experience coaching a 34? If not, I think an OLB coach who is a good recruiter would be ideal here.

I'm fairly certain that Parella played in a 3-4 during his NFL career. That helps.

I still feel pretty certain that I am right about that unspoken handshake agreement that B1G coaches don't go to intra-conference schools. Every example people threw out didn't apply to that scenario, and I'm trying to find any info to back it up but I swear I remember hearing plenty about this when we first joined the conference.

Rick Kaczenski - Iowa's defensive line coach from 07'-11' and jump shiped to Nebraska for the same position in 12'

Does that count?

• Fire 1

I still feel pretty certain that I am right about that unspoken handshake agreement that B1G coaches don't go to intra-conference schools. Every example people threw out didn't apply to that scenario, and I'm trying to find any info to back it up but I swear I remember hearing plenty about this when we first joined the conference.

Rick Kaczenski - Iowa's defensive line coach from 07'-11' and jump shiped to Nebraska for the same position in 12'

Does that count?

Perhaps it is just the timing there but it seems Iowa got the better of that bargain.

• Fire 1

I'd be curious to know who Diaco might have in mind. He's coached at a lot of schools, probably has his own connections.

Do Parella or Bray have any experience coaching a 34? If not, I think an OLB coach who is a good recruiter would be ideal here.

I'm fairly certain that Parella played in a 3-4 during his NFL career. That helps.

I thought so too, but I wasn't certain, not even fairly so.

Good catch Dewiz. I stand mistaken.

I am not aware of any unwritten rule but I think the reason you don't see many lateral moves without a significant raise is because it just isn't natural. Lateral moves usually arent deserving of much of a pay increase and not too many are going to want to only change the name on the bank account of the check they're cashing. There usually has to be another reason; increased pay, better title, more responsibility, something...or possibly they are aware their days are numbered at their current employment. I don't have an explanation for kaz jumping ship at Iowa but I think we can speculate it was probably that last reason.

Tosh

Tosh was my pick for DC. Would be great to see the wombo combo of Diaco (DC) and Lupio (Co-DC/OLB).

Good catch Dewiz. I stand mistaken.

I am not aware of any unwritten rule but I think the reason you don't see many lateral moves without a significant raise is because it just isn't natural. Lateral moves usually arent deserving of much of a pay increase and not too many are going to want to only change the name on the bank account of the check they're cashing. There usually has to be another reason; increased pay, better title, more responsibility, something...or possibly they are aware their days are numbered at their current employment. I don't have an explanation for kaz jumping ship at Iowa but I think we can speculate it was probably that last reason.

Gentleman's agreements are for suckers, if you ask me. Remember Bo abstaining from recruiting Oklahoma? That helped Nebraska a TON.

Tosh

Tosh was my pick for DC. Would be great to see the wombo combo of Diaco (DC) and Lupio (Co-DC/OLB).